MOSFET help.

DEDSEC

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I feel we've strayed a little off the point here, so I'll sum up the answer for you:

- Mosfet: At their most basic they are a "gate" that controls the flow of power to the motor by way of 1 or 2 additional signal wires. These are wired to the trigger contacts in place of the power wire(s). This allows for more efficient power transfer (resulting in better trigger response) and prevents carbon build up on the trigger contacts as they are no longer part of the power circuit.

More advanced fets add voltage protection, burst features, pre-cocking, active braking bla bla bla.

"Plug and play" mosfets will only give you burst functions and voltage protection as your trigger contacts will still be part of the power circuit.

A mosfet cannot improve your rate of fire in any real sense (they may be very slight improvement due to more efficient power delivery). To get any real gains in RoF you need to look at upgrading your motor and battery to start with and gears if you want to go further. This does lead to its own problems as you will be putting your gearbox under a lot more stress. So then you need to look at gear shimming, lubrication, angle of engagement, sorbo pads and so on (and on). They are hundreds of written and video guides on what these things do and how to properly do them.

Deans connectors: basically are a better electrical connector than tamiya style ones (they can handle a much higher current), will add to the efficiency of the power circuit. These are advisable to use if you use lipos.

Bottom line is that if you dont want to get into the mucky muck of your gearbox then find a reputable airsoft tech to quote you on the cost of upgrading to a high speed set up.

I use a plug and play mosfet on my Sten gun. I use it solely for the burst fire aspect so have not hardwired it. From the instructions that came with it, it looks like a relatively easy job to hardwire it but if you have no experience of soldering or dismantling your gun, you might want to ask around at your next game and see if theres someone who could help you. I bet your local site has someone who knows a bit, they have hire guns to look after.

I would suggest that a non plug and play mosfet might be a better choice if you are going to hardwire a mosfet, Ian Gere seems to be the most knowledgeable person we have about Mosfets, maybe send him a PM?

I feel we've strayed a little off the point here, so I'll sum up the answer for you:

- Mosfet: At their most basic they are a "gate" that controls the flow of power to the motor by way of 1 or 2 additional signal wires. These are wired to the trigger contacts in place of the power wire(s). This allows for more efficient power transfer (resulting in better trigger response) and prevents carbon build up on the trigger contacts as they are no longer part of the power circuit.

More advanced fets add voltage protection, burst features, pre-cocking, active braking bla bla bla.

"Plug and play" mosfets will only give you burst functions and voltage protection as your trigger contacts will still be part of the power circuit.

A mosfet cannot improve your rate of fire in any real sense (they may be very slight improvement due to more efficient power delivery). To get any real gains in RoF you need to look at upgrading your motor and battery to start with and gears if you want to go further. This does lead to its own problems as you will be putting your gearbox under a lot more stress. So then you need to look at gear shimming, lubrication, angle of engagement, sorbo pads and so on (and on). They are hundreds of written and video guides on what these things do and how to properly do them.

Deans connectors: basically are a better electrical connector than tamiya style ones (they can handle a much higher current), will add to the efficiency of the power circuit. These are advisable to use if you use lipos.

Bottom line is that if you dont want to get into the mucky muck of your gearbox then find a reputable airsoft tech to quote you on the cost of upgrading to a high speed set up.

I understand now, many thanks for all your help. I desire a high rate of fire no longer since all your help in explaining it actually wears your gearbox even more.

I'll go by what I've learnt, maybe get a high torgue motor, 7.4 LiPo, and deans connectors and leave it? I do apologise for my lack of technical knowledge. You've all certainly helped me fully understand that I don't need to have a £900 maxed out gun to be better than everyone else's. I'm glad I joined this forum into a community with so many great guys.

• Supporters

I understand now, many thanks for all your help. I desire a high rate of fire no longer since all your help in explaining it actually wears your gearbox even more.

I'll go by what I've learnt, maybe get a high torgue motor, 7.4 LiPo, and deans connectors and leave it? I do apologise for my lack of technical knowledge. You've all certainly helped me fully understand that I don't need to have a £900 maxed out gun to be better than everyone else's. I'm glad I joined this forum into a community with so many great guys.

Just as an aside - if it's still got the original TM motor and it says EG1000 on the side, leave it alone until it breaks (if it breaks) it's plenty high enough torque for an M100 spring. I run mine on 7.4 LiPos and it's fine (and it's connected through standard Tamiya connectors too by the way).

Just as an aside - if it's still got the original TM motor and it says EG1000 on the side, leave it alone until it breaks (if it breaks) it's plenty high enough torque for an M100 spring. I run mine on 7.4 LiPos and it's fine (and it's connected through standard Tamiya connectors too by the way).

Hold on let me check.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.