experience with hydro dipping

team flex

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I was recently watching some videos of hydrodipping. It looks relatively easy, however they are mainly professionals.

A few questions for the people that have done it:

1. Is it easy to do the first time or will I have to buy more than one sheet.

2. Is it in your opinion worth it, as it is quite expensive.

3. Is it durable enough and if I catch it on a stick, it wont come off?

4. Will it be easy to do at home? I know you can pay people to do it, but the prices are astronomical!

5. All in all, worth it or not?

Thanks for your opinions, feedback and help! It is greatly appreciated :)

happy airsofting

Oli

I doubt many members on here have actually had it done, let alone done it themselves. There's only Kinnerly who I can think has had stuff dipped.

To answer your first question, there is a technique to it. It looks easy enough but you might not do it right the first time. The pattern can stretch and warp and end up looking quite shite.

Even if he'd got it right, it would look bad anyay because it's UCP! :P

Some people insert the parts in at an angle, I've seen others dip one side in and then flip it over to do the other.

To answer your third question, yes it's very durable. Especially considering it's primarily used on real guns and car parts etc, it has to withstand a lot of wear and heat. Should last ages.

In terms of ease of doing it yourself, most videos on YT look like it's a company with a professional set up. Other than dipping, you need to paint the parts first and clear coat it afterwards as well for the best finish.

Is it worth it? Well, taking a look at Camo Lab's pricing structure, a pistol frame is £30. A full rifle on the other hand, from £100 to £130+

Depends on what you're wanting to dip.

yeah. I was thinking just the stock, and the front battery compartment. I am interested, because for me the end result looks very good. I will speak to lozart.

• Supporters

I think Lozart has had experience with it. Either that or he does custom painting

Painting.

Wondrous handcrafted works of weapon based art.

Mona Lisa on an M4....Caravaggio on a waffle mag!

Hydrodipping? Might as well ask me to put Hello Kitty stickers on it. The cheek of it.

;)

• Supporters

But on a more serious note to try and answer your questions:

I was recently watching some videos of hydrodipping. It looks relatively easy, however they are mainly professionals.

A few questions for the people that have done it:

1. Is it easy to do the first time or will I have to buy more than one sheet.

2. Is it in your opinion worth it, as it is quite expensive.

3. Is it durable enough and if I catch it on a stick, it wont come off?

4. Will it be easy to do at home? I know you can pay people to do it, but the prices are astronomical!

5. All in all, worth it or not?

Thanks for your opinions, feedback and help! It is greatly appreciated :)

happy airsofting

Oli

1. No it's not easy to get right first time. If you get away with just one sheet of film then you're naturally gifted and should take it up as a profession. Seriously.

2. If you want fiddly little camo designs like the various flavours of digital camo/Kryptek etc then yes it is worth it as having it custom painted makes hydrodipping seem positively cheap by comparison.

3. On its own the hydro film isn't all that durable, you have to top coat it with a lacquer (preferably a matt one of course) to protect it from knocks and scrapes. Getting a decent lacquer finish is an artform all on its own.

4. Technically it's not hard to do in a home environment BUT the activator isn't particularly nice so don't do it in the house. You'll need some tubs big enough to dip your parts in (oo-er missus) too.

5. Is it worth it? It's entirely up to you. Some fishnet tights and some Krylon is WAAAY cheaper but as a result it's getting to be a pretty overdone look (in my opinion). But it works if that's what you want. If you want a Kryptek camo gun then it's pretty much the only way you'll get the look without spending a crapping fortune to have some airbrush wielding lunatic (*ahem) do it for you.

Personally? I like black guns. Manly. Grrrr.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.