Good pocket-legal knives?

Finius

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Tbh the flipping and the tricks do seem intimidating but I'd rather have someone do that do me rather than come right up and stab me with a kitchen knife which is much more pratical and efficient. I mean, the fact that it is design to close up and be concealed in your pocket is not a sufficient reason; I could easily hide a small knife up my arm and whip it out when I want to. I used to be able to do loads of tricks with them (training version) but it just didn't seem that great at compared to kitchens knives at cutting and handling. A normal knife just grips better.

With a normal knife, no unsheathing involved, whip it out and stab a few people.

Buffterfly knife, take it out, do some fancy tricks to scare people, get punched in the face.

...or kicked out of the criminals hand.

tell that to the general public however.

time to stop discussing balis? :)

If it's just for warehouse work and general choppery then why not a Stanley utility knife? Do you really need 3 inches of blade when one inch of sharp replaceable blade will generally do?

I have a few of theses now, keep one in my work kit bag, one in my tool kit and one I the kitchen.

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=59464&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=CKXIueDMnb8CFSLmwgodi7YAzg

When I carried a leatherman at work I was always reluctant to use it in case I dulled the blade, so when I really needed it it wouldn't be as effective. A simple Stanley blade cost pence and can be changed quickly and safely.

Not as tacticool but more practicool.

post-9152-0-01831600-1403994426_thumb.jpgpost-9152-0-15828000-1403994713_thumb.jpg

why not just sharpen the blade when it get dull??!

so that box cutter is a slipjoint and not a locking blade? personally I would hate to have the cutting edge so far from the finger, even the 10-20mm that is common in many knives drives me insane. personal preference thou as a lot of people seem to like knives that have it. also there CAN be a legal issue as you can take out the blade and use it as a fixed blade, or hold the knife around the blade case. I know it sounds stupid, and it is, but that's how it goes with knives sadly.

Before people start protesting again, this is what happens: you get random stop searched. the police will not accept that the knife you carry is legal. the knife is confiscated and you will be prosecuted. the prosecutor will bend any law and do anything in his power to try to convict you. don't believe me? look at the law and see if you can find an actual law saying you're not allowed to carry a locking blade... there is non. a man got prosecuted for wearing a folding knife, in any other country, they would not even have a case against him. the law only bans fixed blades. the prosecutor however manages to convince the jury that once the blade is open the lock transfers the knife into a fixed blade. does it make sense? no. do we still have to abide by it? yes.

oh and I understand Finius found a knife :) thou I do not say that this should stop the discussion as members might stumble across the thread in the future.

• Supporters

don't believe me? look at the law and see if you can find an actual law saying you're not allowed to carry a locking blade... there is non

The Prevention Of Crime Act 1953, The Knives Act 1997, The Offensive Weapons Act 1996.

The first has various attached HO documents stating what is naughty and what is not, the others have similar definitions in them, though I can't be bothered to go rummaging to quote.

The Restriction Of Offensive Weapons Act 1959 names certain knife types specifically, butterfly/gravity/spring assists etc.

The Criminal Justice Act 1988 expressly states that anything other than a folding pocketknife is naughty in public.

There are exempt knives (pocket-legal), but even with those, if it is deemed you had it with intent to hurt someone, it's still illegal.

That said, in recent times the courts and the police have been told to be harder on knife prosecutions...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.