BB's not staying in the gun! Mag or gun issues?

loctez

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I just bought an SRC m4 plastic series second hand and am having issues with it. When loading the fully wound hi cap magazine it unwinds itself and about 10-15 pellets roll out the barrel. When winding the magazine in the gun it simply feeds them straight into the gun and they just dribble out the end. When I remove the magazine I have one pellet which is successfully chambered and that shoots fine. I am not sure what is going on here, any advice?

Cheers

Doesn't do much. That said my hop wheel only seems to be able to turn about 180o, is this a problem?

Typically what happens is that the nozzle is what pushes the BB's forward into the barrel past the bucking. So what I would do is strip the gun down and look at the bucking, the nozzle and also the hop up unit. Somewhere in there is a reason why the BB's going vertically into the gun under pressure is pushing through the bucking when it shouldn't. If I was to hazard a guess I would say the bucking is damaged around the entrance to the barrel and isn't stopping the BB's rolling forward, but its also possible the nozzle is stuck forward and providing a ramp forward allowing them to press through the bucking. Could also be something in the hop up providing some forward pressure as well. But the bucking remains the most likely candidate because they degrade with time.

• Supporters

you say you've just bought this? take it back, if it's not the hop-up being fully off and allowing BBs to pass through there's something wrong with it.

get a refund/replacement, if you take it to bits it's likely the retailer will tell you that your warranty is no longer valid.

• Supporters

you say you've just bought this? take it back, if it's not the hop-up being fully off and allowing BBs to pass through there's something wrong with it.

get a refund/replacement, if you take it to bits it's likely the retailer will tell you that your warranty is no longer valid.

+1

As I said, I bought this second hand off here.

I have stripped the gun down, piston seems to work fine and the nozzle is in it's normal position. I removed the hop/barrel assembly and noticed that it is impossie to turn the hop on with the wheels however it can be turned on by pressing down on the top. This makes me think the wheels are jammed in place? Should I strip the hop further or is it something that might be replaced?

Sorted.

Turns out that hop up unit in this is made of poo. One of the wee cogs was poorly moulded and was filled in between the teeth not allowing the hop to be turned on. Even now after filing that off the hop is pretty poor. I think I know what I am upgrading first!

38ED98AC-102C-4D99-98B6-66CE6383C8D8.jpg

Haha I have heard! Seems to be solid enough, should get me through a few games. Cheers for the help guys.

• Supporters

Those filled in cogs are actually supposed to be like that, they act as a block to stop you from turning the hop past maximum in either direction.

I am surprised that fixed the problem actually, because hop on or not doesn't impact the BB loading process. I suspect by taking it apart and putting it back together you have realigned something in that system which was misaligned.

My hop has a filled cog. In my experience you don't need the whole motion of that particular cog at all, its done on purpose. If you just place it such that you get more motion before that tooth is hit you'll probably find it will work as intended. The main reason to replace the hop it is if the hop wont stay put.

Well it works now, I recon something just realigned when I shook it up a bit. I might replace the hop as it really doesn't want to play ball, very stiff, won't change easily and seems quite cheap anyway.

• Supporters

Well it works now, I recon something just realigned when I shook it up a bit. I might replace the hop as it really doesn't want to play ball, very stiff, won't change easily and seems quite cheap anyway.

If I'm not mistaken it's the same design as the old Marui M4 hop unit in that it comes in two halves. Replacement choices are limited but the Marui ones are pretty good (try Fire Support for them). Otherwise fitting a single piece hop unit involves cutting the lower part out and modifying the lower receiver to take a single piece hop (or going down the whole new receiver route like I did and that's a whole different kettle of expensive fish).

Very stiff = not going to change when you don't want it to. If it can be turned just about then its as intended. Mine is stiff, they are basically all stiff to make it more likely the hop will stay precisely where you put it.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this, any details on how to modify the reciever to take a one piece hop? Could be worth a try as the accuracy on this thing is truly horrific and tm units are rather scarce, might take a second look at the bucking.

Cheers

EDIT: created new thread as this question has no relevance to title

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.