WE Glock Help / Upgrades + Hydro dipping frame?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I'm considering to be buying a WE Glock 17 (Gen 4) from TaiwanGun or Gunfire. Alternatively, is the WE Glock 18 (also fourth gen) worth it for only about £9 more?

To be honest, I'm concerned I would get carried away using full auto if I bought one and wear down the internals too quickly. The 17 is £84.49 and the 18 £93.55.

I will be buying either Marui magazines from Fire Support (I imagine ~ £30 each with postage) or WE magazines that are £22.50 in total.

Running this holster: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fobus-Paddle-Holster-for-Glock-20-21-/350805425863?pt=US_Holsters&hash=item51ada1fec7

What I want to know:

1) Will a Madbull 6.03 TBB do much to improve accuracy? I know it shouldn't be an essential upgrade, but basically is it worth £20 (or is it fine using the stock barrel?)

2) I'm assuming that the magazine baseplate is the correct scale? Because I would like to know if they are compatible with this:

http://www.zahal.org/products/tactical-modular-glock-mag-extension?path_parent=218383

and if the WE mags could take these: http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152194097-Magazine-grip-for-TM-Glock-17.html

3) Finally, I'd like to get the frame hydro dipped, probably by the guys at Camo Lab. I rather wouldn't remove all the parts from the frame as I bet all the important internal parts will be difficult to re-install. What are your thoughts, should it be easy enough? I wouldn't mind paying the additional charge for dis-assembly twice so they can do this for me. Looking at £50-ish for the dip itself / work / postage then I guess.

Would I need to use a courier for shipping?

Ok hope those questions didn't sound too stupid. Thanks in advance as well for any help.

EDIT: Sorry I guess I should've posted this in technical help / advice :|

• Supporters

1) Will a Madbull 6.03 TBB do much to improve accuracy? I know it shouldn't be an essential upgrade, but basically is it worth £20 (or is it fine using the stock barrel?)

No. Waste of time and money buying barrel and hop parts for the WE Glocks. Mine is stock and it's good for 40m at least with .25s, I can and do run it as a primary, the only thing making it harder to use at longer range is the fact that it's a pistol so it's harder to hold steady without a stock to brace it against anything.

2) I'm assuming that the magazine baseplate is the correct scale? Because I would like to know if they are compatible with this:

http://www.zahal.org/products/tactical-modular-glock-mag-extension?path_parent=218383

and if the WE mags could take these: http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152194097-Magazine-grip-for-TM-Glock-17.html

They can definitely take the TM base plates, but I'm not so sure about the first ones. Only the KWA/KSC Glocks are perfectly 1:1 with the real steel, the Marui and WE are slightly wider, so it's likely that any real steel parts won't fit.

3) Finally, I'd like to get the frame hydro dipped, probably by the guys at Camo Lab. I rather wouldn't remove all the parts from the frame as I bet all the important internal parts will be difficult to re-install. What are your thoughts, should it be easy enough? I wouldn't mind paying the additional charge for dis-assembly twice so they can do this for me. Looking at £50-ish for the dip itself / work / postage then I guess.

Would I need to use a courier for shipping?

It's a doddle getting all the internals out of the slide, field strip it to get the barrel, inner barrel, recoil guide rod & spring out, then there's a single screw holding the rear sight on, which also slots through the entire blowback mech. Undo the screw and the sights come off, and the mech just drops out in a block. Couldn't be easier.

Front sight also removes with a single screw if you want to take that off too.

You can post it however you want, might even go as a medium sized parcel with Royal Mail if you just whack it in a jiffy bag.

Some additional pointers;

Get the WE mags, I actually think they're better than the TM ones, they have silent fill valves whereas the TM ones don't, from what I've been told. My mags are all WE and I've not had a single issue with any of them in the 18 or so months since I got it. Additionally, due to the metal construction it takes a bit more gas to get the mech cycling right and the WE mags have slightly higher flow valves than the TM ones, the gun actually feels pretty weak and puny using TM mags.

