A.E.G M7A1 hop-up question.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ill be getting my new gun soon ( http://www.airsoftworld.net/aeg-m7-special-forces-xmas-offer-deal.html ) and i've heard hop up/accuracy isn't great out the box, so was looking to upgrade. I was thinking this hop unit http://www.shootercbgear.com/product_info.php?cPath=29_37_74&products_id=2930 with a prometheus soft rubber. Gun upgrades are a totaly new thing for me so could anyone recommend a good hop unit and rubber?

• Supporters

Dude. Seriously, if this is your first gun why buy something that you think is going to need messing about with straight away?

Dude. Seriously, if this is your first gun why buy something that you think is going to need messing about with straight away?

Its not my first gun i've just never tinkered around with internals before?

• Supporters

Its not my first gun i've just never tinkered around with internals before?

Sorry, for some reason I thought it was your first!

In that case, yes! But buy it from our very own Pete at AK2M4 http://www.ak2m4.co.uk/shs-full-set-m4-hop-up-chamber (bit more but at least it's supporting UK businesses, plus it'll get to you way quicker).

wow, that used to be £149.99........ they really have jacked up the price... anyway, it looks pretty cool, especially with the kx3.

You should eventually buy this for it http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Accessories_RIS_Systems_MadBull_Noveske_Rifleworks_Free_Float_7_25inch_Handguard_Rail_for_M4_Series_AEG.htm it would look amazing as a noveske diplomat, if you can't afford that, you could always buy a cheap knock off from ebay.

Does the actual hop up unit really make much of a difference? I can understand the bucking having a effect on performance but does the housing?

This genuinely interests me as I am now starting to delve into gun mechanics and I want to gain as much knowledge as possible

• Supporters

Does the actual hop up unit really make much of a difference? I can understand the bucking having a effect on performance but does the housing?

This genuinely interests me as I am now starting to delve into gun mechanics and I want to gain as much knowledge as possible

If the gun has a cheapo plastic hop up (not all plastic hops are created equal) then consistency of shots can be a bit poor.

If the gun has a cheapo plastic hop up (not all plastic hops are created equal) then consistency of shots can be a bit poor.

That makes perfect sense. I hadn't considered consistency, only accuracy of single shots.

I've heard very bad things about Asia Electric Guns.

I've got their PDW and its excellent imho. Internals are much better than a lot of clones. I just swapped the spring out and fitted a TM hop rubber (its a metal hop) and Madbull Black python tbb. Run it off a 10.8v NiMh in PEQ, great rof and accurate. Had no problems whatsoever.

• Supporters

The quality of the hop-unit is as important as the bucking imo, a cheap unit will have flex in the parts, or inconsistencies in the finish which will alter air seal at best and inconsistently apply hop-up at worst. I've often said that there's no such thing as an accurate airsoft gun, just a consistent one. The key to finding that consistency is removing all of the variables;

hop-arm flex applying inconsistent pressure on the rubber,

hop rotation (along with the barrel) caused by an off-spec hop unit not fitting snugly in the outer barrel,

a loose adjustment dial moving around with the vibration of the gearbox,

off-spec chamber leaking air because the bucking doesn't fill it properly, or worse being too tight and deforming the bucking resulting in mis feeds and jams...

I could go on!

Short version, decent hop-up unit is key to performance. One of the many reasons Marui am bestest... they make the best hop-up units going.

I've got their PDW and its excellent imho. Internals are much better than a lot of clones. I just swapped the spring out and fitted a TM hop rubber (its a metal hop) and Madbull Black python tbb. Run it off a 10.8v NiMh in PEQ, great rof and accurate. Had no problems whatsoever.

fair enough.

Asia electric guns are rebrands of JG apparently,some pictures of their gearboxes on google confirm this.

So if it's JG I'd assume it's going to be their standard formula of 'Make everything sh*t except the gearbox' and from my experiences OP is right in that replacing the hop is a good idea.

SHS,Lonex,ZCI & G&G units are easy to get and good performers. For a bucking,G&G green rubbers,Lonex 70 degree,firefly,Pdi W hold and Prometheus soft are good options and proven. SHS buckings have apparently increased in quality according to some yanks.

You might want to check out a barrel to. As usual,Madbull barrels are a good bet,not the best by any means but cheap and good performance for the price. Stay away from the steel bull since they have some bad QC and machining issues. You can also have a go at polishing the barrel to unfuck some poor finish/machining prevalent. Google should show a few guides.

With the gearbox you can get away with regreasing and reshimming,re greasing is important since JG use awful earwax in their guns.

Asia electric guns are rebrands of JG apparently,some pictures of their gearboxes on google confirm this.

So if it's JG I'd assume it's going to be their standard formula of 'Make everything sh*t except the gearbox' and from my experiences OP is right in that replacing the hop is a good idea.

SHS,Lonex,ZCI & G&G units are easy to get and good performers. For a bucking,G&G green rubbers,Lonex 70 degree,firefly,Pdi W hold and Prometheus soft are good options and proven. SHS buckings have apparently increased in quality according to some yanks.

You might want to check out a barrel to. As usual,Madbull barrels are a good bet,not the best by any means but cheap and good performance for the price. Stay away from the steel bull since they have some bad QC and machining issues. You can also have a go at polishing the barrel to unfuck some poor finish/machining prevalent. Google should show a few guides.

With the gearbox you can get away with regreasing and reshimming,re greasing is important since JG use awful earwax in their guns.

I'm surprised if that's the case, as ootb my KAC PDW has an aluminium piston head, stainless cylinder and a much more torquey branded motor than any JG gun I've seen before, and even sounds nice too. I'm pretty sure box (which is full coloured with illustrations) says made in Hong Kong too. It's not as nicely finished as the VFC but it does carry full trades, which isn't something JG are known for lol! Got it when Airsoft World were doing them for £150.

I'm surprised if that's the case, as ootb my KAC PDW has an aluminium piston head, stainless cylinder and a much more torquey branded motor than any JG gun I've seen before, and even sounds nice too. I'm pretty sure box (which is full coloured with illustrations) says made in Hong Kong too. It's not as nicely finished as the VFC but it does carry full trades, which isn't something JG are known for lol! Got it when Airsoft World were doing them for £150

I forgot to mention one point- Asia electric guns have minor differences between the JG versions and their versions. But otherwise from my chairsofting adventures the gearboxes look identical to JG ones,but there's a massive amount of parts usage inconsistancy between each batch as per usual with our Gommie m8s.

I think they could be rebranding Dboys too- Newer Kalash AEGs came with aluminium piston heads and neodymium Chaoli motors which is similar to the stuff you mention. The trades too,Dboys make a KAC PDW with trades IIRC.

I forgot to mention one point- Asia electric guns have minor differences between the JG versions and their versions. But otherwise from my chairsofting adventures the gearboxes look identical to JG ones,but there's a massive amount of parts usage inconsistancy between each batch as per usual with our Gommie m8s.

I think they could be rebranding Dboys too- Newer Kalash AEGs came with aluminium piston heads and neodymium Chaoli motors which is similar to the stuff you mention. The trades too,Dboys make a KAC PDW with trades IIRC.

Interesting stuff! Even in China I guess there can only be so many factories turning out airsoft guns.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.