MOSFET help.

DEDSEC

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all,

Thanks to a very nice member of this forum I have found a "plug and play" MOSFET which will be used in my newly aquired Tokyo Marui AKM.

Link to the MOSFET below.

(http://www.airsoftworld.net/burst-wizard-kk-plug-and-play-mosfet-king-kong-large-tamiya.html)

So this has got me questioning things. I'm certainly no airsoft tech guy so I cannot "hard wire" it as it says you need to do to get full features. However, I'm not really too bothered about burst fire and that. I'm more concerned about what the plug and play will do and how can I adjust the settings of rate of fire, sensitivity, and spring advance. I'm ultimately trying to get best sensitivity from pulling the trigger and a higher rate of fire as well as helping the guns durability with lipo's etc...

Could someone with some MOSFET/ electrical knowledge please elaborate this product and tell me some more? I assume it must be pretty common because of its simplistically.

Also, can someone please explain the purpose of this in relation to the MOSFET?

(http://www.airsoftworld.net/element-gold-plated-t-connect-plug.html)

Thanks!

• Supporters

You've linked a set of deans connectors.

A plug and play mosfet won't do any of the things you're asking for. In fact, a plug and play mosfet doesn't really do anything other than burst fire.

In order to improve your trigger response with a mosfet you need it to bypass your trigger contacts which can only be done by hard wiring. As for trigger sensitivity, that's a mechanical issue that you can fix with a new trigger or by bending the contacts inside the gun. Monitoring the spring position directly can't be done with any off the shelf product at the moment, there are mosfets that can monitor the position of the sector gear though, which is just as good. The BTC spectre and chimera units both do those things amongst a wide variety of features. They're not cheap though and fitting them requires a certain level of technical knowledge.

As above. You need to wire any mosfet into your trigger contacts to gain any usefulness out of it. A basic fet will give you the increased trigger response and save your trigger contacts from burning out. More expensive ones will give you programmable features such as the btc ones. All require getting intimate with the inside of your gearbox. You should also change your battery connections to deans.

As above. You need to wire any mosfet into your trigger contacts to gain any usefulness out of it. A basic fet will give you the increased trigger response and save your trigger contacts from burning out. More expensive ones will give you programmable features such as the btc ones. All require getting intimate with the inside of your gearbox. You should also change your battery connections to deans.

You've linked a set of deans connectors.

A plug and play mosfet won't do any of the things you're asking for. In fact, a plug and play mosfet doesn't really do anything other than burst fire.

In order to improve your trigger response with a mosfet you need it to bypass your trigger contacts which can only be done by hard wiring. As for trigger sensitivity, that's a mechanical issue that you can fix with a new trigger or by bending the contacts inside the gun. Monitoring the spring position directly can't be done with any off the shelf product at the moment, there are mosfets that can monitor the position of the sector gear though, which is just as good. The BTC spectre and chimera units both do those things amongst a wide variety of features. They're not cheap though and fitting them requires a certain level of technical knowledge.

This is all very confusing. Any idea who could do all this for me and how I change my connectors to deans?

Changing the connectors to deans just involves removing the tamiya connectors from the wires that connect to your battery and the on the batteries themselves and then soldering on some deans ones.

A good airsoft tech can do this an fit a mosfet for you.

• Supporters

I have the newer KK2 version of that FET and it does do some cool stuff as plug and play (burst fire for example) but not the things you're looking for. If you go to the manufacturers website you can download a copy of the manual http://www.aegwizard.com/uploads/BURST_WIZARD_KING_KONG_SUPER_user_manual_7_0.pdf

You program it by a number of trigger pulls and the LED flashes to confirm what you've done.

It's a nice FET but you do really need it hardwired.

Changing the connectors to deans just involves removing the tamiya connectors from the wires that connect to your battery and the on the batteries themselves and then soldering on some deans ones.

A good airsoft tech can do this an fit a mosfet for you.

I have the newer KK2 version of that FET and it does do some cool stuff as plug and play (burst fire for example) but not the things you're looking for. If you go to the manufacturers website you can download a copy of the manual http://www.aegwizard.com/uploads/BURST_WIZARD_KING_KONG_SUPER_user_manual_7_0.pdf

You program it by a number of trigger pulls and the LED flashes to confirm what you've done.

It's a nice FET but you do really need it hardwired.

I see. So hard wired is the only way to go by the sounds of it. Also, an airsoft tech is out of the question because I live in the north east of Scotland and there isn't a airsoft shop anywhere near me.

