Iron Maiden singer plans WW1 dogfight at Sonisphere

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/27637906

The air display above Sonisphere will feature nine aircraft, all exact replicas of planes used in combat in World War One.

Bruce Dickinson, a trained transport airline pilot, will be flying his own Fokker Dr1 Triplane, the same model used by German flying ace Manfred von Richthofen, or The Red Baron.

There will also be a German Junkers CL1.

The British planes will be a Sopwith Triplane, a BE2c and an SE5a and will be flown by members of The Great War Display Team, who perform re-enactments throughout the UK and Europe.

Bruce Dickinson said: "The air show over Sonisphere is something I'm really excited about and we're determined to put on an unforgettable display for everyone.

"We're planning an extravaganza of derring-do, especially when you consider the manoeuvres we'll be performing are all based on true-life battles from a hundred years ago.

"What some of these fighter pilots achieved back then was nothing short of miraculous given the conditions they were working under and the seriousness of what was at stake.

"We hope to stage a memorable display which is equally entertaining and poignant, celebrating not only the bravery and heroics of all the pilots involved but remembering the sacrifices made on both sides."

• 2 weeks later...

That would be unbelievable , some very rare aircraft and some awesome music! Iron Maiden NEVER disappoint, I remember seeing them in Belfast a few years ago and they blew me away.

I might have to get close to try and watch from outside.

Only thing that worries me about these replicas is they are built like the originals - one pilot was killed earlier this year/late last year when his replica fell out of the sky.

I might have to get close to try and watch from outside.

Only thing that worries me about these replicas is they are built like the originals - one pilot was killed earlier this year/late last year when his replica fell out of the sky.

Bit late dapperman, it happened last saturday :P Thanks for the link Captain, I unfortunately missed it as I was watching a film :(

• 3 weeks later...

Aces High is WW1. . . .

Seem to remember the cover has Eddie in a Spitfire cockpit

(should add that as far as the movie is concerned - yes you're correct)

Seem to remember the cover has Eddie in a Spitfire cockpit

(should add that as far as the movie is concerned - yes you're correct)

Fair one, never seen the book to be honest.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.