so I got my DMR... now what?

two_zero

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

a real sword SVD.. I hear is one of the few guns that are somewhat DMR ready ootb, and the groupings I've seen on youtube is satisfying. which is a very nice thing indeed, but never the less I intend to start working my way thru "THE Holy Grail of building your DMR AEG". One of my main concerns about getting a DMR is the gearbox lockup. The thread explain that by installing an AB mosfet as well as removing the anti-rev-latch & spring, I will remove the possibility of gearbox lockup.. so.. where do I best get an AB mosfet? (UK/EU/international)

Oh the gun is 2nd hand, have seen very little action, has been fitted with a madbull hop and deans connectors. also comes with 4x posp scope and 3 mags.

apart from that I realise this is a fairly heavy gun, meaning I will need a decent sling system. especially as sidearm will have to be utilised whenever indoors or going around corners. The local sniper guy who was the person who inspired me to get a precision rifle quite smoothly uses a 3 point sling. So is there any particular ones that are practical and comfortable? or any other sling systems to be recommended?

I do not currently have a sidearm in Sweden, but I do think an AEP might be more suitable than a GBB, as it might come to see a fair amount of more use than I normally would put on sidearm. I am thinking the CYMA or TM g18c.

Bipod... yay or nay? near the end of the barrel or near the receiver?

And apart from mentioned, as well as starting to read up on sniping & fine tuning.. anything else I should consider? any particularly good guides to read?

oh.. and yea.. I'll prob go lipo... happy now? so yea.. lipo warning systems/chargers? where from, which to get?

How old is it ? The 2nd generation came with the gearbox unlock switch installed. Doesn't stop lock up (which is apparently caused by batteries getting low) but does allow you to unlock 'in the field' (removing mag, pushing down on the plate with a thin screw driver and pulling the trigger - causes the gun to go full auto, unlocking the gear box in the process).

I've been toying with a bipod - the proper ones (which can be got for as cheap as about £40 for a Chinese clone) can be fitted at the front of the lower receiver (just before the wood grip starts) or in one of the sets of lower holes in the hand grip (maybe just the set at the barrel end).

How old is it ? The 2nd generation came with the gearbox unlock switch installed. Doesn't stop lock up (which is apparently caused by batteries getting low) but does allow you to unlock 'in the field' (removing mag, pushing down on the plate with a thin screw driver and pulling the trigger - causes the gun to go full auto, unlocking the gear box in the process).

I've been toying with a bipod - the proper ones (which can be got for as cheap as about £40 for a Chinese clone) can be fitted at the front of the lower receiver (just before the wood grip starts) or in one of the sets of lower holes in the hand grip (maybe just the set at the barrel end).

oh! only seen them sold separately and says they are not sold any more (suppose them being installed on newer ones would explain why). generally the lockup is because you releasing the trigger before the gearbox done the full rotation or something like that, which is more common on low battery.. had plenty of it at cqb sites, but no problem as I can switch to auto to fix it.

I do not know which version it is, it will be kept with a relative until September so I have no access to it. but is there any chance of photographing the mag well in such way that the switch is visible?

so any opinions on the bipod at all?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a bipod for my A&K SVD and I think the receiver mounted one is probably better, both because it would allow you to use the bipod behind sloping cover, with only the barrel then needing to poke over the top, and because it would move the extra weight back towards where you hold the gun when carrying. My first true AEG back in 2006 was a CYMA SVD (horridly inaccurate) and that had the bipod fixed on the outer barrel near the front sight, meaning the front of the gun was very high up when prone and put all the extra weight forward of the handguard, making it quite unsteady to shoot whilst standing or kneeling.

Unless you get an adapter there is just one type of bipod you can use, however it can be placed in multiple positions.

Here's a shot inside the magwell looking towards the trigger.

HRe0FRh.jpg

The screw driver is against a bar that goes across the gun so you can see the grey/silver in the middle and on the right - you push that in (it moves in that direction only).

I've been toying with the idea of getting a bipod for my A&K SVD and I think the receiver mounted one is probably better, both because it would allow you to use the bipod behind sloping cover, with only the barrel then needing to poke over the top, and because it would move the extra weight back towards where you hold the gun when carrying. My first true AEG back in 2006 was a CYMA SVD (horridly inaccurate) and that had the bipod fixed on the outer barrel near the front sight, meaning the front of the gun was very high up when prone and put all the extra weight forward of the handguard, making it quite unsteady to shoot whilst standing or kneeling.

Indeed, thou it seems to be this leaves you fairly exposed in many situations, both by having a barrel sticking out and by forcing you close to the cover? For example if I'm aiming out of a building, my barrel will be visible from the side and because I am force so near to the window the shade would conceal be as well as it would would I stand further in..

maybe even having two bipods might be an idea to consider

Unless you get an adapter there is just one type of bipod you can use, however it can be placed in multiple positions.

Here's a shot inside the magwell looking towards the trigger.

~pic

The screw driver is against a bar that goes across the gun so you can see the grey/silver in the middle and on the right - you push that in (it moves in that direction only).

Thank you very much for the pic and info!! Thou I got to admit I have a hard time seeing anything grey/silver apart from what I assume is the screwdriver, however am I correct in my assumption that the part highlighted green below is what I am looking for? I assume the shade make it look darker than it actually is? oh and what carry system do you use?

33lclg9.jpg

Yup that's the jobbie.

I'm still considering what sling to get myself I'm afraid - not had mine long and so far only back garden plinked as my locals aren't sniper suitable.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.