JG BAR-10 or WE Glock 17 (Gen 4)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Need help deciding between these two. Just noticed both are around £85 from TaiwanGun.

Now immediately this caught my eye because I know they're hard / expensive to find in the UK and aren't often in stock anywhere (in the EU and Asia not just UK)

So I thought I'd do a bit of a cons / pros here and I'd like to know your thoughts. I mean, I know I've been talking about getting a pistol for so long but now....I feel I might miss the chance to get a BAR-10 if I don't go for it if you know what I mean.

BAR-10 Cons:

• Need to buy scope (£15 for cheap China one, £48 for Nikko Sterling 3-9x40 AO IR scope)
  • 0.30g BBs (only £4 for 2000 TaiwanGun P&J ones, but nonetheless extra expense buying a different weight ammo)
  • Internal upgrades pretty much essential (not necessarily straight away but something that I will do - how skirmishable is the BAR-10 stock OOTB?)
  • As a sniper, very useful to have a secondary (due to the 20m MED for precision rifles)
  • Gonna need a new gun bag as well

Pistol Cons:

• Green gas (£5-£9 a can) or propane + adaptor
  • Planned on buying case and extra mags (£45 for couple WE mags, £5-£14 for case etc)
  • If I buy the Glock, can't afford BAR-10 for at least a month or so. Could go out of stock.

So IDK guys - please leave any thoughts and criticisms. I think I've always been a bit like Metile (no offence or anything) in that I'm always thinking about buying different guns (and I have been planning on getting £400 guns etc)

• Supporters

The BAR10 will end up costing more in the long run, but will probably get more use.

Essentially you have to decide if you want a bolt action rifle or a pistol, they fill two completely different niches, although if you get the BAR10 you're going to need a pistol eventually anyway as once someone's inside MED you're as much use as a chocolate fireguard without a sidearm.

If you don't mind a project gun then I'd say the BAR. For something more useful then the Glock is the smarter choice.

You can use your MP5k PDW as a secondary with the BAR 10.

I'd say go for the BAR. You can check mine own and several other reviews for what you need to upgrade for reliability since the VSR and BAR share the same diseases,aside from the VSR having a better hop up unit. They are also fairly rare,they sell like hotcakes and JG are actually having trouble keeping demand despite that there are several factories churning them out in massive numbers. You know JG have struck a gold mine of a gun when it's outselling the TM which has been out since 2003.

I'd also recommend the A&K M24,also getting popular,especially in eastern europe. I've had a peek and a play with a mate's here in Ukraine and I;m really impressed. 90 Degree steel trigger mech stock,steel cylinder,Aluminium piston & a steel spring guide. This is insane value for money and the parts quality is not bad at all,I'm willing to rate them at the same quality as ASPUK/AirsoftProCZ parts. It's reliable out of the box so you can focus more money and effort on the hop up and barrel which,unfortunately are not super good quality. Hop up arm is a bit rough,fair amount of play in the also rough looking chamber. Bucking is mediocre and barrel is standard ACM tripe. JG isn't that much better in all honesty. ehobby asia sell them for 130 dollars. I think if it gains traction it's going to be the next best upgrade platform for sniper rifles and dethrone the venerable BAR 10.

Damn well this certainly isn't an easy choice (first world / airsoft problems eh) but you guys have really helped! Cheers!

I am inclined towards the BAR since I don't skirmish too often unfortunately. Would be better for plinking to use a springer.

Like Evil said, there are Glocks about everywhere. I can imagine Gunfire will still have them in stock for a while whereas I'm not so sure the BAR will. It will be good just to say I own one really :)

I've wanted to get into sniping so I'd say this is a good chance to get a rifle. For £85 or under you can only get WELL rifles which aren't very good (apart from the Warrior L96)

Depending on how much I get for my GCSEs I may be able to get the Glock in August as well anyway :) but we'll see.

Thanks for the videos UTJ, watching them now. Just for future reference, anywhere you would recommend I could pick one up from? I see eHobby have sold out.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.