How do you choose a loadout?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Okay so MOLLE.. wouldn't exactly say uncommon

Uncommon would be a Fereday and Sons chest rig

Each loadout will not necessarily be a completely different set of gear. My WW2 Airborne loadout Consists of:

Pattern 37 webbing, backpack optional

Denim battledress jacket

Denim battledress trousers

P37 gaiters

Black combat boots

Denison Smock

Tankers helmet (will eventually be converted to an airborne helmet)

Lightweight gas mask bag

Sten Gun

Now, If I want to do an early war British Infantryman I make the following changes:

Denim battledress jacket

P37 gaiters

Black combat boots

Denison Smock

Tankers helmet (will eventually be converted to an airborne helmet) Brodie Mk2 helmet

Lightweight gas mask bag Large gas mask bag

Sten Gun SMLE rifle

Now to convert this to early war Aussie:

Denim battledress jacket Australian Service dress jacket

P37 gaiters

Black combat boots Tan boots

Brodie Mk2 helmet or Slouch hat

Large gas mask bag

SMLE rifle

So as you can see, in 6 purchases I have gone from 1 loadout to 3.

Next I plan to do an Aussie jungle loadout, for which I will need a green shirt, US HBT trousers and M38 gaiters and a waterbottle carrier I can adapt. This will then mean I have a US ww2 loadout sorted from the waist down if I choose to do that at some point.

So loadouts can be a domino effect where the 1st one costs a fair bit but then sets you up for a second that will be much easier and cheaper.

Hmm, I could also go for a Gallipolis loadout very easily with some long puttees and some breeches with a leather belt and leather bandolier.

So loadouts can be a domino effect where the 1st one costs a fair bit but then sets you up for a second that will be much easier and cheaper.

Hmm, I could also go for a Gallipolis loadout very easily with some long puttees and some breeches with a leather belt and leather bandolier.

That is exactly the same case with my African kits.. once you build one loadout its fairly easy to make it into others

Wow. Way more comments than I expected :P

Well I guess I'll just have to take a look around then. Thanks guys!

I would have expected more comments tbh. We all love to talk about our loadouts :D

Well as you said, the choice is yours haha

Why not try to copy a standard military loadout. You can pick up british DPM, desert or MTP kit fairly cheap, or even US kit. All you really need is the trousers and a smock. I personally have never worn a shirt if i can avoid it, even on operations. Just go for a t-shirt and smock on top (or a UBACS).

As for boots, just pick up a study pair that give support and are light weight (black leather will go with most loadouts and not look out of place)

Head gear is really up to you. Helmets look cool and allow for attachments but if you source a proper one they can be heavy if you're not use to them. Alternatively go for a bush hat, light weight and again will look good with most loadouts.

Webbing really is taste dependant. I have several different sets. As a minimum, in my opinion, you will need ammo pouches and a utility pouch (so may be a leg set up with drop pouches)

good luck

Practicality comes first if you want to have fun. Trying to tailor your look after a special forces unit will probably see you carrying too much stuff and being too overburdened to really get about effectively or quickly because remember who you're playing against - guys wearing nothing but combats and a t-shirt, with a polymer gun, no rig, and a pair of high caps.

This. Its often overlooked but an important point. No good having all the gear if you're going to be outpaced by light weight practical loadouts and even the new kid with only a hire G36 and 1 mag.

• Supporters

Well how do you? I know there are endless possibilities to clothes, vests, pouches you name it. It's hard to choose. You may say it's all up to me, and I know that. But if I'm looking for a tan/desert loadout, what should I get? Would be cool for it to look realistic. Maybe not exactly the same, but you milsim players know what I'm on about ;)

Kinda tired of running in everyday clothes with a vest on. So if you could help what would be needed. And how much the final price may be.

Just to go back to the practicality issue, I notice you've got a SCAR H and a Desert Eagle. If these are your main guns then they will most likely dictate what pouches/holsters you can reasonably use. You certainly won't be looking at things like a Recon Chest Rig for example (they're generally only compatible with 5.56mm mags).

