Introduction and need some advice (London - Essex area)

Josh95

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello friends,

My name is Josh I have just turned 18 and gained access to some money.

I have been interested in the hobby of Airsoft for a few years now, but have never had the funds to start it.

Now I have said funds and have come here seeking some friendly tips and advice for a noob.

I am looking to spend around £300 on a Air-soft gun, the main aspect I am looking for is reliability and quality.

These 2 features are the most important for me, i want a gun that will serve me well for years without fault!

I am prepared to raise the £300 mark a little bit but nothing to drastic.

If you can recommend a gun of the following criteria that would be fantastic, also if you can recommend certain brands and retailers to trust and others to avoid?

On a sidenote, I am based in the Southeast of England. Can some local recommend the best sites in the area and possibly does anybody want to meet up?

thanks

-Josh

Hi mate. im also from South East, KWA CQR MOD , is a good gun for aroud £170 and you get x3 mags with it. Or for around £300 get a G&G top tech, prob one best guns you can get.

Sites wise Southeast, The best is the Sandpitt next to bluewater, then you have Billericay Airsoft in Essex as well thats woodland the Sanditt is more buildings but a mixture of everything. Might see you there mate,

Jay

Sinister 616

Hi jay, thanks for the reply and suggestions :)

I will be going to billericay on the 26th this month to rent a gun and get a feel for it.

Just a question, how long can i expect my gun to last?

in terms of what?? do you mean if you buy a gun new how long will it last?

All guns need maintenance or they will fail.

Most people will recommend G&G. they are a tried and test make. good reliability and well put together. the entry level guns are pretty cost effective.

http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/airsoft-weapons-c38/electric-rifles-c45/combat-machine-cm16-raider-l-p1481

but a gun will last as long as you look after it.

take in to account that 300 is not alot when you look at accessories to go with you kit. trust me when you start going into the games you will want more and more stuff.

Read this for alot of help

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/17294-ians-guide-to-noobism-on-a-tight-budget/

sorry i hit enter to fast see my above reply.

i maybe wrong but im pretty sure that one of our guys Ed uses this:

http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/airsoft-weapons-c38/electric-rifles-c45/combat-machine-rk47-black-p1486

and he likes it alot. This is his YouTube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJtWrTVSIji1Q3TzeWUaN_A ) Shameless Plug for him.

A good gun thats looked after should last years, that said its luck of the draw could be 10 years or 6 months. If £300 has to buy all your kit as well i would just buy that KWA CQR MOD or like most will say a G&G Combat machine. Coz your need boots, face protection, vest ect ect ect. Dont spend loads at first , see what the other players have go get talking to people then make a choice as your change your mind from now till in a couple of months. Just rent for now. Billericay is a good Woodland site, Ive only been once that was last weekend to there Skirmish Cup, which we won but we promised them we would go for a Skirmish soon, so may see you there. Add my team on facebook Sinister 616 and if your there at the same time you can join forces with us no problem

Jay

Sinister 616

@Moose i subscribed to Ed's channel

@Jay £300 is not for my whole kit, just the gun and accessories for the gun :) I have more money to buy the kit

and i am planning to rent untill i can get my ukara license anyway :)

Thanks for all the information guys, very helpful!

I wouldn't count on the gun lasting more than 6 months without repairs. All guns fail and its because they have high speed moving parts. You simply can't get a gun that will reliably function for years as a primary if you play often. You can extend the life with some maintenance but when a gun breaks you will need parts and some time.

You should learn how to disassemble and reassemble your gun, get a good look at the parts while they are fresh so that when something does break you can find and replace the bad bit. In the end a lot of guns can be very reliable once the worst bit is replaced with something aftermarket that is better.

£300 just for the gun is a good amount of money then mate. There is loads to choose from. Just depends if you wana be a rifle guy heavy support gunner or Sniper.

