Dastardly Unbelievable. Scammed by own family.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I could not believe that some sh*t in our own family could do try this on us.

Allow me to tell the story.

My mother's brother, let's call him... Stuart (not his name but close) recent found us after years of being apart; as it turns out, this is true.

Now stuart is in contact with everyone in the family but I have to admit, our family is all over the place in the world.

My mother and him started off warm with the usual "how our you?" "how is our family?"

This went on for a whole week until he then introduced his website "WorldVentures" ;http://www.worldventures.com/

He said that he wanted us all to be together and worldventures allows that at a cheap price, cheaper than a regular booking. He said that 2 of their brothers are unemployed and are trying to seek work. He said that he got them to become workers of the website.

But here's why it doesn't add up; you pay an entry fee of $199, bullshit. Then you have to pay a monthly fee depending on what you want. There's a price tag of $999 a month for all the benefits and customizations you could to for your trip. But here's the catch; you don't actually get your ticket.

Absolute Bullshit.

What kind of a sh*tty website that is designed for you to travel with ease, doesn't give you a ticket included with the some $1200 price tag? From edinburgh to Hong Kong, it's roughly £500, with worldventures, you're paying that, PLUS $1200 just for the same journey.

There's even videos about it. http://ethanvanderbuilt.com/worldventures-video/

He even tries to talk us into it saying it's safe and perfectly fine but there's another thing that doesn't add up; if the two brother were employed, why does it say on FB that they're unemployed? Scammer. He even said if we could or someone could help them financially by making a deposit in advance of maybe £100. tw*t.

My mother then talked to the two brothers and they said that it was a trick, don't fall for it and just ignore him.

So now, one member of our family runs a scam and tried to trick us into it and probably many of our family members.

My mum said to just leave him be and not get involved because he could seek revenge and ruin us so hopefully someone will get him and shove worldventures up his arse.

But still, what kind of an utter tw*t would try to steal from their own family? What a c-unt.

• Supporters

Just to check - he tried to scam you but actually didn't because your mum was sensible enough to ask around and not fall for it, correct?

yeah, I have selfish uncles. he is absolutely loaded, 4 mansions etc and nice cars. Anyway, when my dad lost his job, and he was struggling to pay for school, my uncle (call him james not his name), james allowed us to stay at his chalet. This is a 15 bedroom skiing chalet and they don't come cheap. The rent would normally be £2000 or something a week, but we apparently got the "family deal" (free) Anway, after that, we come back to find out his bonus wasn't as big as he was hoping, still xmillion quid however, so he decides to take it out on my family and next thing you know we are having to pay up or he will "take us to court". It has been sorted but seriously, how sad can it get??

Just to check - he tried to scam you but actually didn't because your mum was sensible enough to ask around and not fall for it, correct?

Yes, he tried. But that still doesn't change the fact that he's a greedy snob and willing to risk his years of life for it.

It's hard to sue these pyramid scammers because what they are doing is technically legal,in the states at least from what I've read on yank forums and hives like reddit. May be different in the UK,I'd say Finius would be better in explaining the legal stuff about this.

• Supporters

It's hard to sue these pyramid scammers because what they are doing is technically legal,in the states at least from what I've read on yank forums and hives like reddit. May be different in the UK,I'd say Finius would be better in explaining the legal stuff about this.

More to the point, no money changed hands. Other than realising the blokes a bit of a tosser no harm has been done so there would be no grounds for legal action whatsoever.

yeah, I have selfish uncles. he is absolutely loaded, 4 mansions etc and nice cars. Anyway, when my dad lost his job, and he was struggling to pay for school, my uncle (call him james not his name), james allowed us to stay at his chalet. This is a 15 bedroom skiing chalet and they don't come cheap. The rent would normally be £2000 or something a week, but we apparently got the "family deal" (free) Anway, after that, we come back to find out his bonus wasn't as big as he was hoping, still xmillion quid however, so he decides to take it out on my family and next thing you know we are having to pay up or he will "take us to court". It has been sorted but seriously, how sad can it get??

Take you to court for what? Did he get anything in writing that mentions a fee or payment?

Should have told him to go and blow.

• 2 weeks later...

Best advice my Father ever told me, never do business with family members, how right he is.

However this being the man that recently left my mother and is trying now to steal her money through solicitors and her mothers inheritance. Still he made a good point.

Maybe just inform your mothers brother that maybe he is unaware that it is a pyramid scheme and for the sake of family relations you would rather not risk it.

Like all such schemes those that promote it further up the chain are very persuasive, they make it seem like the most amazing business opportunity ever and people that get suckered in are keen to share the good fortune with their friends and family.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.