Reduction in power

RedFox89

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I was very happy to receive a KJ Works M9 Beretta Vertec for my birthday (had my eye on it for a while, on Taiwangun) and since first testing I found that it shoots a little hot! Not too much, on my friends new chrono using .25's it calculated it at 1.2 joules.

Obviously over the uk limit of 1 joule, so the question is how do I slightly reduce the power on my new pistol so I can actually use it on gameday against people, and not paper targets lol.

Any tips would be great, I'm new to airsoft so go easy on the big words! Lol

Cheers

I've seen some websites say the UK has a 1 Joule (328 FPS) limit. This isn't true. It can be up to 500, but most sites limit rifles and pistols to 350 FPS. DMRs are usually 400-450 FPS and bolt-actions 500 FPS.

• Supporters

Hi all,

I was very happy to receive a KJ Works M9 Beretta Vertec for my birthday (had my eye on it for a while, on Taiwangun) and since first testing I found that it shoots a little hot! Not too much, on my friends new chrono using .25's it calculated it at 1.2 joules.

Obviously over the uk limit of 1 joule, so the question is how do I slightly reduce the power on my new pistol so I can actually use it on gameday against people, and not paper targets lol.

Any tips would be great, I'm new to airsoft so go easy on the big words! Lol

Cheers

First off - find out what the limits are for whatever site you plan on going to. Next, most sites chrono with 0.2g BBs. Third, what gas were you using? It may be as simple as using a lower powered gas will solve your problem.

Oh right, I have been misinformed along the lines then!

I am unsure as to which gas was used as I was with my friends testing all our guns. I shall find out!

But on the point of the 1 joule limit I thought this was the case. I shall try with .20 bb's and see the difference.

Thanks for correcting me anyways - helps if I know what's going on lol.

Been checking my local site information and of course I was completely wrong to say '1 joule limit'.

As said above the site does say a maximum of 350 fps for fully automatic weapons, which seems the norm.

Feel a bit silly now lol

Have just enquired and I had green gas within my mag. My friend has informed me it's simply propane mixed with silicone.

Is there differences between brands on this type of gas that could potentially overpower a weapon?

• Supporters

Have just enquired and I had green gas within my mag. My friend has informed me it's simply propane mixed with silicone.

Is there differences between brands on this type of gas that could potentially overpower a weapon?

Green gas is a higher powered gas. You could try something like Abbey Predator gas or Abbey 144a. They are lower pressure gases that will lower your FPS.

• Supporters

1.2 joules equates to roughly 360fps at the muzzle on a .2g bb.

For a blowback pistol using green, to chrono that high is pretty unusual, I'm almost inclined to suggest trying another chrono. If your mate has a cheap one it could be bugged out.

Did you fire multiple shots to get an average of 360/1.2J, or just the once? 'Cos if it was just a one off reading there's a chance it could just be wrong, or it might've chrono'd gas particles instead of the actual shot or something.

I'd say to try and re-chrono it before thinking of doing anything else.

There are a few sites that would allow 360fps though, my regular site have a hard limit of 368fps for full auto capable weapons and sidearms, anything higher than that up to a limit of 500fps has to be locked to semi auto or be bolt action, and comes with a minimum engagement range of 20m.

Ed,

Had the same conversation last night with my mate, I don't know the brand of chrono he has but it's basically brand new, only used it a few times.

I chrono'd my M4 at the same time and it has an M90 spring in it (has to change it from original, again from Taiwan gun, was shooting at over 430fps!) and on .25 that was at ~270fps, which was about right I think.

I was using the exact same bb's and like you suggested I did fire several shots - can't remember exactly how many but it was more than 5 I think.

I'm playing on this Sunday so will have a look at the chrono again. If it's obviously too powerful then it will be sidelined, better safe than sorry. As I've only just got it I only have the one mag for it so it wouldn't get me very far anyway haha!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.