Quick release gearbox

Mr Monkey Nuts

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My G&G GR16 has finally given up and started to eat itself, causing an FPS crippling air leak. So I'm going to rip all the ebb stuff out and just put a standard cylinder in. Whilst I'm at it I got thinking about using a quick release spring gearbox so I can swap and change the barrel lengths and FPS for different games and sites.

But I can't seem to find any. I know Lonex did one, and I found a full gearbox from tomtac at helmet world, but i only need the shell.

Am I looking in the wrong places? Do you guys have any recommendations?

a quick release spring gearbox only lets you change the spring? the barrel will still need to be removed via the hop up chamber? and my ares has a quick change spring system but you have to find out if it will fit in your shell or not?

Yes I know that, my external barrel is 10" and threaded, it would simply be a case of putting on the extension piece to allow me to use a 407mm inner barrel instead of the 250mm I use now.

If I just put the longer barrel in without adjusting the spring I will be massively over power, hence why I am considering a qr gearbox.

• Supporters

That's a good shout lozart and a good site, I have never seen them before.

The guy that runs it posts here fairly often. Very good little site with decent customer service! He even apologised to me for a delay on my order that I hadn't even noticed :)

• Supporters

If I just put the longer barrel in without adjusting the spring I will be massively over power, hence why I am considering a qr gearbox.

Not necessarily, try it before you go buying a whole new gearbox! Chances are you'll only gain 5-10fps.

Thanks for the kind mention chaps. If you're interested in a shell mate I'll so you a special intro price. Personally I really like the QD design (some people hate them). Not quite sure how well the gearbox will fit with a G&P though, always difficult with aftermarket parts.

I recently bought a ZCI Quick change spring V2 shell from Pete at ak2m4, for my Ares M4, quality is good and all the original parts fit fine, note it takes 8mm bearings/bushings which aren't supplied with the shell. Also it comes with trigger, contact switch,wiring and fire selector plate which seem unique to ZCI, but they've functioned fine on my gun so far. Rest of the parts should swap straight from your old gearbox. Only very minor issue was the circular opening where the HOP unit fits into the end needed slight filing to fit snuggly. I did find the new shell a fairly snug fit in the Ares receiver,not sure how that would be with G&P to be honest. Otherwise its great. Also recommend ak2m4 for parts, good price and service.

• Supporters

I didn't realise there were any quick change spring V2 gearboxes. Surely you'd have to take the gearbox out anyway because the stock tube would be in the way?

• Supporters

I didn't realise there were any quick change spring V2 gearboxes. Surely you'd have to take the gearbox out anyway because the stock tube would be in the way?

There's a few actually (mostly cheaper ones to be fair).

Even if you have to take the gearbox out it's still quicker and easier than splitting the gearbox which, for some at least is a step too far.

• Supporters

Would be better if they made the front screw off somehow, the amount of disassembly required to get to the back of the gearbox is far from "quick".

• Supporters

Would be better if they made the front screw off somehow, the amount of disassembly required to get to the back of the gearbox is far from "quick".

Yes, but getting the nozzle, tappet plate, cylinder head, piston and piston head out of the way isn't really straightforward either, is it?

• Supporters

Quiet you.

• Supporters

TM recoil, undo the buffer tube and the spring comes straight out, with the correct tools you can change spring in less than 5 mins

Yet another reason why £500+ doesn't seem such a bad idea after all!

• Supporters

Do they take spring changes well though? People always say to just leave TMs alone, which has always been something that put me off buying one.

Since they're all built to sub 300fps tolerances, I've always had it in my head that upping the power to something more standard would see the trigger response and rof drop below and acceptable level, and I can't be arsed to upgrade the motor and the gears on a gun that already cost around £500.

• Supporters

Depends how much power you want out of it, my HK416 was 340fps and I didn't notice any drop in ROF or trigger response. The gears are solid and the TM EG1000 motor is easily good enough to pull a M120, it's a 'stock' motor but still bloody awesome.

My Ares M4 is front wired so changing springs in the original and the ZCI gearbox is easy - unscrew the stock tube nut then the stock tube unscrews out of the lower receiver, then remove the spring guide,its just a quarter turn with an allan key. Spring pops out, put new one in and reassemble. Job done. Same principle with stock tubes which are held on by a long bolt through the stock tube, just remove the bolt and pull the stock tube off then out with the spring guide. MUCH MUCH easier than removing the gearbox from the lower receiver, especially if you want to try different springs to achieve optimum fps.

TM recoil shocks are a massive improvement over old TM internals. The EG1000 is a very good motor,the armatures on these things are fantastic and top choices for insane power frankentorques,they're one of the better stock motors about.

The gears are sintered but the sintering is good and the steel is a good alloy- The main concern is the zinc sector gear,but it should not get chewed up by the spur unless you are running an m120 or over. Still not happy TM decided to go zinc on this but no mention of failures stock or under M120 springs.

The piston is very strong and should not strip unless you cause the recoil system to miss-time or really fuck up AOE. Since it's a high stress part I'd recommend correcting AOE to a perfect 90 degrees to eliminate any chance of failing,but the stock AOE is surprisingly decent on recoils,not amazing by any means,Lonex stock guns have better for example but it's better than nothing.

Just remember along with an M90 spring these gearboxes are also pulling back a 200-250g recoil weight along with a spring,so they have to be strong to be reliable stock(Which they are,unless,as said before you miss time the recoil by using an 11.1v lipo or somesuch)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.