How do you choose a loadout?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Well how do you? I know there are endless possibilities to clothes, vests, pouches you name it. It's hard to choose. You may say it's all up to me, and I know that. But if I'm looking for a tan/desert loadout, what should I get? Would be cool for it to look realistic. Maybe not exactly the same, but you milsim players know what I'm on about ;)

Kinda tired of running in everyday clothes with a vest on. So if you could help what would be needed. And how much the final price may be.

• Supporters

I don't do the whole "replica" loadout thing so mine's more what works (for me at least) - Coyote tan BDU trousers (because they have plenty of pockets and double reinforced seat and knees plus the have plenty of room to move about) a UBACS shirt for the wicking body (for the sweating) and heavier sleeves (for the protection). Tan baseball cap and boots to finish off. Start with what works and go from there really.

If your looking for a terrorist get about, look at the counter strike skins for terrorists, they fit a different one for every environment. For a bog-standard look, you could look into the 'phoenix connection' terrorists. If you want a soldier look then ignore this, but you can make some sweet terrorist looks and counter-strike captures each one with perfection :)

Pick a camo you like and go from there. Find a style of shirt, trousers and vest you like and get them to match

Edit: Am i missing something about a terrorist loadout...?

I don't do the whole "replica" loadout thing so mine's more what works (for me at least) - Coyote tan BDU trousers (because they have plenty of pockets and double reinforced seat and knees plus the have plenty of room to move about) a UBACS shirt for the wicking body (for the sweating) and heavier sleeves (for the protection). Tan baseball cap and boots to finish off. Start with what works and go from there really.

Go for a stormtrooper loadout. They sell stormtrooper airsoft masks. Get a custom AEG.

What kind of weapon family do you like the most or have?

G36?

M16?

AK47?

M14?

Then, what kind of armies use that weapon family?

When you've found a few, check their loadout and choose from there.

I have an AK47, so I like spetsnaz and PMC loadouts.... I don't have any though....

Games can also influence what you like... I like Russian weapons.

• Supporters

Go for a stormtrooper loadout. They sell stormtrooper airsoft masks. Get a custom AEG.

You know how you only ever see Stormtroopers doing a funny little jog in the movies? Never actually running? Yeah....that.

• Supporters

Go nuts and do the Darth Vader Loadout - crap at long range but lethal light-sabre kills

come to think of it - mayvbe they should do a Star Wars theme skirmish...

feckin awsome - rebels vs stormtroopers...

Actually bet the yanks already have this for jedi airsofters

Deffo seen lots of chubby 10-12yr olds that could easily pass as yoda I reckon

• Supporters

My motivation for a load out has been, what I had laying around or was cheap really, I had a set of woodland DPM from cadets, a set of DDPM can be picked up for close to £30 in some places.

I don't like to fit a particular theme, I haven't earned a PJ badge, hell I haven't even got a scouts badge. I just go for what fits, is cheap and is comfortable.

My Plate carrier for example is an OD Viper molle vest with cummerbund it came second hand off ebay with all the pouches I would need. Over time I have replaced some and modified others. It works for me but others might not like it that much. Its so fitted and I don't want to mess with it that I put it on over my head and wriggle into it rather than undo it every time. It is a little heavy but so am I so I don't notice it on the average skirmish, only on a weekender can it sometimes get a little heavy.

I say try stuff and see what you like. Some go for stuff that is unique or more uncommon some join teams that have particular styles. Maybe don't go spending load till you know if you will join a team and if they have a loadout.

I like having 'hipster' gear, I don't like looking the same as everyone else on the field. Although sometimes it has it's drawbacks in the uniqueness : comfort : usefulness ratio. Sometimes an item I buy can be really unique and useful but not comfortable, comfortable & unique but not useful etc.

I'm actually really reluctant making these posts to newbies guiding them to the gear I use, as I know if they buy some of it there will be a lot less uniqueness to my setup if more people use it :P

I've always strived for a unique look in loadouts- hence my M4 with mud brown furniture :P

In common with most of the above, in the main I don't go with a particular loadout, just what works for me, DP M pants, Foliage green top or fleece, Webtex vest or a chest rig, and DPM cap or headscarf mainly. Occasionally I'll wear my Vietnam tiger stripes or WW2 German gear for specific games but generally its as above as I tend to do Woodland games. Hard to beat DPM for woodland IMHO.

i just go for what i like. particularly black... i prefer black guns, or atleast mostly black. do you want full camo? or camo with your accessories a solid colour?, ie i currently use all black accessories with tiger stripe. one of my squad runs digital with a few black bits that he couldnt get in his camo... another has desert camo with tan accessories. usually most players pick on some of those points and go from there, sometimes changing as they go. it also can help to go from your favourite material, be it games movies historical etc. go for the look you want!

