"the punching video" how would you react?

clumpyedge

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Physical violence needs to be dealt with properly and fairly but also without making a rush decision

Both suspended/chucked off for the day, check and not rushed decision if going down a lengthy or perm ban

Just pointing out - yes it takes 2 to to make an argument but sometimes one party is more the agressor than the other

so any severe or extreme long term ban needs to be implemented with a bit of care

Marshals or the site also needs to ensure everybody plays fair and respects rules and other players

if the site fails to do this - then the site itself can suffer if members say forget this and go elsewhere

(regular non-hit takers, abusive players, or site/marshals failing in their duties - these can ruin a site's rep/business)

Or the site could implement a parental approach to physical violence eg the classic Parent to Child scenario:

"Don't" - WHACK

"hit" - WHACK

"your"- WHACK

"little"- WHACK

"brother"- WHACK

"That"- WHACK

"is"- WHACK

"spiteful"- WHACK WHACK

You soon learnt NOT to answer back or question anything that provoked a further response = more slaps

Just gotta love the ironic way we was told by parents violence solves nothing as I was told:

"because I said so" - WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK

Ahh well, think the situation was dealt with - certainly better than the parental technique

The marshal did his job, and a punishment that they deemed appropriate was given. I'd say case closed.

I've lost my temper before because a player would not take hits, but nothing physical like that, just a bit of cursing. But in hindsight, even that was inappropriate. Though the site I played on had NO marshals, just the guy who walked us to the arena.

• 2 weeks later...

Would have asked myself if it was a slap or a punch. then grabbed the guys gun and wrapped it round a tree, then handed it back to him.

Actually punching someone over a game is stupid as the guy who swung the punch should be banned for a lot longer.

ok the guy didn't have his hand up but you can see him walking back and know you have hit him, if a player starts screaming and getting in your face call a marshal and walk away. its the sites responsibility if they want players to come back to kick out the douches and keep the rest having fun.

since watching a video that was posted about the airsofter being punched in the face i've wondered to myself how others deal with certain situations....
for example this weekend just gone i was at a local skirmish.
i managed to sneak round the side of the enemy advance and creep up on two guys by keeping my back to them so they couldn't see the colour of my band without asking for it first (yes maybe a bit sneaky but by no means breaking any rules) as i get close i "knife" kill both of the guys i was sneaking up on.
I then proceed on my merry way to try and get a few more when at this point the two lads tell the whole team i'm standing there, i'm blue and to light me up! so light me up they did!
i wasn't impressed as id done all the work of sneaking about getting two kills and not doing anything to break the rules (as they were well within their right to ask my colour and didn't!) so i speak to a Marshall and he agrees that the dead men don't talk rule was clearly broken thus my welted state. we go and speak to the lads together to work it out and then they lie about the whole thing and say id gone out of bounds, was holding my tape so they couldn't see it and that i was aggressive (not sure how whispering "knife kill" is aggressive) no i can cope with the fact that they got a group of people to light me up but then to call me a liar and lie about my actions isnt on.
i would never be physical (im in by no means a physical person in regards to fighting) but i gave them a very verbal dressing down for bringing my character into disrepute especially as everyone knows me and that i dont cheat when i play as its my local site.
my question is have you ever got into an altercation of any form as a result of a bad call or just because someone was being a bell?

Can't blame them for calling you out.. If you play foul, expect the same back. Maybe you where playing within the rules, but you where not exactly being a gentleman. Personally I would probably have shouted "hit" or "knife hit" real loud*. I would however not lie to a marshal, I would explain my point of view, and expect to hear no more about it.

*This would also probably technically not be breaking the rules either. But you wouldn't want anyone doing this to you if you sneaked up behind them, the same way you wouldn't want someone to walk up to you in a way clearly intended to cover that they where on the other team, then knife you.

I have not seen this punch video, but I have come in a bad situation once. my first skirmish. I was quite nervous due to it being my first skirmish.. the rules where explained... some people apparently think they are above listening and that it is acceptable behaving aggressively based upon not knowing the rules. attacking team have unlimited lives, and re spawn by taking 30 phases back. the defending team have one life in the first building and one in the second. once a defender die on the first building they have to WAIT dead in the second building until the marshal have declared that the first building is clear and the game moves to the second building.

