What difference do motors make?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am trying to buy a new motor for my gun, because mine is getting a bit old. Two things:

1. Please could someone provide some links to some good motors?

2. What difference do different motors make to the gun, as in fps, power or otherwise?

There is a picture of my current motor below and also another motor I'm looking at (is it any good?)

Thanks for the help!

GREG

post-9492-0-22363700-1404484166_thumb.jpg

post-9492-0-52920300-1404484029_thumb.jpg

Stocks motors like the one you have generally are ok but not for super high powered destroying machines.

If you buy high torque motors, they'll defo increase rate of fire because they are more powerful magnets and more windings on each armature, which results them in spinning faster and stronger.

A good brand is an SHS high torque long motor which is probably what you want.

But, if you don't want to spend as much, you can open up the motor, get some copper wires, removed the old one, and wind the copper around the armatures as much as it will fit. Then when you close it up again, it will be spinning a lot faster.

• Supporters

But, if you don't want to spend as much, you can open up the motor, get some copper wires, removed the old one, and wind the copper around the armatures as much as it will fit. Then when you close it up again, it will be spinning a lot faster.

Although you could very easily end up with a knackered motor instead.

Stock motors often have ferrous magnets placed not very close the the armature along with not very tightly wound wire,with some exceptions like Chinese High torques and Marui motors along with a few other.

Aftermarket motors often have neodymium magnets(veeery powerful,most neo motors can support their own weight on a screwdriver) Which are close to the armature to increase power. Coils are tightly wound and the armatures themselves are very powerful. Torque is measured in TPA (Turns per armature) Some stock motors,like Marui ones and chinese high torques have 22TPA armatures and ferrous magnets. Most aftermarket motors have 16TPA. 16TPA is a good balance of speed an toruqe and 22TPA gives amazing trigger response. Generally the higher TPA the faster trigger response you will have but ROF will plummet.

I recommend using above 16TPA motors with 13:1 Gearsets for best performance.

Good motors I've had experience with are the SHS high torque and the ZCI high torque. SHS has 16TPA while ZCI is 22TPA. Both are made in the same factory IIRC.

AK2M4.co.uk is a good site to buy from. A little bit of googleing will find some too.

• Supporters

If you can get hold of one, I highly rate the TM EG1000, it's a nice halfway house between pure torque and high speed, provides serious pull but spins nice and fast too.

If you're pulling anything smaller than an M120 spring it'll give you spectacular trigger response.

Of course, if your pockets are deep then the systema magnum and G&P Devil Jet motors are awesome, but very very expensive.

+1 for the TM EG1000,top motor. The armatures on these things are very good quality. They are one of the best motors for 'frankentorque' builds,drop the armature into a neodymium motor can and you will have a highly efficient 22TPA(or more) motor,runs very quietly and low heat output. It already has a great amount of torque stock,which is surprising for a ferrou magnet motor and with neodymium magnets it's full potential can be realized. If TM didn't decide to save pennies by using ferrous magnets it would be one of,if not the best stock motors.

There's no motor quite like the Systema magnum. IIRC no non frankentorque custom motors have met this motor performance wise. The only problem is that,even though it's one of the best torque motors,it's still expensive since that margin over Chinese neo motors isn't that big(Although noticeable) If you can find one used,or on sale,or cheaper than usual RRP get it because it's a fantastic motor.

G&P m170 has reliability problems I believe, according to a few owners. It likes to burn up it's brushes on 11.1v lipos And performance wise is equal to a 28TPA Chaoli motor you can buy for 20 quid. If you are going to pay a high amount of money for a motor go for the Magnum.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.