Have fun mate, Airsoft is bloody addictive , this forum is full of very friendly people that if ya ever need advice or help with something most of the time someone has had the same problem and has the answer.

Jay

Welcome aboard Jay! Another Noobie here, also based in Essex. I'm hoping to get to the Sandpit and to the Billericay site soon ans well as the UCAP Bunker on the south coast and a few others, if I can manage it!

Good luck with your purchases! This is one of those hobbies where you keep finding excuses to buy more and more! and just when you think you've bought all you want? You find something you wan to upgrade!!

I'm just getting to the stage of (hopefully) finishing my purchases, but I know that I will be a slave to the shop and being ex mil and a bit of a gear whore I just can't help myself!! lol

I was lucky enough to be gifted a new GBBR from a very kind mate and since I've spent quite a bit pimping it, a couple of upgrades and also repairs to correct my own half arsed attempts at gun-smitherey!! But it's all good fun!

I'm hoping to get to the UCAP Bunker this Wednesday night for a few hours of fun.

Hopefully see you around some time!

Thank you for the advice BrightCandle, I will make sure to read through the manual of the gun I purchase so i can get an idea of the inner workings.

Hi Cavninja, I will probably meet you some time then if youre also Essex based. I can imagine that buying new bits and pieces is quite addictive! unfortunately its not really possible as im a university student come September (I wont have much money :D)

By the way, I have read that KWA have a reputation of high reliability so i will probably buy the "KWA CQR MOD" as you have suggested Jay83 :)

In terms of performance, would a top tech G&G gun be much better then the KWA CQR MOD? Because I dont mind paying the extra money if the performance or build quality is noticeable.

Or would it be cheaper to buy parts for my KWA to increase performance :)

Hi Josh im also new to airsoft and based in essex. Im going to Billericay on the 10th August for my first time as they have a boot camp so will be some new players there. Good luck with getting all your bits I have just finished getting mine and will be adding to it im sure.

Cool will see you on the 10th then. Not sure where your from but have you seen a shop on line called rules of engagement? Its in benfleet and they have there own CQB indoor centre im going to have a look next week.

• Supporters

As for maintenance, clean the barrel; leave the rest the hell alone. There's a reason people's guns break before time: it's because they tinker with them!

A decent gun should last years without any major attention, while the parts are moving fast they're under very little strain most of the time (pulling back a spring isn't taxing), I had a Tokyo Marui M4A1 that I bought in 2001 that when I sold it last year was still running as well as when I first bought it. I never once opened the gearbox.

Buy a decent gun from a decent company and use the warranty in the unlikely event that it breaks. I can highly recommend G&G toptech or combat machine guns (with a budget of £300 a combat machine is probably more where you should be looking) from Pro Airsoft Supplies. They honour their warranties and the guns are solid.

Hi Josh,

If you can get yourself down to Dragons Lair in Brentwood at some point you'll find another excellent site in Essex and the guys from Airsoft Zone also set up shop there on game days.

Have done Billericay and some of the Essex sites myself so might see you on the field at some point.

Happy hunting and welcome to the forum!

P.S. I have a G&G Top tech and a KWA GBB pistol and can vouch for quality and reliability on both.

Thank you very much guys, I have gathered a lot of information now!

I think I will get a G&G top tech then, I didn't know you could get warranties.

Im a little confused when looking on the website at which G&G guns are "Top tech" are these the "Gen3" ones?

proairsoft, landwarrior tend to be the big suppliers of G&G's although there are others as well. Most of the top techs will say that in the description and you can always check on the guay2.com website what types each is. But its kind of easy, the expensive ones are top techs!

• Supporters

Gen3 is the generation of toptech that it is, if you can, get a gen3 one as they come with a lot of stuff that the gen2 guns don't, better wiring, a MOSFET already installed, a good quality barrel. Gen2 are still really good, but the gen3 ones are just a little bit better.

Yes. Gen 3 is the latest G&G version of that gearbox. Superb guns all round

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.