"the punching video" how would you react?

clumpyedge

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

since watching a video that was posted about the airsofter being punched in the face i've wondered to myself how others deal with certain situations....

for example this weekend just gone i was at a local skirmish.

i managed to sneak round the side of the enemy advance and creep up on two guys by keeping my back to them so they couldn't see the colour of my band without asking for it first (yes maybe a bit sneaky but by no means breaking any rules) as i get close i "knife" kill both of the guys i was sneaking up on.

I then proceed on my merry way to try and get a few more when at this point the two lads tell the whole team i'm standing there, i'm blue and to light me up! so light me up they did!

i wasn't impressed as id done all the work of sneaking about getting two kills and not doing anything to break the rules (as they were well within their right to ask my colour and didn't!) so i speak to a Marshall and he agrees that the dead men don't talk rule was clearly broken thus my welted state. we go and speak to the lads together to work it out and then they lie about the whole thing and say id gone out of bounds, was holding my tape so they couldn't see it and that i was aggressive (not sure how whispering "knife kill" is aggressive) no i can cope with the fact that they got a group of people to light me up but then to call me a liar and lie about my actions isnt on.

i would never be physical (im in by no means a physical person in regards to fighting) but i gave them a very verbal dressing down for bringing my character into disrepute especially as everyone knows me and that i dont cheat when i play as its my local site.

my question is have you ever got into an altercation of any form as a result of a bad call or just because someone was being a bell?

• Supporters

In all these situations I do my level best to take the high ground and just walk away. The other guys just reinforce to the marshal that they're the ones being idiots plus life really is too short to get that aerated about a game of soldiers in the woods. Walk away, move along, get on with having fun.

Were they pro's or rentals?

Either way there's nothing to be gained from getting upset about it,if the marshals are any good and they see it they'll be on it.See it as a challenge....you've got all day to sh00t them..

The only time strong words were exchanged between me & someone else was the last skirmish I was with my son & we got split up.

A few mins later I was told that my son had been shot in the face from close range & was hurt. So I broke from cover, slung my rifle over my shoulder & held my hands up to show I was not taking part in the game.

I was walking around the area where my side were fighting from looking for my son, when three guys from the opposite team took aim at me, I saw them & waved my arms frantically to show I was unarmed & not taking part in the game, all three lowered their guns & carried on fighting.

I was still walking up & down our area when someone opened up on me, at this point I've got both of my hands on my head & no weapon on show. I wave my hands more & carry on walking, he lights me up again on full auto.

I shouted over to him that no matter how many times he hits me I'm still out of the game, he shouts back that I'm not calling my hits......I'm walking with my hands on my head with my gun slung openly over my shoulder......How else can I clearly desplay that I'm not playing?

It turns out my son was ok & after I went back to the safe zone I explained the situation to the lad who appologised for his agressive attitude & we shook hands.

How do I handle agressive attitudes ? I just laugh it off. it's only a game & is supposed to be fun. Also I'm an ex boxer so dont get intimidated easily lol

In all these situations I do my level best to take the high ground and just walk away. The other guys just reinforce to the marshal that they're the ones being idiots plus life really is too short to get that aerated about a game of soldiers in the woods. Walk away, move along, get on with having fun.

Were they pro's or rentals?

Either way there's nothing to be gained from getting upset about it,if the marshals are any good and they see it they'll be on it.See it as a challenge....you've got all day to sh00t them..

The only time strong words were exchanged between me & someone else was the last skirmish I was with my son & we got split up.

A few mins later I was told that my son had been shot in the face from close range & was hurt. So I broke from cover, slung my rifle over my shoulder & held my hands up to show I was not taking part in the game.

I was walking around the area where my side were fighting from looking for my son, when three guys from the opposite team took aim at me, I saw them & waved my arms frantically to show I was unarmed & not taking part in the game, all three lowered their guns & carried on fighting.

I was still walking up & down our area when someone opened up on me, at this point I've got both of my hands on my head & no weapon on show. I wave my hands more & carry on walking, he lights me up again on full auto.

I shouted over to him that no matter how many times he hits me I'm still out of the game, he shouts back that I'm not calling my hits......I'm walking with my hands on my head with my gun slung openly over my shoulder......How else can I clearly desplay that I'm not playing?

It turns out my son was ok & after I went back to the safe zone I explained the situation to the lad who appologised for his agressive attitude & we shook hands.

How do I handle agressive attitudes ? I just laugh it off. it's only a game & is supposed to be fun. Also I'm an ex boxer so dont get intimidated easily lol

they were "pro" if you like, by no means rentals.

the only reason i gave them a dressing down verbally was because the whole day these guys and a few others i had noticed were being pretty dickish. the marshalls had had words but i dont really think they were taking what was being said to them as they should have.

yes it probably wasnt my place to say anything and by no means is this how i would have normally handled a situation but the way i thinking that day after having problem after problem, i thought to myself... i pay my money like anyone else why should my day be impacted by people that cant play by the rules of the game.

i think this is why im enjoying milsim-ing more than skirmishing these days :/

In my opinion. Punching a player... no... any physical abuse that isnt shooting eachother and 'knife kills' should just be a permanent ban and assault charges. Period.

I've seen families play at sites, what sort of influence would their behaviour have on youngsters? By being so lenient with a one month ban, I don't think it would made the two involved realised what happened is out of order and makes other players and airsoft in general look bad.

We've all had the adrenaline rushing and perhaps exchanged strong words and what not, but usually thats all forgotten about and if its taken too far its sorted out. At the end of the days its just and game and everyone goes home happy. I just personally believe physical action over such silly things takes it too far.