There's LOADS of surplus desert kit floating about out there for very little money so maybe start with a DDPM UBACS shirt and trousers. Over that I'd look for a tan MOLLE chest rig or plate carrier so you can start finding mag pouches that will fit. Duty belt to hang a holster from (separate from whatever holds your trousers up), plus the holster (ask Black Death which ones he uses as I believe he dual wields DEagles).

Also - boots. If you're wearing trainers now, look for decent lightweight ones otherwise your legs will die after half a day! Meindl Desert Foxs are good and light and gettable for about £40 surplus (not waterproof mind).

My kit has evolved over time. It has lost a lot of stuff that, while giving an impression of a 'real' loadout just added weight and bulk.

I now usualy wear DPM trousers with knee pads over, an MTP UBACS shirt, Molle Vest with just the pouches I need (which varies from skirmish to skirmish) and a Camelback . British Army Assault Boots, (had them for ages, they are worn in perfectly), hard knuckle gloves and a Boonie Hat.

I started with a budget mercenary looking thing (Camo trousers, boots, tank top, tac-vest and any old hat), and slowly molded it into an assassin looking thing. So, at the moment, I'm like a modern ninja with camo for most matches. If I'm doing heavy urban where most camo won't matter, I'd go for more of a pure assassin thing similar to the terrorists on Counter-Strike Global Offensive on the cs_office map. Probably swap out the backpack for a tactical vest, jeans for casual camo (Probably my desert camo trousers, since they're more of a perfect fit, better for whizzing around), and boots for parkour shoes (Can't be a slow assassin lugging around wearing 20+oz boots, now). Luckily all my guns look good with the outfits I have, so I don't look like a tit with an out-of-place rifle or anything (E.g. Classic terrorist outfit with a SOPMOD).

So really, I mostly lean towards comfort, but not totally. I'm kinda lucky that camo trousers are comfy or I'd be wearing trackies out.

• Supporters

Okay so MOLLE.. wouldn't exactly say uncommon

To be fair you can't generalise everything like that, some stuff is less common than others, that's like saying your African stuff is common because quite a few people wear backpacks and viper south African assault vests. Being MOLLE doesn't automatically make it common

To be fair you can't generalise everything like that, some stuff is less common than others, that's like saying your African stuff is common because quite a few people wear backpacks and viper south African assault vests. Being MOLLE doesn't automatically make it common

If I had said US (or any other MOLLE using nations) kit was common because a lot of people use MOLLE rigs then yes but I didn't. A Viper SAAV doesn't make something African like MOLLE doesn't necessarily make it American

What I meant was that MOLLE is by far the most common form of rig/load bearing and Bulle and Condor rigs aren't exactly as rare as a LBT RRV etc

best thing is to do is google images and search navy seal's, delta, marsoc, marines, sas, sbs, etc.

or

patterns?

dpm, mtp,ddpm, marpat,aor, cadpat, flecktarn, etc

have look at what they wear and get a feel for what you think looks good. Then just start the collection :)

My loadout is a based on my budget.

went to my local surplus shop got MTP trousers & Ubacs for next to nowt. Boots the same, I wear Bijan knee pads in DPM (Because they are the only ones I found down slip down) DPM Boonie, OD green battle belt & Pouches (Because they were cheap)

it all works & I feel comfortable with it on.

Gone is the RICAS & MICH helmet modern soldier look as it was too heavy & cumbersome for me......I started over complicated & bought the stuff because I thought it looked cool......Now I dont hardly wear half of the stuff I origionally bought. I dont even bother with my pistol now, (it was never taken out of its holster during skirmishes anyway).

Now its trousers, ubacs, mags & primary. Nothing else worth carrying for me. Everyone is differant but I have found that faffy kits is just a waste of time & effort.

