Radio & Coms Question

LegoJon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys.

I have recently purchased a pair of Baofeng GT-3 radios and I'm looking at the z-tactical bowmans headset (which is supplied with the Kenwood 2 pin type PTT).

I've read that the Kenwood 2 pin is compatible with Baofeng/Woxun/Pofeng radios but was wondering if anyone here has or has had a baofeng radio and used similar or same headset.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

I use the Baofeng UV5R which is an earlier model but similar internally.

Yes they do use the Kenwood 2 pin.

I don't use the Bowman. The Z Tactical is a reasonable price and probably best in its price range. However, it does have something of a mixed reputation for reliability and some players have reported having to replace them quite quickly. No personal experience though. Unfortunately, the next models up are professional kit and a very big jump in price and too rich for my blood.

Im not the radio police, but just be aware that although you can legally buy the Baofeng in the UK, you cant use them legally unless you have something like a private business licence. They are too powerful for PMR446 frequencies. I use standard PMR446 radios for skirmishing and use the Baofeng for milsimming where the operators have licence cover.

For example, the Okto Eight Milsim guys who are running the September milsim at the M25 site have a licence that allows players to use up to 5W power on their private frequencies.

BD - which Z Tactical product are you using and how many times roughly do you think you've skirmished with it ?

They look good and aren't a bad price, but Ive held back because guys on the milsim groups keep talking about quality control issues with internal wiring !

BD - which Z Tactical product are you using and how many times roughly do you think you've skirmished with it ?

They look good and aren't a bad price, but Ive held back because guys on the milsim groups keep talking about quality control issues with internal wiring !

My last set of the Z-Tac Sordin's lasted 3 years, and a few hundred game days, and only broke because hungover me sat on them :D.

Certainly there are pretty mixed reviews. I guess you just have to be lucky since they're so hit-and-miss and hope you get a good set.

From what I've heard, I wouldn't bother with Z-Tactical Sordin replicas (simply because they are more expensive = more disappointment when they break on you)

On the other hand, their Bowman headsets are relatively cheap and so it shouldn't be so bad if they break after a while because you only paid around (£20?)

In fact right now I can't think how much they are but I think I've seen them on Zero One for around that. Obviously, it's cheaper from HK. (Of course we need to support UK businesses though)

EDIT:

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/advanced_search_result.php?x=0&y=0&keywords=z-tac

Yep - they're £19.95. ^

Brilliant.

Thanks guys. That's EXACTLY what I was after.

It does seem crazy that the price hike is soooo much greater for the next level.

I'll give it a go and try to keep this thread updated on its performance etc.

I will say now that I will be heat shrinking the wires and flexi connection to give it a little more rigidity and strength.

Yes Ive been looking at those as some of the guys at the milsim were looking for cheap headsets to plug into our radios.

Let us know if they are any good.

• 4 weeks later...

Right.

Received my Bowmans a couple of weeks ago and nothing. Even on its loudest setting it was only just audible.

I contacted the seller who immediately sent out a new PTT. I know the radio works with the basic mobile phone style earpiece so it must be the PTT.

With that in mind I have a question.

The plug is a lot heavier duty than that which is supplied. I'm sure that I've read about "shaving the plug" for a more snug fit.

My radio is a Baofeng GT-3 MK2, so takes a Kenwood style plug. The handset itself has a rubber coating so that also hinders a snug fit.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Cheers

Sounds like a bad joint in the PTT. If this is the case, then its a quality control problem.

Cant visualise what you are saying about the plug. Photo ?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.