Now what happened is we have taken about half of the first building. when I get shot from the second building.. oh dear.... so I retreat into a room, sit down on a bench and think "what now......". I can't see any marshal, and I decide not to call for one, after all, it is my first game, I will just let it go. Forgive and forget. I also decide that I've been sitting down for a longer time than it would take to walk 30 phases. So I come out of the room again... and I get a storm of verbal abuse from the guy who shot me and is now walking towards me. I can't recall the full conversation but I at some point said it was a gun hit (and I can not recall if it was or not... or why I would have said it was if it was not... well, except being put in a very stressed situation, being a very peaceful person having someone who resemble a football hooligan looking like he going to physically attack me) and he saying he filmed it (indeed he had a pov camera) and would hang me out... the marshal came and just tried to restore peace..

So I would be exposed on youtube to the world as a cheater, a world who like the person in question, had not heard the rules.. I have however looked for the video and never found it.

To this day I get sad thinking about this whole thing. This situation put me off very much. It changed what otherwise would have been an excellent introduction to the sport. Was I not already so set on airsoft, I would probably not have continued after this.

If the person reads this message, you can send an apology by PM.

• Supporters

Can't blame them for calling you out.. If you play foul, expect the same back. Maybe you where playing within the rules, but you where not exactly being a gentleman. Personally I would probably have shouted "hit" or "knife hit" real loud*. I would however not lie to a marshal, I would explain my point of view, and expect to hear no more about it.

Seriously? No. Dead men DON'T TALK. If you're dumb enough to allow a member of the other team to get close enough to touch you then you deserve to take a silent knife kill and wander off back to your respawn to think about what you could have done differently (I'd suggest a colour challenge, if no answer shoot first and accept that friendly fire is a possibility!). The fact that they couldn't see his arm band is entirely irrelevant. Being a 'gentleman' is also completely irrelevant, if you're within the rules, you're within the rules. YOU shouting out 'knife hit' or whatever deliberately to give away a player's position after you were hit would be much less gentlemanly.

Seriously? No. Dead men DON'T TALK. If you're dumb enough to allow a member of the other team to get close enough to touch you then you deserve to take a silent knife kill and wander off back to your respawn to think about what you could have done differently (I'd suggest a colour challenge, if no answer shoot first and accept that friendly fire is a possibility!). The fact that they couldn't see his arm band is entirely irrelevant. Being a 'gentleman' is also completely irrelevant, if you're within the rules, you're within the rules. YOU shouting out 'knife hit' or whatever deliberately to give away a player's position after you were hit would be much less gentlemanly.

It would be.. if he sneaked up on them from behind. Dead men dont talk, honest people don't pretend. You ask every single person you meet what team they are on?

Anyway, that's how I'd react, clearly you would have reacted differently.

I was looking at F2000 reviews the other day and I came across this section at the end of one of levelcaps videos about a team they called "the terminators" who were not taking (from 7:40 if you want to just see the bit I am talking about) hits:

Admittedly this isn't coming to blows but there is a lot of aggression put out by levelcap here with all those rounds, he knows he is overkilling and he's calling out abusively. Its kind of really dumb to get down to this point, to believe that the otherside wont take its hits and then being abusive about it all. I saw a bit of this on Saturday and its really poor play in general and I think the people that do start to get this aggressive kind of need to be given the appropriate warnings and bans. None of its needed. If it gets anywhere near blows it ought to be good bye for life, no ifs or buts. But even then this video bothers me.

• Supporters

If you watch any of LevelCap's airsoft videos, then you'll realise he is the absolute OverKill King.

There's even a particularly bad instance of it in his video intro where he full autos a guy in the neck and face from about 5m away for a good second and at the time he's got a pretty blistering rof.

There's a point in one video where a guy gets a little pissy at him and in the commentary he talks about "He shouldn't have been here if he didn't want to get shot" blahblahblah.

Yeah, shot. Once. Not 50 times.

Bit of a penis imo, but his videos are good.

he does seem to find a lot of upset people where ever he plays....

sure I have seen him play CQB and lay about 20 rounds into some guy then moan "he is not taking hits" slam some more into him.

people do need time to react to being hit but laying 500 BB into them is foul play.

His videos, guns, gear, camera set up and generic commentating skills are good. However i personally hate his playstyle and like Ian said, how he goes about dealing with situations such as him constantly overkilling and then just making up poor excuses as to why he does it. What gets on my tits is how he relates his tactics from when he plays battlefield. Not to mention he's sponsored by airsoft GI and the only reason he is where he is, is because he obviously gave them a good old ass licking and was given expensive shit in return.

I may just be sounding like a negative ass hole but I just get the impression because of his fancy gear and guns and 'status' on youtube & what not, he thinks hes higher than most the players in his videos...

Its exactly this attitude that annoys everyone else. He doesn't seem to realise that he is the dick on the field that everyone else wishes they would ban. It'll probably happen eventually if people continuously complain about his overkill and attitude problem.

