Looking at G&G GR25 Sniper.... Thoughts please? Easy Upgrade?

beedenboy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Yup. Most dedicated DMR platforms will be pretty expense, and upgrades will be pricy.

If you want to do a DMR platform with anything 7.62 based have a look at G&P M14s. The latest batch have the nice non-standard body kits as stock and some come with G&P optical sights if you want to spare the expense of buying separately.

As they're M14s they have a Ver. 7 gearbox, which are supposed to be pretty easy to work on. They also have the advantage of the real steel weapon having served as a DMR for around 20 or more years in the US army, and even more in other services over there. Only problem I see practically is mag availability and expense. Pouches aren't too difficult to find- WAS do some decent 7.62 pouches and BulleUK do some as well for slightly cheaper.

If you're concerned with M14 mags though, maybe you could convert an M16 to DMR standard? external work would only include adding a full length RIS and removing front sight, as well as buying either some Vietnam style short STANAG or some short Magpul magazines. As well as this I'd look into optical systems like Elcans or the Spectre DR, as they fit in with the current sort of kit soldiers are being issued and using. Plus IMO M14s and dedicated sniper rifles look best with traditional optical sights.

As for upgrades, you'd be looking at these parts and changes:

• MOSFET to allow high voltage LiPos for better trigger response
  • 16AWG low resistance gearbox wiring
  • SHS 16:1 gears
  • A Lonex neodymium motor or branded high torque motor
  • Improved cylinder with better air nozzle
  • Firefly hop rubber with H-nub
  • tightbore barrel- either Prometheus or LayLax

As well as this you'd have to lock any guns with an automatic firing capability to semi automatic.

Other members may be able to help you better with upgrades, I'm fairly clueless when it comes to which brands are best for upgrades and what upgrades to actually do :D

One last thing; I've heard of G&G M14s having ridiculous muzzle velocities out of the box on 0.20s. If you could find one of these and stick a tightbore in it you'd be golden.

• Supporters

One last thing; I've heard of G&G M14s having ridiculous muzzle velocities out of the box on 0.20s. If you could find one of these and stick a tightbore in it you'd be golden.

Not just their M14s. My SCAR was firing around 400FPS out of the box.

• Supporters

G&G M14s are fairly decent DMRs right out of the box, mine came shooting at 390, all I did was put a tightbore and .30s in it and it was an absolute laser beam.

Easy to lock to semi too.

Not sure about how easy Version 7s are to work on though, as I could never even figure out how to get to the G&G one...

SR25s have version 2 gearboxes, the G&G one has a standard V2 and a long hop, so the gearbox has more or less endless potential, but you're pretty limited when it comes to hop options, so you'll have to decide whether you think the hop or the gearbox are more important.

Personally I think they're pretty equally important, which is what makes SR25 builds a pain imo =/

You could put a Polarstar Fusion engine into the G&G though; it's a drop in fit, you'd just need the longer Polarstar nozzle.
They're expensive, but you could easily spend more than that turning it into an AEG DMR and it wouldn't be as reliable so I think it's a good route to take.

If you want to build a DMR on the cheap, then the G&G SR25 will do the job.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.