ICS M4A1, Installing a Madbull DD Omega 12in Rail?

NickM

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So I have been offered a Madbull DD Omega rail 12" at a very reasonable price by a friend, and I have been wanting to put a rail system on my ICS M4A1 long anyway the problem is I believe they use a proprietary design for their handguards which makes it difficult to know if it will fit. Basically the barrel is held into the gun by the Delta ring being screwed into the gun.

So has anyone done it.... is it possible, what parts would I need if I was going to attempt it?

Easily possible! The only bits you'll have trouble with are the ICS receiver threading and the barrel.

The barrel is easy to sort - you'll notice two metal "wings" that stick out on either side of the barrel near the receiver. There are two notches on the ICS barrel nut/delta ring that they slot between when you install it. These will stop the DD delta ring going on since no other manufacturer uses those slots. They aren't need except to hold the ICS plastic handguard in place. If you're replacing the handguard, then a couple of minutes with a junior hack saw will remove them :)

The next problem is the receiver threading for the barrel nut/delta ring. ICS and G&P use the same threads, but no one else does. So if your DD rail has a G&P barrel nut/delta ring you should find it's a straight swap. If not, you need to re-thread your receiver. You can buy a Madbull rethreading tool, do it carefully by hand with a small file etc.. If it's a plastic M4, it's even easier. Tighten the new nut on a little bit and remove - metal nut vs plastic threads means it'll remove the excess plastic itself :) Repeat gradually, removing the nut every half turn to remove the plastic shavings.

• Supporters

Cheers Hibernator I'm a little wary of taking anything off the barrel as there doesn't appear to be anything much holding the barrel in place but the delta ring that is on currently. Having now had a good look at it, under the wings as you put it there is collar that obviously is held in place by the delta nut arrangement.

But if I got one of these delta rings for the G&P from say ehobbyasia http://shop.ehobyasia.com/madbull-dd-rail-barrel-nut-for-gandp-metal-m4-reciever.html#.U6_lE-lOXVJ that should have the right thread to go onto the upper receiver of my ICS without having to rethread the receiver. Then just file down those metal wings and I'm good to go.

Cheers

NickM

• Supporters

On a side note do you know what the thread size and direction is for the Flash hider, I'm thinking of adding a suppressor just for fun but have no idea how to work it out. The US forums seem to be saying 14mm negative, does that me CW or CCW?

• Supporters

Cheers BazJJ

Cheers Hibernator I'm a little wary of taking anything off the barrel as there doesn't appear to be anything much holding the barrel in place but the delta ring that is on currently. Having now had a good look at it, under the wings as you put it there is collar that obviously is held in place by the delta nut arrangement.

But if I got one of these delta rings for the G&P from say ehobbyasia http://shop.ehobyasia.com/madbull-dd-rail-barrel-nut-for-gandp-metal-m4-reciever.html#.U6_lE-lOXVJ that should have the right thread to go onto the upper receiver of my ICS without having to rethread the receiver. Then just file down those metal wings and I'm good to go.

Cheers

NickM

Yeah - the little collar is part of the barrel nut and delta ring assembly. It is all that holds the barrel on. If you get that G&P delta ring assembly, it will fit fine. But you will have to saw the "wings" off the barrel for the nut to screw on passed your existing barrel. Once you've done that you will need to change the hand guards.

A bit late, but yes - 14mm ccw (counter clockwise) negative thread.

• Supporters

Thanks Hibernator, have found one in HK for $20 so will pick one up and let my friend know I'll have his rail system.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.