In my opinion. Punching a player... no... any physical abuse that isnt shooting eachother and 'knife kills' should just be a permanent ban and assault charges. Period.

I've seen families play at sites, what sort of influence would their behaviour have on youngsters? By being so lenient with a one month ban, I don't think it would made the two involved realised what happened is out of order and makes other players and airsoft in general look bad.

We've all had the adrenaline rushing and perhaps exchanged strong words and what not, but usually thats all forgotten about and if its taken too far its sorted out. At the end of the days its just and game and everyone goes home happy. I just personally believe physical action over such silly things takes it too far.

i totally agree with you on that point physical aggression is in no way needed.

i wouldn't have had a pop at these guys if they wernt old enough to have known better, the fact they were swearing at everything and everyone left right and center made me think well a barrage of verbal diarrhea from me wont do any harm.

There are idiots like this everywhere in life, it just seems to me some airsoft sites seem to accumulate and keep them. If the marshalls don't ban them then you have your answer, they like having douche bags around and the site will just keep them. There is no point getting aggressive with these people, there is also no point continuing to play with them. Find another site that takes getting rid of A holes and cheats seriously and you'll have a lot more fun.

It's people pretending to be soldiers. Seriously. To be honest nobody normally punches someone in the face over a roleplay game. He might be bipolar, that could explain the light ban.

I second the request for a link.

Never seen people get into an actual fight at a skirmish, but I've seen a few get mightily close to doing so. It's just a game, but that gets harder to remember with the adrenaline flowing mid game.

• Supporters

I'm kind of reluctant to share it because the majority of people seem to be taking the site's actions with regard to dealing with it very badly and I don't want to cause them bad press. The only reason it's my regular site is because it's the best site I've played at and the staff are phenomenal, as I'm sure anyone who's played there will agree.

And I'm one hell of a picky motherfucker, so if I think a site's good, most people would think it's 10x better than good.

But here it is. Leave your replies on here though, if you would, it's over and done with on the Facebook page. The damage has been done.

https://www.facebook.com/Bullet4MyEnemyYouTube/posts/666911590050948

I don't think anyone could categorically say they'd never punch anyone as we all have a threshold where we strike out. Just depends how ridiculous someone's behavior is. Personally I'd say I've never come close to hitting some one as I prefer the approach of telling a Marshall. After moaning 2 or 3 times for the same person doing the same thing then I'd rather just go home. It's not worth losing your temper over and getting done for assault or worse. If Marshall's can't be bothered to step in then they shouldn't be Marshall's.

• Supporters

If Marshall's can't be bothered to step in then they shouldn't be Marshall's.

Are you being general when you say that, or specific to this incident?

Because Ben (marshal) is quite clearly in there before the punch even gets thrown.

I agree though, if you have an issue. Marshal. It's why they're there. It might hurt your ego to have someone else sort something out for you, but if you're big enough you'll take the hit (metaphorically speaking, obviously).

I mean in general. That guy clearly steps in like he's at a froch groves match lol. Can't fault that Marshall at all tbh

• Supporters

Physical violence towards anyone is wrong, and shouldn't happen, in the heat of the moment people do stupid things. I know I get worked up sometimes in games, it never comes to anything physical other than sometime leaving a finger on a trigger for a fraction longer than necessary sometimes or more likely me becoming more shouty. This name and shame reaction and the "only one month ban, that's not enough" is also really wrong.

The site made a decision that I think is a fair one, they have both been banned for a month, its pretty much the same as teachers sending a kid out to stand outside to take a breather or a time out. For a first offence (albeit a serious one) that's probably about right, 1 month or 3 months or whatever is adequate. You will probably find it takes a while for both players to return to this site, mainly because they probably feel like prize dicks, but hopefully they will have learned.

The "but what if it had been a kid or a girl" argument is bogus. You shouldn't hit anyone period, why is hitting a man your own size or bigger or age somehow better than hitting a kid or woman? All equally wrong.

The "but they might do it again maybe at another site you should have told everyone who they were" is also bogus, a book I don't believe in quoted a mythical figure (in my eyes) who said "he who is without sin cast the first stone". How many of us have come close to or have actually ended up punching someone or had a fight over something really petty, when we did that stupid act did we feel stupid after? Did we regret it? Would we expect to be banned from something we enjoy doing because a moments stupidity. You probably used it as a learning opportunity, you sat down afterwards and replayed the whole thing over and over wishing you had done things differently.

The " site should have informed the police" .... really??? The police would ask the two parties if they wanted to take things further anyway, why not let them decide how they want it handled.

• Supporters

The " site should have informed the police" .... really??? The police would ask the two parties if they wanted to take things further anyway, why not let them decide how they want it handled.

If the site had called the Police it would still only be up to the individual concerned as to whether or not he wanted to press charges. Personally I think it would be somewhat of an overreaction if the site called in the Police unless some serious level of harm had been done.

• Supporters

You will probably find it takes a while for both players to return to this site, mainly because they probably feel like prize dicks, but hopefully they will have learned.

Yup, my thoughts exactly. A more lengthy ban would serve no real purpose as the staff and player's evident disapproval is easily punishment enough and will act as its own sentence.

Also couldn't agree more on the police involvement front, calling them will probably just make things worse. No one wants the pressure of the rozzers looming over them.

As the site said in response to people's outcries on my wall, "It is not the place of myself or my staff to call the police unless they feel a situation is out of control. Before you all jump down my throat YES, the moment of the punch was 'out of control' but as the marshal arrived almost immediately afterwards both players parted and peace was restored."

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.