"the punching video" how would you react?

clumpyedge

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

What a tw*t. The kid obviously said he didn't know and seemed genuinely taken by surprise (sounds real shaky when he's on the floor).

More disgraceful is the group of airsofters watching but not intervening.

- Ant

People who seem to do this are the ones who think this is more than just a game or those that have got wound up and have not taken the responsibility to take themselves outta the game to cool down.

Some people just take things far too seriously. Yes it is annoying when you get shot and you are out of the game, either through a misunderstanding or whatever, and yes it can sting a bit, but really, who in airsoft has never had that happen to them? Getting shot the odd time when you out of the game, or are walking to a respawn, or when someone can't see your hand up, or missed hearing you call hit or whatever, is inevitable, it is going to happen every once in a while. Thankfully most of us would simply yell 'stop fecking shooting at me' or 'dead man' or whatever, rather than resorting to throwing a punch, and if they had any other issue, would take it up with a marshall, since that is their purpose. I would suggest that the kind of person who would resort to punches rather than more civilised means, is probably the kind of person who would do so in other situations too, so frankly, I'd ban them from the site. If they can't be trusted not to slap someone over something which is inevitably going to occur once in a while, then why go further and trust them with a gun? Even an airsoft one. Fact is, it's completely unacceptable behaviour.

• Supporters

I think these two incidents are very different:

What happened @Skirmish involved two players who gave each other some lip and one of them threw a punch - out of order, definitely that, and rightly the subject of disciplinary action. As for the length of the ban, I think 1 month is lenient and eventually the Skirmish owners decided to extend it. That they did so tells me that they felt pressure to do so - that they were lenient at first tells me there was a lot more to it than we could see in the video. Skirmish are not hurting for green fees - if they felt that either of those involved had behaved badly enough to warrant a life ban, a life ban is what they would have dished out. There was a lot of "what if it had been..." comments here and on facebook - well, it wasn't. If it had been something else, someone else, some different circumstances, it would have been dealt with differently. That they do deal with all incidents on their individual merits is one reason why the marshalling @Skirmish is so good - there is no hard and fast 'one size fits all' response - Skirmish marshals are trained, not just airsofters who know the rules, and they are paid, not just given free games (deliberately because a paid employee either does it the way the employer wants or they get sacked, which is a different attitude to someone who is an amateur doing a favour for a favour) and, while people who love rules want them written in stone, if they, or you, visit Skirmish you just have to trust that the marshals will guide the day's play towards the most enjoyment for the most players. If you want anything else, it's tough titty. In this case the incident was between the two involved, was jumped on by the nearest marshal, and did not turn into a full on shouting match between groups of mates, or a brawl.

In the vid above the lad comes around a corner, sees the opposition and starts shooting - something any of us could do if we had lost our bearings and/or did not know the site. Nobody tells him it's their respawn, or even says, "WTF?" - the bloke nearest just lamps him. That is a full on cock. That is someone whom should be banned for a long time and whose deets should be circulated, because that is someone whom cannot be trusted. It's completely different to being involved in a row and losing your temper - it's a predisposition to punch first and think second. Nonetheless, a lifetime ban is not something I would ever recommend because it is so final that people are likely to go to great lengths to wiggle/blackmail/bully their way out of it and also likely to take revenge if they feel hard done by. I'd go with 1 year for a 1st offence, 3 for a 2nd and 5 for a 3rd...

Edited by Ian_Gere
maybe 10 years ban for a 3rd offence...

• Supporters

10 years seems a little steep, I've not even been playing for 5 yet and loads has changed. Anything more than 3 might see all their kit out dated at the rate things are changing.

Though I guess there being consequences is the whole point of a punishment in the first place. 10 years though =/ I bet there are few people who keep it up for that long even if they're properly into it.

• Supporters

10 years seems a little steep, I've not even been playing for 5 yet and loads has changed. Anything more than 3 might see all their kit out dated at the rate things are changing.