My loadouts are a result of guns I want. I bought a cheap sten gun so went for ww2 British airbourne. I decided it was a bit warm dressed like that so decided to do an Aussie loadout as that would enable me to use jungle green or Khaki drill gear for the summer and out of the 2 Rifle options the SMLE appealed more than the No4 that the british used later in the war. Mainly though, I found an Aussie jacket and hat and they look so unbelievably cool. I also love WW2 history so I have a lot of fun researching the loadouts.

Think about your favourite war film or book for inspiration.

• Supporters

I ended up building up my British Army loadout for two reasons.

1) I just don't think L85s look as good unless they're coupled with the proper kit.
2) Since I already had the gun, I thought that limiting myself to one avenue of gear - Just British stuff, instead of everything I like the look of - it might save me some pennies because I wouldn't just impulse buy everything I saw.

Turns out I spent just as much, just instead of it being limited by only buying British stuff, I just ended up researching British stuff a lot more and having just as much stuff to pick at... =/

Fail strategy.

What I would advise doing, is making a note of things that could help you out whilst you're playing, and then buying something to fulfil that requirement.

For example, if you're hiding in a bush and you get spotted, you might want some camo to make you harder to see, or if you run out of ammo you might want to buy a pouch to carry a spare mag or two.

You might buy some pyro and realise you have nowhere to actually put it where you can quickly and easily get it, so look for pouches to hold it.

Once you've bought a molle rig of some description and outfitted it with pouches entirely based on what you feel you need, it'll start looking like a pretty legit loadout anyway.

Doesn't have to cost you the world, and it doesn't have to all be bought over night. Just buy what you think will help, work out where best to mount it to yourself, and add to it and move it all around as required.

Practicality comes first if you want to have fun. Trying to tailor your look after a special forces unit will probably see you carrying too much stuff and being too overburdened to really get about effectively or quickly because remember who you're playing against - guys wearing nothing but combats and a t-shirt, with a polymer gun, no rig, and a pair of high caps.

• Supporters

I'm not hugely interested in getting a set of kit 100% to match the real thing, though I respect those that go to the lengths to do so.

I buy stuff depending on if I think it's practical or ergonomic, not much else in it really. Just make sure whatever you get comes from a decent brand.

There are alternatives to Molle. Webbing is a suitable alternative to a molle vest and may be cheaper, I love my pattern 1937 webbing. Pattern 1954 webbing is very cheap at the moment, you could probably get a set for £20ish if you fancied a loadout based on 1960's-80's. As Ed has said, if you want to save money, just get the bits you feel you actually need. If you do have money to spare though, a loadout based upon a real event/unit or on a film can be a very rewarding and fun thing to put together.

Mine is based on what weapons I have and if something strikes my interest that matches said weapons. This means I have a lot more kit than I do weaponry haha!

So far I have the following loadouts under construction:

- Generic multicam/MTP special forces soldier.

- Jungle fighter (Close Quarters).

- Army of Two/Mercenary.

- Metro 2033/S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Apocalypse survivor loadout.

- USSR/Eastern Bloc Tank Crew Member (1980s era).

Most of mine are inspired by games I'll admit, but I do dabble in "period accurate" loadouts from time to time. Most are Russian inspired in my case as they are not seen around much.

I may as well do a list of my current loadouts:

• Full OD Close Protection style lightweight loadout
  • MTP/Multicam infantry loadout
  • CB/Tan PMC medium weight loadout

Loadouts I have planned:

• USMC Support gunner (possibly with a CIRAS style PC and M249/M60E4)
  • Eastern Block urban marksman; will put together when I have enough for an RS SVD/when the G&G VSS comes out
  • Jungle Guerilla style- mixture of olive green and Tigerstripe or US Woodland + CYMA 048 AK and either a bandolier or Chicom rig

I like having 'hipster' gear, I don't like looking the same as everyone else on the field. Although sometimes it has it's drawbacks in the uniqueness : comfort : usefulness ratio. Sometimes an item I buy can be really unique and useful but not comfortable, comfortable & unique but not useful etc.

Since when was OD, MTP and CB hipster? :P

Well I've done so many loadouts its a joke!

Currently I run various African kits, why? because... TIA Bru! This is Effrica!!!

But seriously I just like the look and its something different, for choosing a loadout your best bet is just to find a kit you like from whatever source and go for that, after a while you start to realise what good or not or what works for you

Here's my List of Loadouts:

Current-

SADF Infantry 1970s

SADF Infantry 1980s (two types)

SADF Recce - 1970s Rhodesia/Mozambique

SANDF Infantry

African Mercenary - Executive Outcomes Sierra Leone and Angola

Planned/In Progress-

SANDF MONUSCO

SANDF MONUSCO Recce

Rhodesian Light Infantry (RLI)

Previous-

UKSF Task Force Black

US Army SF

US SEAL Early 2000's

USMC FR

A-TACS FG

A-TACS AU

Various other less specific loadouts

I know they're not hipster, I meant I use uncommon gear :P

Such as.....?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.