Forum Get-Together

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I just had a thought ... and yes it hurt.

While we was joking around in a previous thread about a starting a party .. I came to the idea about organising a get-together for people of the forum .. something along the lines of a camping, bbq event all members of the forum could be invited too and get to meet one another, etc meet the people from the forums, have a few beers some laughs ..... over a weekend somewhere people could get too .. (Midlands ?? Central ??) maybe bring gear to be sold/swapped .. you get the idea I hope ..

Maybe if it goes well it could be done annually or something a chance to meet those on the forum we talk to everyday but have never actually met.

Good idea or am I just chatting drivel ?

Sounds like a great idea, a good BBQ with some sports games, i would chip in but I think most people here live in england and i'm up here on the border of scotland...... meet in the middle would be great, as long as it's not a 6 hour journey.

I like it!

There is probably a mathematical way around it, Noting all possible attendees locations, Coming up with a somewhat midpoint for the event.

If we are camping and there are guns there, Hell, If we can get legal things sorted maybe we could have a plink about.

We could hire out a site for the day, Hence removing legal restrictions. Other then that I wouldn't mind just going for a meal with you all :)

• Supporters

I was thinking about hiring a site .. that way we can bring down guns and have a play around without worrying about issues .. also the location of such a gathering would need thought ... The midlands are central to most people .. but as AK47frizzle commented, people of Scotland would have a bit of a trek based on individual location. Not forgetting the people of Ireland and Wales of course ..

It never was an easy endeavour.

It's a shame really, London has great transport and everywhere in the UK (Except N. Ireland) Could get to it by train very easily. But it's hidden from the midlands and getting large amounts of luggage around is impractical.

Maybe, Everyone could put a £10 in the pot, We could rent out a site for a day.

1. Meet up, Say our hellos at any old location.
  2. Go for a drink together, Simple things y'know
  3. Put the collected money into hiring a site for the day
  4. Go for a meal, Just mess around doing alternative sports.
  5. Camp for the night or go to a premier inn or such

Entirely ideas, But if we had enough verbal contribution from enough of the members, We could pull something together :)

What I was thinking, we could sort it out with Dev and use the forum PayPal account to do payments meaning we don't have to faff around with cash. Maybe instead of renting a site we rent a field and do a little plinking, trading, any gun maintenance any members who are decent techs could do, and if the landowner agrees a BBQ and camping.

TBH I don't see why they wouldn't, I recently went to an afterparty in a field usually used for livestock and the landowner was perfectly happy having 150+ teenagers there as long as we didn't take bottles, as broken glass could harm livestock. We could camp there too.

I think this would be ideal, however if there's any sites centrally based which offer camping facilities and are open to renting both campsite and gamesite out, I don't see why not.

• Supporters

Renting a field (as in a farmer's field) is likely to be a massive pain in the bum. Any kind of official gathering requiring people to pay is going to need some kind of public liability insurance.

Best bet would be to hire a site for a weekend, though I doubt it'd be cheap. Certainly nothing like £10 each.

• Supporters

We can speak to Dev and see what he says ..

I am more inclined to say rent a site for a weekend or something .. that way we could play airsoft and camp, bbq play football etc do whatever we wanted to within reason .. as for the cost I would love to keep it low (£20-30 pp) but we will have to see what we can do .. ideas are welcome.

• Supporters

I think the main problem you're going to encounter is finding somewhere that'll do it for a reasonable price and also allow you to camp.

Pure airsoft sites generally (not always) don't have the facilities of a bigger paintball enterprise, you're gonna need toilets at the absolute least. However, a paintball place is unlikely to offer their whole site for a weekend for much less than £50-60 a head, considering they can easily make £60 a head off a party group in an an afternoon, four times that in a weekend.

Essentially you're going to need to be able to guarantee to cover the site's normal income for that weekend, which in the case of a paintball site is going to be a LOT of money, probably less so for a dedicated airsoft site but it's still going to be a fair wedge. Especially since if you're on their PLI they're going to want their marshals in attendance to ensure that you're complying with the conditions of their insurance.