Though I guess there being consequences is the whole point of a punishment in the first place. 10 years though =/ I bet there are few people who keep it up for that long even if they're properly into it.

Well yeah - i was only suggesting that after a 3rd offence of blatantly punching somebody without even speaking to them first, a pretty harsh punishment would be in order.

I've had 2 experiences now both with cheat calling and both times a marshal was nearby to see if I was hit

First was as a site where we had to attack the fort at the top of this hill was hiding behind cover popped my head to have a look then straight back down behind the steel barricade,next thing a enemy player calls timeout and runs down the hill to me (waddle) got about an inch from my face ( I think he wanted a kiss) and started shouting "I know I f****ng hit you it's people like you who ruin the game" at this point the marshal stepped in and told him he was shooting 2foot to the right and to stop the attitude,off he went up to the top again. Bearing in mind the player in question is a big name in airsoft,leader of the black wolves airsoft team and a ex soldier

• Supporters

I've had 2 experiences now both with cheat calling and both times a marshal was nearby to see if I was hit

First was as a site where we had to attack the fort at the top of this hill was hiding behind cover popped my head to have a look then straight back down behind the steel barricade,next thing a enemy player calls timeout and runs down the hill to me (waddle) got about an inch from my face ( I think he wanted a kiss) and started shouting "I know I f****ng hit you it's people like you who ruin the game" at this point the marshal stepped in and told him he was shooting 2foot to the right and to stop the attitude,off he went up to the top again. Bearing in mind the player in question is a big name in airsoft,leader of the black wolves airsoft team and a ex soldier

I know exactly who you're talking about. Complete nob, drank his own Kool Aid and genuinely believes he's the be all and end all of airsoft.

• Supporters

I know exactly who you're talking about. Complete nob, drank his own Kool Aid and genuinely believes he's the be all and end all of airsoft.

This guy sounds like he's got nothing else going for him, a loser to be more specific.

not sure if I should ask for a name, I will search it later though. Seeing as everyone else is saying about cheaters, I would live to chime in. A don't come across many, I only play at one site though. The big one I always remember was only a month or two back, however it got me pretty angry. It was a kid younger than me, and there are a lot of young people at this site. I still look back to this day and wonder whether I should have stepped in on a case where he advised a group of 10 young players to go to jbbg and how they were awesome. I regret it, but I didn't want to get into an argument, I just hope they didn't do as he told them. Bear in mind he was using a bright orange ak-47 with a bright orange desert eagle that would vent gas every time it shot like it was free as well as a gopro...

Back to the story, he turned up and was renting this time, funny that. Anyway, all day he was bragging about how good he was etc, and there were a few sniper rifles there that time including my mates who I was borrowing. He has put a lot of money into it and it is certainly pretty damn good, and expensive too. But not as good as this guys...

By the time we were playing on the first game it was apparent he wasn't having it. after shooting him a few times, He wouldn't take it so I gave up and attacked from a new corner. But in one of the middle games it was blatantly obvious. I saw him about 70 metres back. Shot at him with my mate's sniper. IK I may have not hit him but I was sure I saw him flinch. He kept advancing... Ok, shot him again 50 metres, 30 and then pulled out the pistol and emptied the mag on him. Still nothing. By the way, my mate had let rip with a hicap on him as well. We informed the team as he literally ran from no cover around our base with about 10 guys shooting him. I'm serious....

Didn't call it. In the end he ran towards us, emptied 50 rounds on him and nothing. I even saw them hit him, he was about 15 metres away. The whole team did it. No hits taken....

Then it was the end, and everyone was going WTF?!?! I went up and asked him if he was hit and his answer was, and I quote this "I don't know mate, don't think so"

We are talking about a 500 fps sniper at 20 ish metres away, as well as the whole team... In the end the marshall kept telling him, and so the marshall got his gun out and started playing to make sure he was taking his hits... I think he left early.

