Need help on a British army N.I load out (1960-70's)!

IHELP4HEROES
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, i need help on what correct gear to purchase in this certain time period. So far i have got my eye on the pattern 58 webbing but need help on finding the correct head gear and flak vests?

If you don't have an l1a1 already, you could look into the sterling smg or you could keep black furniture as they also used them with black furniture. You're also gonna need a moustache, a land rover and a checkpoint.

I have been looking high and low for a wood stock set and cant seem to find one... But I did find this....

https://imgur.com/a/KIZ3R

Custom made. if your handy with wood (Thats what she said :P ) you could make one yourself. Or get the dimensions for the realsteel stock and hand guard take them to a carpenter have him/her make them. hollow out the stock for the battery and what not, then just file it down untill the fits on the RIF.

1968 pattern dpm smocks with 'trousers overall'(think lightweights) and 68 patt dpm trousers. Pretty much the same thing into the 80's until the 84 pattern was issued

Boots, DMS
Puttees, Khaki (Officers wore lighter versions)
Shirt, KF
Pullover, Woollen, Olive Drab (without epaulettes)(sometimes modified with a pen pocket on the left sleeve)
Beret (or regimental alternative)

DPM trousers were generally reserved for exercises.

Webbing was 58 pattern,

Helmet would ebe the Mk4 or 5 Steel. The Mk6 is too late.

Gloves are black leather with a padded back

Personal weapons were SLR or SMG, Browning 9mm pistols usually only carried by officers. The section machine gun was GPMG (LMG with a few units).

Trouser legs were tucked up using either twists, elastic bands, lengths of thick elastic, the rubber waterproof seals from mortar bomb containers or Hoover belts.

The body armour would be the older flak vest type, in OG, worn over the kit (from the 70s) or in the 80s an INIBA (Improved Northern Ireland Body Armour) vest with small plates front and rear, in OG but worn under the combat jacket. It was the pre cursor to the Combat Body Armour worn during The First Gulf War and Bosnia, right up to the introduction of Osprey.

for boots you could also go for the NI pattern patrol boot, a black high leg type boot, with a thin (allegedly compressed card board) sole, that was worn int he late 70s and early 80s.

Wow! cheers lads. i will try and buy bits and bobs over time and i will post some pics if you like of the finished load out. Once again cheers for the support on getting a historical load out. not only for air soft but for the historical side of view.

Cheers mate. i have ordered in a flak vest. now for the main weapon the King Arms L1A1 / SLR , doe's any of you lads know when they are in stock. my local retailer said it will take months to get his hands on???

Full length FN FAL / L1A1s are virtually impossible to pick up at the moment. There are one or two shorty versions but not the right types for your NI loadout. Star/Ares make the best looking L1A1(black furniture) but they are not as reliable as other makes, and despite appearing on the Ares website seem to be out of production too ATM. Best bet would be to keep an eye on the for sale section of the forum.

Here you go, classic NI loadout

1252907.jpg

Kharki beret, with Royal Anglian cap badge. DPM issue smock with Minden flash (red and yellow). Lightweight trousers, and early issue high leg boots (make sure you have your trousers elasticated at the top of the boot as that was the fashion in the forces then). Padded NI gloves and a flak jacket.

Good luck with the SLR, but defo consider an SMG

Cheers, i was not planning on wearing a regimental beret or caubeen as i do not like doing that (have not earned it.) but once again like to thank you guys for helping me achieve this historical load out. And i would prefer a SLR as it would be more preferable for airsoft or reenacting etc.

Cheers, i was not planning on wearing a regimental beret or caubeen as i do not like doing that (have not earned it.)

Well said :D

You don't need to wear a 'regimental' beret. Wear a Navy Blue beret. it is the 'default' colour. Or. wear a khaki one. just leave off a regimental badge if you have any qualms. there is a recent thread somewhere that goes into quite a lot of detail on what beret to wear.

Instead of a Regimental beret have you considered the much maligned DPM combat cap, better know to many as a "crap hat"? definitely from the era and very much non regimental, if you wanted to avoid a helmet? like these?

craph2.jpgFirst+Victory.jpg

Archived