It would be.. if he sneaked up on them from behind. Dead men dont talk, honest people don't pretend. You ask every single person you meet what team they are on?

Anyway, that's how I'd react, clearly you would have reacted differently.

thanks jcheeseright,

like its been said i didnt do anything wrong, the colour challenge is there for a reason.

i managed to get one up on a couple of people and they chose to take dislike to that because of their own mistake if you like. if they had asked for my colour i would have given it to them and taken the hit.

I would take a "give as good as you get" attitude regarding the whole thing. If someone had spent time and had been stealthy enough to sneak all the way up on me and take me out, I would happily take the hit silently as I respect someone's effort to do such a thing, just as I would expect them to take a hit silently, if I did so. Equally, if someone thought I was not taking my hits, then I give them full rights to light me up until I did take it. Shooting people is expressly part of the game. Why should shooting people once, twice or even ten times over be seen as negative, if it gets people whom otherwise wouldn't, to call their hits?

I personally would say that if someone is not taking a hit, when you're putting them out a few at a time, you're well within your rights as a player to give them a pasting until they stick their hand up. But the key thing here is - then you stop. It's not on to be shouting abuse and giving people overkill, even after they do finally call their hit. There should be no sense of "getting revenge" for others not taking hits or whatever, as that just ruins the game and leads to altercations like those above. There should be no bad blood between people, or things get nasty. It's the same with any sport.

With regards to the punching episode, I would say a month ban is fair. People are humans. They make mistakes. They see red mist. They push, and shout and throw punches sometimes. Giving them a bollocking and a timely ban is the right way to go. A month is enough to make you think twice before doing it again, but isn't so much as to make everyone terrified of showing even the slightest bit of emotion again. Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate violence. Things should always be settled with words first, but if there's a bit of a scuffle and the two people sort it out between them afterwards outside the heat of adrenaline in a gentlemanly fashion, then I should say there that all is forgiven.

Just my two cents. (My rusty, dented, "never actually been to a skirmish yet, so might not actually know what he's talking about" cents.)

I would say it depends entirely on how the people involved wish to take it. a month ban might not be enough depending if they only play once a month. i would say a three game ban sounds fairer but its the site decision. if the players arent complaining and its has been resolved then obviously they are happy with it.

If someones being a dick then just keep reporting them to the marshals, being aggressive to them only gets you in trouble as well. its only a game guys dont be COD softers screaming down the Mic at people.

Permban the assaulter from the field and ban the other one for 1 month.

You have to have a sense of proportion.

We weren't involved and only have a short video out of context to go by.

We don't know the players involved or their past behavior or conduct.

We don't know how those involved acted afterwards, was there contrition or apology?

Did the 'victom' want a heavier punishment or lesser?

How culpable was he in the incident.

And so on.

At the end of the day those involved both the perps and the Marshals and management of the site resolved things. Who are we to second guess them based on a short Youtube clip?

Personally I think banning the victim was a bit much.

That's like walking down the street, having some random guy smash your face in, in front of police and you end up arrested and charged with the guy that attacked you. Obviously that's an extreme and daft analogy, but it still within the point.

Though I suppose the victim was banned because he provoked the physical attack by not calling his hit or holding his hands up.

I expect you are right. It's just, in my mind, even if you have a player with verbal diarrhea, responding with a physical attack is still the worse of the two issues.

I suppose though that they were free to game elsewhere and the ban only applied to that site.

for all we know he could one of the little wretches that thinks its funny to overkill untill they are threatened with being given a good smack in the face found my self more than once in this situation no accident either because the people where laughing about it

Im new to airsoft so can only go on what I know from my job. But we get thought when out in the field on exercise unless you reconise them you challenge them with your rifle ready I did this through out both my tours of Herrick n not once did anyone have any issues with it its just guarding the camp and its standard so a colour challenge if not issued then its a bit of a learning experience for the guys that got knifed and if it was me I'd shake the guys hand its not easy to sneak behind 2 people if there watching there lines correctly.

As for the punching again new to airsoft I did an exercise with theparas and a few mariens and they did not get along at all but they left it on the field if they got hit then they shouted good shot and if they didn't like them it didn't matter as its training and at the end they all had a beer and that was it so I can't understand why in a family environment you could act like that fair enough walk over and chat as there's two sides but you pay money to play so enjoy it. I agree with what I read earlia talk to the marshals and let them sort it andthen just crack on and have fun. Again my opinion won't be great as my 1st skirmish is this Sunday and I'm just going off what I have learnt

• 3 months later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.