G&G CM16 Carbine RIS handguard

Stoat Muldoon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So a couple of months ago I acquired my CM16 as per recommendation on this forum. I didn't need to post anything, just read other "what gun should I get?" threads and everyone seemed to recommend the G&G Combat Machine line, and the CM16 transparent fit the bill since it wasn't an RIF (No UKARA yet), nor was it an ugly shade of green or orange. But now I'm looking for some attachments for it, and have already got a cheap £20 RDS from eBay (With a homemade polycarbonate protector, of course!) and that's very helpful, but I'd like to add some stuff to the gun's front.

Now, that's an issue for the CM16 Carbine since it has the run-of-the-mill-plastic handguard, so I need an RIS one. Preferably one that comes in two halves like the standard, so I don't have to buy a new stock to put the battery in.

Oh, look, I think to myself, G&G do just the thing!

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=278_343_610&products_id=8753

And then I look at the price. Not worth it for something that's only going to allow me to attach a fore-grip and a flashlight. If I was prepared to spend that amount of money for RIS rails, I'd just sell my current gun and use the money I would have spent on rails combined with that income to buy a GR-15 Raider L.

So my question is:

What RIS handguard can I buy for my CM16 that'll not break the bank, yet still fit properly and allow for battery storage?

I found this on eBay that appears to fit the bill, except it's description says it's for a Tokyo Marui or WA M4, and is a tiny bit too short. Although I'm not sure where they measured it from. And on top of that, it might be cheese aluminum. Unsure if that could be too much of an issue, not exactly a high strength requirement there. The lugs at either end look the same as the G&G ones, but I'm not convinced it'll fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYMA-M4-16-Aluminum-RIS-RAS-CQB-Rail-Handguard-M014-/291185565092?pt=UK_SportingGoods_OtherSports&hash=item43cc031da4

There's also this APS one. Not a lot in the way of details here, might be a tad higher quality looking at the price and finish on the metal.

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=278_343_610&products_id=8744

I have no idea how compatible parts like this are between guns, and I couldn't find any reference to RIS handguard fitments on here and a few other forums, so I figured I'd just ask.

I hope I put this thread in the correct place, and thanks in advance for any help! :)

I've yet to find one I can get to fit mate. If you do end up finding one you'll either need to start using a lipo stick battery to fit in the RIS, use a PEQ box as a holder or get the gun rear wired to the stock tube.

I've yet to find one I can get to fit mate. If you do end up finding one you'll either need to start using a lipo stick battery to fit in the RIS, use a PEQ box as a holder or get the gun rear wired to the stock tube.

Hmm, wasn't aware standard battery packs wouldn't fit in the RIS handguards. LiPo's aren't really an issue for me as I've had experience with them in radio control cars, and also have a charger. Still annoying I'd need either a new battery or a new stock though. Maybe it'd be an excuse to upgrade to one of those nice MagPul style ones that can hold a battery.

Still, if there's no cheap RIS handguards for the CM16, I'll just leave it as-is for a while, until I upgrade to a better rifle in the years to come.

Although, if I were to upgrade to RIS and get a LiPo, would I need a Mosfet?

I'm not too in the know but as far as I know you would need one, you can get plug and play ones which allow you to programs bursts etc. for around £30.

You could stick with the standard stock (I like the issued look) and get a G&P stock tube which fits a Lipo.

• Supporters

Hmm, wasn't aware standard battery packs wouldn't fit in the RIS handguards. LiPo's aren't really an issue for me as I've had experience with them in radio control cars, and also have a charger. Still annoying I'd need either a new battery or a new stock though. Maybe it'd be an excuse to upgrade to one of those nice MagPul style ones that can hold a battery.

Still, if there's no cheap RIS handguards for the CM16, I'll just leave it as-is for a while, until I upgrade to a better rifle in the years to come.

Although, if I were to upgrade to RIS and get a LiPo, would I need a Mosfet?

The cheapest way is to attach rails to the existing handguard http://ant-supplies.co.uk/Pages/HandguardRails.aspx

Buy two - one for underneath to take the foregrip and one for the top to take the torch. They'll need the deft use of a drill to make holes for the screws but it'll be the single cheapest way unless you can find a second hand Magpul style one (assuming you have the right kind of Delta Ring).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.