• Supporters

Well you got the National one coming up....

maybe if one place is a bit too far for some - perhaps a north & south meet up

to get things going for the moment

perhaps we add/sort out a bit of location info and say Southerners can do Sandpit skirmish

and dunno about North England/Scots - ahh well don't care about them - lol just kidding

if this works out on a single day skirmish - then maybe do a possible weekend midlands meet in September

Could see if there is a good midlands wood/cqb site - if it has a bit of everything that would be the nutz

(keep everyone happy)

then perhaps ask that site if they might run it on a normal weekend off if we get enough numbers

or a normal skirmish day if we don't

No serious win at all costs - just have a laugh - heck I will see if I can get a donald duck loadout costume for a laugh

but baggsy I get to pick Black Death on my team

• Supporters

NAE is a good venue and probably 'THE' best place to organise this .. however its a little short notice for those not going to NAE to try and organise something .. I was more thinking either later this year or something next year giving us time to plan something, get it organised and give people chance to get something organised if travelling ..

It's a hell of a journey for the scots to make for NAE,

Also, As devastating as it might sound, I can't make NAE.

I'm joking, We'll see what other large events the year brings and see if others are more accessible,

A field would be more cost-effective, But it'd have to be out of the public eye.

Also, Warning the local police etc that there are immitation firearms on site? Never really approached these things before.

A skirmish meet up, and pub/meal afterwards would be the best as not everyone has camping equipment. But I dont know if any restaurants or pub would want an army of smelly sweaty people cramped into their place.

maybe if one place is a bit too far for some - perhaps a north & south meet up

to get things going for the moment

That seems ideal.

What kind of field could one rent btw?? I am imagining something like a campsite; just an empty field where people can pitch tents up, with a hole in the ground as toilet.
A field in the middle of nowhere (out of public's view) would be quite hard to get to...

Renting a field (as in a farmer's field) is likely to be a massive pain in the bum. Any kind of official gathering requiring people to pay is going to need some kind of public liability insurance.

And that.

Far as I know there was no need for insurance for my year's Prom afterparty, we only paid £10 each and that was towards portaloos and the cost of renting the field.

There is always the possibility of a forum memeber owning some private land (e.g a wood or a field) which would suit our needs.

• Supporters

Far as I know there was no need for insurance for my year's Prom afterparty, we only paid £10 each and that was towards portaloos and the cost of renting the field.

Did you spend the night shooting at each other? We're there pyrotechnics and the possibility for a passer by to lose an eye if they'd strayed into your party by accident?

That's what PLI is for, not just because it's a gathering of people. You can bet your ass that if you were to lose your eye on site the PLI wouldn't pay you a penny unless the site could be found to have been at fault. A passer by who by bad luck got caught by a BB that had made it through the site's safety netting, they'd get a big payout.

There is always the possibility of a forum memeber owning some private land (e.g a wood or a field) which would suit our needs.

My family owns a large field, But they rent it out to a family with livestock :(

• Supporters

what about this for a midland meetup if it ever gets off the ground

tuddenham - seems to have a bit of everything - anyone been there:

http://www.gunmanairsoft.co.uk/gunman_airsoft_sites_tuddenham.php

Or book out a cheap n cheerful Premier Inn - we take it over and just go nuts

then do a runner before real SWAT arrive

OK - soz really really stupid dumbar$e thing to say especially with hotel staff's health n safety

not to mention the bb mess in the morning & the hungarian/polish maid saying:

"I no clean this $hit up no more"

OK what about the tuddenham site then - anyone been there ???

The NAE - hmm might see about popping down for a day if possible but long weekender

might be ott for this old fart and the care home will be worried if I am gone too long

WW2 games are always based on hiring a site for a Saturday or weekend and camping at the site. You just have to find the right site. Camping anywhere other than an airsoft site is a bad idea as it would have legal issues regarding messing about with guns.

Logically people in Scotland would only have to travel to N. England and meet up with the Northerners to get a lift from there.

A site with buildings would be ideal as those without tents would only need a sleeping bag and mat.

Mhm, Tuddenham seems nice, Not a long drive either.

Booking in a prem. inn seems nice, Get a large joined table for breakfast, It'll be nice.

Be a great event if you could pull it off, though it's going to take a lot of work. Will need to "borrow" some marshals from somewhere to regulate the game or have some of our members volunteer for it.

I'd definitely be up for it though so long as it's not a long drive away. Some people may have to stay over the night before so that's something to consider if we're camping. Plus you have security to worry about - i.e. locals not breaking into cars whilst we're all shooting each other.

• Supporters

Hotels are for girls on nights out ..

Real men camp under canvas :P

I am liking these ideas coming though ... I can always flick a few emails out to some sites and see what the feedback is as a general idea .. that way it will give us better feedback for locations/sites and costs.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.