The gas routers are also slightly different; TM mags still fit and work, but the WE mags perform better on all accounts.

Holster ought to be good since it's for a Glock 21 so that makes up for the WE's wider frame.

Only thing else I can think to say is that they're actually pretty hard wearing, the only visible wear on any internal parts on mine is on the hammer sear, and the part that's worn is the part that the trigger arm pushes against to release the hammer, so the amount of wear on that particular area is largely irrelevant; as long as when you pull the trigger, the hammer falls, it's not worn enough to be an issue, so you ought to get at least 18 months out of the internals because I've hardly gone easy on mine.

Two of my mates have the G18 and both have admitted that auto rarely gets used in games, it's more a party piece for mag dumping at the end of the day, I'd just get the G17 personally, the G18 has an additional sear in the hammer mech which to me just seems like an additional thing that could wear out or break. For all the use you're going to get out of full auto I think it makes more sense to just conserve the life of the parts by sticking to semi, and if you're going to do that you might as well just buy one without auto in the first place.

It's a doddle getting all the internals out of the slide, field strip it to get the barrel, inner barrel, recoil guide rod & spring out, then there's a single screw holding the rear sight on, which also slots through the entire blowback mech. Undo the screw and the sights come off, and the mech just drops out in a block. Couldn't be easier.

Front sight also removes with a single screw if you want to take that off too.

You can post it however you want, might even go as a medium sized parcel with Royal Mail if you just whack it in a jiffy bag.

Thanks very much Ed! That was very helpful, but I was wondering how to dis-assemble the lower / grip and get that dipped - not the slide. Like this: (but in A-TACS FG or Kryptek Mandrake)

glockau.jpg

Then again, getting just the slide dipped would not doubt be the cheaper option. Not to mention that if it's just the frame I get done, you won't really see it when it is being held anyway.

The Kryptek (Highlander?) slide on the Glock looks awesome:

highlander.jpg

Again, thanks again for all the help. I'll get the G17, and a couple of WE mags from Patrol Base.

• Supporters

The lower is a bit more of a pain to get to pieces, the hammer mech comes out of the back in a block though, there's a pin through the grip around where the joint of your thumb sits that you need to punch out, and there's a screw at the back right of the frame once the slide's been removed.

Once they're out the hammer mech comes out in one piece, but there's an actuator and a spring that you'll need to make sure you don't lose, they're both on the left side.

You'll have to unhook the trigger arm too, but that's not too hard.

After that there's the trigger to remove, along with the slide lock lever which has the most fiddly spring in the entire gun attached to it, as well as the mag release and the take down lever section. Though tbh, I'm not sure you'd actually need to totally remove everything for hydro dipping, would you? Surely it's only applied to the outside of the frame?

I would've honestly expected you to just be able to send them the frame without actually bothering to remove anything from it, but I might well be wrong, I'm not really that sure how hydro dipping is actually done.

There's a 4 part strip down guide on YouTube by LaZouche Customshop, it's for the TM one but they strip down in the exact same way, I followed that guide to learn to strip mine down to individual components. They're actually really simple once you know what you're doing.

I'm pretty sure you have to dunk the whole frame into the hydrodip tank, so the film / water would go inside the frame. So you would have to remove everything.

Thanks again for the excellent advice :)I will watch the videos and decide on what I want to do. I'm not looking at doing it straight away anyway but it's something I am going to get done.

Edit: Okay so I'm going to get the slide dipped. Will buy the Fobus holster, a couple WE mags and three Element OD Glock speedplates + one of these (deciding between them)

http://www.airsoftpeak.com/nylon-padded-handgun-pistol-carry-case-black-p-1661.html

http://www.military1st.co.uk/27169a-mfh-small-pistol-case-black.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Padded-Pistol-Airsoft-Slip-Black/dp/B00A9V43QM/ref=sr_1_1?m=A1S0W327IRRNFL&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1404348407&sr=1-1&keywords=pistol+gun+slip+bag+15%22

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.