Any ideas on who could do it?

Can you solder? It's really NOT that hard.

You could try Kingdon of Airsoft in Dundee http://www.kingdomofairsoft.com/

In my entire 38 years alive I have not once soldered anything.. Pretty bad huh?

But of course, there are other factors stopping me doing it myself. Such as, I have no idea how to disassemble my TM AK, and I have no knowledge on AEG gearboxes. I will just end up turning it to turd, breaking a very nice weapon.

if it's already a very nice weapon why are you considering cocking about with it?

Visually it is nice, internally it's just the same as any other stock gun, you want to improve it.

• Supporters

Visually it is nice, internally it's just the same as any other stock gun, you want to improve it.

Ah but do you need to improve it?

Ah but do you need to improve it?

what's wrong with a 'stock gun'? My M4 is internally stock (with the exception of the inner barrel) and it's fine. You're not going to get massive game-changing gains by sticking new bits in, it's all marginal.

It's those small changes that make a big difference. Apart from helping it function better and last longer, it will perform that little bit better than everyone else's AEG. Giving you an advantage on the battlefield.

• Supporters

It's those small changes that make a big difference. Apart from helping it function better and last longer, it will perform that little bit better than everyone else's AEG. Giving you an advantage on the battlefield.

Is this not the gun with Systema internals though?

• Supporters

Ahh ok then, I bow to your superior experience of 'customised' 'upgraded' guns shooting further and more accurately than stock ones.

I've not been doing this long you see.

Ahh ok then, I bow to your superior experience of 'customised' 'upgraded' guns shooting further and more accurately than stock ones.

I've not been doing this long you see.

Your sarcasm makes me laugh my friend, but is there any need? I'm simply going by what all these airsoft websites say is "good for your gun", "an essential upgrade", " increases the range and accuracy of your airsoft gun". I'm no airsoft veteran that's been playing it since the ice age. I simply play to have fun with my son. Nothing wrong with spending money to make it a little bit better and letting it last longer.

I only asked for help with a MOSFET and what their purpose is and this post only got to gearbox internals when someone explained hard wiring. This is new to me, I do not own twenty airsoft guns, I do not dissemble gearboxes for fun, I know very little about airsoft I just play for fun.

So please take your sarcastic comments elsewhere as its not needed for someone simply asking for help and going by what I hear.

Is this not the gun with Systema internals though?

However yes, I do believe it has systema gears inside but is that all a gearbox has inside of it?

• Supporters

However yes, I do believe it has systema gears inside but is that all a gearbox has inside of it?

Pretty much. Airsoft guns are simple beasts.

As for jcheese - stick around, he grows on you ;)

• Supporters

Just to go back to your original point though - you won't get a higher rate of fire from the MOSFET alone, a higher power battery will help but if you're looking for silly high numbers (25rps and up) then you're into changing gear ratios, swiss cheesing the piston etc etc. Just wanted to clarify that. Not sure if you realised is all.

Pretty much. Airsoft guns are simple beasts.

As for jcheese - stick around, he grows on you ;)

Many thanks for being a little more mature with your reply.

I just thought with all these aftermarket parts that gearboxes were technologically advanced boxes packed with miniature bits and bobs. I've never opened one so I hope you can understand my lack of knowledge and believing what airsoft websites say.

• Supporters

Ok, I'll respond with as mature an attitude as I can; 99% of the sh*t you can read on t'internet about 'airsoft gun upgrades' is a load of wank. The vast majority of it's written by 14 year old kids who still cling to the idea that a longer tighter barrel is more accurate and that LiPo batteries will scorch your trigger contacts in minutes so you MUST have a MOSFET or your gun will break.

All false.

If you want good consistency at range (note; not accuracy, there's no such thing as an accurate airsoft gun, just consistent ones) squeeze out the maximum FPS your site allows and get your hop up working perfectly. The FPS isn't a MUST HAVE, but a good hop-up is. Since I don't know what brand your gun is I can't advise you on what to do to improve your hop up, but a standard tokyo marui hop up unit and rubber is always a pretty safe bet.

With barrels quality of finish is more important than bore diameter or length, a 100mm long 6.08mm diameter barrel with a flawless inside will be more consistent than a 600mm long 6.03mm diameter barrel with even a tiny imperfection.

