To TM SCAR or not to SCAR ?

AWG

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So basically I'm looking at a Tokyo Marui recoil SCAR-L CQC. Seen some reviews and held one once but wondering if there's anyone who could help me decide on buying one.

Couple of questions as well; does anyone know if this model is getting dated as I've heard about a V2 recoil engine on other TM models?

Has anyone tried different springs or upgrades with any success or failures ?

Anything else of note, please let me know, cheers

I can guarantee you a lot of responses will say yes. I haven't had the pleasure of shooting one myself but many members on here say great things about them. I know at least a couple of guys own one so they should be able to give you some good advice. Marui guns have magical hop ups so you get excellent range and accuracy.

ok so I found a similar topic to this already posted, so I won't waste anyone's time repeating information, just one question stands really, has anyone heard of the V2 recoil engine or this model being phased out for a newer version, hate to split with the cash to find I should of spent it else where, that is all , thanks :)

This is a strange thread??? It's like posting "a gorgeous girl has asked me for sex...should I sleep with her" lololololol

I indeed am a TM SCAR (h) owner and I too like sex with women

I haven't heard about a new recoil system, but its certainly possible. G&P are about to come out with their version of the TM recoil but not heard anything about a TM update.

The Scar L CQC is a well made gun, TM make lovely things. I tried someones Scar H at my site and I did like the sights and the butt and generally the feel of the gun.

There are three reasons why ultimately I didn't choose it a couple of days ago. The first is the battery compartment, its pretty small and fiddly and does not look like it will take a lipo without issues. The second reason is the TM magazines, on the one hand its great that the bolt locks and all rounds are fed but on the other hand they are downright pricey which on top of a very expensive gun does add up. The third reason is the spring power. People rave about the TMs but that low FPS is a real killer for me, I want to be playing on a 350 fps field and I do not want to be 20% down on power and subsequently range (all else being equal). I don't think its therefore a perfect gun.

I can confirm the stock WILL take a 1600 7.4v with no modification. Even with recoil this is plenty as this battery lasts me two whole games!

With regards to mags, you can buy an adapter for around £15 that will allow you to run standard m4 mags

With regards to the fps, I'm not overly bothered as I'm STILL waiting to be outranged at a site.

I'm not a TM fanboy as such but struggling with your reasoning to not buying it over an alternative. If you just don't like it then that makes plenty sense but you've already said you do. This thread gets more confusing by the minute lol

Thanks BrightCandle/ Black Death, they are all points I've been weighing up as well. The thing that's bugging me the most though is the TM HK 416 is advertised as having recoil shock V2 ? it's hella expensive and I prefer the look of the SCAR but when spend £500 you want to make sure it's the best.

What did you get in the end ?

• Supporters

Thanks BrightCandle/ Black Death, they are all points I've been weighing up as well. The thing that's bugging me the most though is the TM HK 416 is advertised as having recoil shock V2 ? it's hella expensive and I prefer the look of the SCAR but when spend £500 you want to make sure it's the best.

What did you get in the end ?

By recoil shock v2, they're either referring to the version 2 gearbox (which the scar also has) or slightly updated parts. Either way, the Scar is as good as the 416 anyway so you have nothing to worry about. As for uprated springs, mine has a 350 fps one in it and is fine.

In the end I bought a G&G top tech T4-18 (Hk416). I was really keen to get the built in silencer built in (CQB-S) but by the time I went to buy they were sold out and over a month away.

For me there were 3 features of the TM I valued:

- All the BBs feed - something the G&G has as well (mostly just magazine dependent)

- Recoil - The EBB on the top tech is no where near as powerful, its more noise than actual kick. But I also wasn't sure I even wanted recoil and the disadvantage it might bring.

- Bolt locks on magazine empty

So for those 2 features of Recoil and bolt locking I wasn't really willing to pay twice the price and be down on FPS and have a gearbox that really wasn't able to take a more powerful spring. So I cheaped out, decided the TM wasn't really worth it for my first proper game.

Bro this whole down on fps thing you bring up is a bit of a 'false economy' in a way. It's like buying an American muscle car with with 550 horsepower when a Japanese sports car which is lighter and more nimble with just 375 will be lapping it for fun.

Simply put, if you can find ANY G&G gun (stock out the box) shooting 350 to even 370 that will outrange a 300 fps TM recoil then I will refund your purchase money on the spot and give you an additional £100 for accesories!

I think maybe now you will understand that trading 50fps for range is absolutely pointless. Fps means absolutely nothing on the field when I can hit you but you can't actually hit me! Trust me when I tell you you will be extremely annoyed in that circumstance.

If the whole thing of copping out going more budget is your main reason for avoiding the TM then I completely understand and commend your purchase but do not convince yourself that the budget mondeo option will out perform the expensive Ferrari especially based on fps lol.absolutely ludicrous argument lol

• Supporters

The 'version' of the gearbox relates to it's shape; specifically the positioning of the gears in relation to the motor and piston.

A version 6 gearbox isn't more advanced or 'better' than a version 2, it's just designed to fit in a different shape gun.

The SCAR and the 416/SOPMOD/recce/SOCOM/CQBR (all internally the same) both use a version 2 gearbox, but the SCAR has the recoil weight on top of the gearbox instead of in the buffer tube (since the SCAR doesn't have a buffer tube). Neither version is better, just different.

• Supporters

Black Death; The Metaphor Master.

thanks for the responses guys , top effort . The way the the 416 was being advertised as recoil shock V2 was a little confusing but I'll definitely take your word on it being no improvement over the SCAR which is what I wanted to hear really.

The FPS debate is a no brainer for me, after shooting my TM Glocks versus my KWA pistols, consistency and a good hop beats more FPS any day.

Thanks again !

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.