Metal toothed pistons? ?

straffham

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Wondered what experience anyone has had using pistons with full metal teeth? I've read that they should last longer than plastic teeth ones but also if they go wrong they can cause a lot more damage to gears etc? My inclination is to stick with all plastic ones but I'm open to being converted?

I realise basic ones have 1 or 3 metal teeth, some have half of them metal and others are full metal so would like to find what experiences you guys have had with them, which brands are best or should be avoided etc? Likewise are pistons completely made of aluminium any good or best avoided?

Thanks for any feedback!

Ive always prefered ones with plastic teeth unless your upgrading gears aswell. The plastic ones act as a failsafe so If something goes wrong its only a cheap stripped piston to replace rather than a piston and gears etc

• Supporters

Like Mack I prefer a plastic piston, if your AOE is squared away and you're not running a stupid 30+ RPS idiot cannon a plastic piston will last a long time anyway.

When/if something does go wrong the plastic piston acts as a mechanical fuse in that the gears will strip it long before any damage happens to the gears/bushings/motor/gearbox shell. With a metal toothed piston whichever part is weakest will break first; might just be the £5 pinion gear on your motor, might be the gearbox shell, you just don't know!

Cheers gents, yes makes sense treating is as a mechanical fuse being about the cheapest part to replace if it does get stripped. I don't go for insane rates of fire or power tbh, and have never replaced a piston for the sake of it. I did wonder too if a full metal toothed piston might be noisier in operation.

Anyway I shall stick with the plastic variety!

Thanks for the advice.

• 5 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.