MOSFETs have a place, certainly the more expensive computerised ones which provide all sorts of awesome features, but even the standard pure-MOSFET that just routes power past the trigger contacts is useful... if there's a problem which requires it. If it aint broke, don't fix it is a mantra I pretty much live by. If your trigger contacts haven't burned out, they aren't broken. I personally don't advocate the use of 11.1v batteries in anything really, there's no need for 25+ rounds per second monsters and the added wear from the increased cycle speed will wear the gun out quicker. Use a 7.4v LiPo and you'll get the advantage of a higher burst discharge rate than NiMh meaning your semi-auto trigger response will be quicker without the trigger contacts burning out and your piston stripping because the whole thing's cycling at a million miles an hour.

Short story:

If there's a particular aspect of your gun's performance that you feel is lacking then there is a way to fix that problem, however, throwing parts at it as 'upgrades' because on the internet everyone has an upgraded gun is at best a money pit, at worst a good way to screw the gun up.

• Supporters

if it's this one:

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/21366-tokyo-maruisystema-akm-originally-ak47/?hl=systema

internally, leave it alone, with the stuff that's in there you're looking at mega bucks to get any real gains. Feed it 7.4v LiPo batteries and good quality ammo (0.25g blasters or similar) and it'll last you forever.

Ok, I'll respond with as mature an attitude as I can; 99% of the sh*t you can read on t'internet about 'airsoft gun upgrades' is a load of wank. The vast majority of it's written by 14 year old kids who still cling to the idea that a longer tighter barrel is more accurate and that LiPo batteries will scorch your trigger contacts in minutes so you MUST have a MOSFET or your gun will break.

All false.

If you want good consistency at range (note; not accuracy, there's no such thing as an accurate airsoft gun, just consistent ones) squeeze out the maximum FPS your site allows and get your hop up working perfectly. The FPS isn't a MUST HAVE, but a good hop-up is. Since I don't know what brand your gun is I can't advise you on what to do to improve your hop up, but a standard tokyo marui hop up unit and rubber is always a pretty safe bet.

With barrels quality of finish is more important than bore diameter or length, a 100mm long 6.08mm diameter barrel with a flawless inside will be more consistent than a 600mm long 6.03mm diameter barrel with even a tiny imperfection.

MOSFETs have a place, certainly the more expensive computerised ones which provide all sorts of awesome features, but even the standard pure-MOSFET that just routes power past the trigger contacts is useful... if there's a problem which requires it. If it aint broke, don't fix it is a mantra I pretty much live by. If your trigger contacts haven't burned out, they aren't broken. I personally don't advocate the use of 11.1v batteries in anything really, there's no need for 25+ rounds per second monsters and the added wear from the increased cycle speed will wear the gun out quicker. Use a 7.4v LiPo and you'll get the advantage of a higher burst discharge rate than NiMh meaning your semi-auto trigger response will be quicker without the trigger contacts burning out and your piston stripping because the whole thing's cycling at a million miles an hour.

Short story:

If there's a particular aspect of your gun's performance that you feel is lacking then there is a way to fix that problem, however, throwing parts at it as 'upgrades' because on the internet everyone has an upgraded gun is at best a money pit, at worst a good way to screw the gun up.

if it's this one:

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/21366-tokyo-maruisystema-akm-originally-ak47/?hl=systema

internally, leave it alone, with the stuff that's in there you're looking at mega bucks to get any real gains. Feed it 7.4v LiPo batteries and good quality ammo (0.25g blasters or similar) and it'll last you forever.

Yes, that's the one. I must sincerely apologise and at the same time thank you for showing your true colours. I just didn't appreciate sarcasm to my lack of knowledge as a middle aged guy. So I apologise, but thank you for explaining in great detail the whole "upgrading" aspect of airsoft. I didn't realise it was so basic. You're right about those 14 year olds as most reviews on YouTube are around that age.

My son watches that Scoutthedoggy guy on YouTube and in his videos you always see guys with maxed out guns and they always get the hits. However, after your explanation it's simply logic, more friction means more wear.

So thank you.

I use a plug and play mosfet on my Sten gun. I use it solely for the burst fire aspect so have not hardwired it. From the instructions that came with it, it looks like a relatively easy job to hardwire it but if you have no experience of soldering or dismantling your gun, you might want to ask around at your next game and see if theres someone who could help you. I bet your local site has someone who knows a bit, they have hire guns to look after.

I would suggest that a non plug and play mosfet might be a better choice if you are going to hardwire a mosfet, Ian Gere seems to be the most knowledgeable person we have about Mosfets, maybe send him a PM?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.