It may sound harsh but this happened the whole day, and everyone had had enough. He had plenty of chances and we let it go a few times, but it was ridiculous..

Bloddy hell that was a long story...

So I've only played twice. First Skirmish was spot on, no issues! I think a couple of people weren't taking their hits but not enough to ruin the day. The 2nd time there was a group of 17/18 year olds (That's not me being age'st, just an observation) that were clearly making their own rules up regarding "Dead men don't talk" and "Medic'ing", again they didn't ruin the day but I don't get their logic! It's a game and I take it for what it is. The only "Jip" I got was from a kid about 14ish that asked me "Why you f*****g standing back here? all the action is over here" to which I replied, "I'm lost! I've spent 5 mins looking for the respawn" lol... My local site have a strict no fighting rule, you do it and you're out forever!

It's a game, some fun, everyone should be there to enjoy themselves but at the same time of it being a game, rules should be followed.. I'm happy in the knowledge that I'm not a cheat and if I've hit someone that doesn't wanna call it (paintball does have the advantages of leaving a mark mind, lol) more for them, I'll just bonus ball 'em

Usually after the second or third shot I'm sure is on target, I go for the head. That works like a charm. :)

:)

• Supporters

Found another video, this time you can see what the little scrub looks like.

2:12 mark, it's the guy with the patch on his arm

4:39 mark, same guy assaults another player on the same day.

He's been banned from the site, according to the people that run Miami Airsoft.

What I noticed is that 5:12 he walks away saying "it's my training sir, special forces" ..Stolen valor?

• Supporters

Thanks for this video. Now I know I'll never go to a site like this. Running around with a small shield in one hand is too unrealistic to my taste. My special forces training about CQB was something entirely different. :D;)

• Supporters

He didn't seem to do it with any aggression though, it was weird.

[Controversial]

Am I watching different videos to you guys? Neither of those are what I would call "punches". They were open handed gestures first and foremost.

The incident in the second video (4.39) isn't even aggressive, he comes round the corner, gets hit, raises his hand and clips the camera, he clearly clips the camera and not the players face and he clearly does it with an open palm, then stops to apologise immediately. That is not a punch, not aggressive and not pre meditated in any way, shape or form in my book.

The first one is a bit less clear cut, and I can see why the "assailant" would be pissed off. First he has come into their spawn, that in its self is frustrating. Second the "victim" is shooting point black inches away from his face, and his very last shot seems aimed directly at his face. It would take an awful lot of tolerance to be happy with that situation.

He doesn't punch the guy, he grabs at his chest with an open palm .... my assumption is to stop him from shooting inches away from his face.

Now the "victim" is clearly a twit, running and gunning at point blank, rushing spawn points and that shield work speaks for itself. He is the guy I hate playing with and IMO he is in need of being put in his place, however I will never condone that starting a fight is the way to do it.

The "assailant" is also a twit for thinking that is the appropriate way to deal with it.

To me this comes down to two twitish personalities clashing at the wrong time and place, both parties are in the wrong.

• Supporters

To me this comes down to two twitish personalities clashing at the wrong time and place, both parties are in the wrong.

Yeah, that is my take on it. Ban them both for a month or two at most.

On the subject of shields: I don't believe they should be allowed at all unless they are as heavy as something that would be real steel rifle bulletproof. If that is the case, fine, do whatever you like with it - there's no need for any further rules, but 'blind firing' should be strictly enforced, so if you peep round an opaque shield and then pull your head back before pulling the trigger, that's cheating.

i so nearly did go ballistic guy was not taking his hits i could sear i was hitting him clear as day he hit me so i called hit he stopped shooting as i went to stand up from nealing, he shoots me in the face on auto. Enraged i pick up my gun on full auto with its drum mag and just start firing. Walking and cursing towards him he then decides to scarper before receiving a inevitable kicking along with the rest of his team. so i can see how these things happen

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.