British mk6 helmet reproduction

ronin677

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

At Skirmish I plan to stick with what I've known all my adult life and stay with a standard British army loadout. The only thing that I really don't want to lug about is my helmet.

With this in mind I plan this weekend to take a mold of it and produce a fibreglass copy of the thing. It probably won't look pretty but once I've transferred the straps and cover I'm hoping the shape will look ok.

A little bit of padding front and back and jobs a good 'un

I'll let you all know how it goes :)

watch this space

Initial casting underway. I'm only using 'softcast' surgical casting as I'm not too concerned about capturing detail. All I need is the shape as it will be covered with a mtp cover and scrim.

I have got a spare set of straps from an old Mk6 also

woo hoo, hopfully cast it in fibreglass this weekend :)

20140620_073712.jpg

i wear an iraq issue mk6 with the mtp cover and it's bearable.. bit of a sweat bucket, but i'm aspiring to go to sandhurst after university so guess it's good practice for when they give me a shiny new mk 7 ;)

wow Sandhurst. Good luck buddy. I take my hat off to you for that one, I only ever got to Corporal.

Let us all know how you get on, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you :)

thanks, been an ambition for a while, hoping to get stuck in with the officer training core alongside my degree and go straight into the rmc at the other end, hopefully i've got what they want for an officer of the the best army in the world!

all ready for glassing today :)

Its not going to look pretty but the shape is there and once I have a cover on it no one will be able to tell the difference (except me because it will be about a quarter of the weight :)

20140621_093810-1.jpg

first layer of glass in place. OMG in this heat the resin is going off in minutes :o

I'll just let this go off and then apply the second layer :)

20140621_115301.jpg

wow! I really do admire your patience in knocking this up in the first place! Top job! Sorry to chip this in when you've done all the work, but I've only just joined the forum, the Mk6s Mk6A and the Mk7 are, as you know all ballistic helmets, and that mean they have some weight, but the old style para helmet (not the old old Steel one!) is virtually identical to a Mk6 and weighs next to nothing! Great for the heat of the Afghan summer! Not so great when real bullets start flying as they aren't ballistic! I'm sure you could pick one up on e-bay or somewhere? Falling that, start your own reproduction business! Good look! Can't wait to see it finished!

Really good job! If you didnt say which was fake and which was real, I would have not been able to tell.

Wow thank you so much :)

taa dah all done. Just waiting now for my MTP cover and then I can add a little scrim (proper current look)

20140621_173121-1.jpg

Very Impressive!

Improvise, adapt, overcome!

Lovin' it!

• Supporters

That's genius, might look into doing it with my Mk7

That's genius, might look into doing it with my Mk7

Cheers Airsoft-Ed :D here it is with my loadout. I've only really ever known this so I'm sticking with it

Picture014-1.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.