Try not to limit yourself to real life special forces or army uniforms. There are quite a few decent loadouts from action films/video games/comics etc. I wouldn't necessarily copy an entire loadout but nicking the odd idea here and there and combining it might make for something incredible and best of all unique

Do t be afraid to use your imagination rather than sticking to a strict set of rules or formal concept

l_65612a2fa26f4723828ebe3f60c29558.jpg DSC08360.jpg

I used to have a load out based on USMC FR from ArmA I I and it was really good.. but sold the RRV as I needed more African kit :)

Old dpm issue trousers

Older para smock

Old hi-tec boots

£30 molle vest

ammo pouch

drop pouch

pistol holster.

jack pyke bush hat with leaves

scrim net I wrap around my head

oh, knee pads, cause my knees are knackered.

plus goggles of course

no "look" unless cheap and comfy is one :)

• 3 weeks later...

I only really need two for the environments I play in,ie indoors cqb and woodland

As such I run a black police/SAS type set up for cqb and DPM for the woods......I know MTP is cooler but its nowhere near as useful as dfpm in the woods imo

Weapons wise,a ics SIG 551 Mrs lb AEG and a we scar gbb plus a trusty we SIG 226 in a serpa drop leg......seems to cover most bases

Try not to limit yourself to real life special forces or army uniforms. There are quite a few decent loadouts from action films/video games/comics etc. I wouldn't necessarily copy an entire loadout but nicking the odd idea here and there and combining it might make for something incredible and best of all unique

Do t be afraid to use your imagination rather than sticking to a strict set of rules or formal concept

I second that motion. Video game inspired loadouts can look amazing, aswell as be practical.

I wish I had the height and build to pull off a loadout similar to that 50 Cent game... Dual Deagles, AK-12 (47/74 would look good too, for more of an OG look), bulletproof/stab vest with a bit of MOLLE, desert camo lower half (with tan boots, I guess), and top it off with a nice flat-cap. Maybe even the gold watch, if it's BB proof.

blood-on-the-sand.jpg

Thinking of a 'Mil-spec gangster' kind of loadout. I remember one of the NPC models from Saint's Row the Third looked bloody good. I'll have to go take a picture of it in-game since Google yields no results.

Edit: Here we go. Imagine this without the obnoxious amount of purple:

R9ap7pY.jpg

Edited by Caliber

I've just now switched my loadout to basic as you can go.

DPM trousers

OD green top

Boots

Belt with 4 mags

sling

black mesh mask

Mesh glasses

DPM boonie hat

Oakley gloves.

May sell off all my MTP stuff as I have a feeling I wont need them in woodland anymore.

I second that motion. Video game inspired loadouts can look amazing, aswell as be practical.

I wish I had the height and build to pull off a loadout similar to that 50 Cent game... Dual Deagles, AK-12 (47/74 would look good too, for more of an OG look), bulletproof/stab vest with a bit of MOLLE, desert camo lower half (with tan boots, I guess), and top it off with a nice flat-cap. Maybe even the gold watch, if it's BB proof.

blood-on-the-sand.jpg

Thinking of a 'Mil-spec gangster' kind of loadout. I remember one of the NPC models from Saint's Row the Third looked bloody good. I'll have to go take a picture of it in-game since Google yields no results.

Edit: Here we go. Imagine this without the obnoxious amount of purple:

R9ap7pY.jpg

Did you say dual desert eagles???

747036D6-A39F-4F9B-A7FF-4E42C85CBBCA.jpg

Lol

Gotta say the biggest advantage of loadouts like these is that they are so damn cheap because you don't need to chase the latest expensive tacticool products! Last tshirt I bought was a CYBERDYNE logoed one giving the loadout a sort of terminator theme for just £8! Lot cheaper than a general tactical shirt lol

I also run a HYDRA tshirt (£6 eBay) which I thinks pretty cool also

4B97F953-1811-4A5B-9E72-A5FF0869AEE3.jpg

Also with these sorts of loadouts, they don't need to actually make tactical sense lol. You can have real fun with ideas and not worry about sticking to conventional lines

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.