Shotgun cap dispenser

BrightCandle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I recently bought myself a TRMR grenade and now I am trying to work out what to do with the shotgun primers that it uses. I stick them in a generic utility pouch but I certainly don't want to be using the original box and sticking them in a sandwich bag is neither going to stop them going off if I get hit on the rig with a BB nor is it going to be fast to reload.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of some shotgun primer "magazines"? A dispenser basically for a small number of primers that I could stow in my gear and quickly dispense a single round so that I can reload the grenade faster. Any ideas?

First off they are primers, there is no projectile, worst case scenario if they do go off is you get a bit warm and sh*t yourself.

But I understand the problem with lugging 100 caps around, especially when trying to reload with gloves and under fire.

I have a Rolson mini capsule thing. It can hold 5 .209 primers safely and is easy to open and use.

You could also look for ear plug holder/tubes

• Supporters

I took a mini Maglite box, the little plastic ones, glued 2 pieces of kitchen sponge, one in the lid one in the base so they were slightly thicker than the box. Then I melted (using a hot nail) some small x shapes in one of the sides big enough to hold my 9mm blanks, it was fairly easy to get into and I used if for a few games.

After a while and I started looking for something a bit less DIY. Eventually I found speed strips that fit the 9mm, but for a shotgun primer you might find it hard to find them if they exist at all.

• Supporters

My mate Joe came up with a pretty ingenious solution...

Basically, you get the little 100 primer pack that they come in and you cut a line of primers off it with a pair of scissors. Then you simply lay tape over the top of them all. It stops them falling out, but as you peel the tape off, it pulls a primer out of it's little hole for you, then you just pluck it off and flatten the tape again.

Works for him fantastically, he just puts them in a pouch like that and gets them out when he needs them.

I just put them all in one of those sealable bags and then just shove them in my grenade pouch under the grenade, with the loading tool going in my utility pouch.

Each to their own, but his solution was so good I thought it was worth sharing.

He also had the idea of using a 12g blank as a .209 primer adaptor. Just knock the primer out of the 12g blank and voila, adaptor.

The tape solution on a strip is pretty genius actually. A lot simpler than my my metal tubular magazine DIY project that was rapidly turning into something far to complicated. I shall definitely try that and just a little bag and see if I can live with that or if I want to get more complicated.

My ideal is probably a top unloading device attached to the inside of the grenade pouch that is kind of spring loaded like a magazine, it pushes gently on the caps to push them up to a place where they can be grabbed but still held by the spring pressure. But it requires pretty much everything you see in a pistol magazine, you need to be able to pull the spring down, and you need the tube closed on both ends but with the top having a gap suitable to grab the primer. Its potentially quite a detailed project and I'll definitely try the lower tech solutions first.

• Supporters

My worry with blanks has always been more that they might be bad ones and leak small amounts of explosive shit out of them and then if a pyro ever lands on me or something, I might go up like a Christmas tree because of all the residue in my pockets and pouches, hence the sealable bag.

Otherwise I'd just have them loose in a pocket.

I only tend to reload my BFG when I'm dead, or with someone covering me from a very defendable position, so ease and speed of access aren't really that high on my priorities list.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.