Choosing a sniper ...

beedenboy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello...

Im looking into buying a sniper. I halve been looking into the Tokyo marui vsr and vsr g-spec. Could any one give me advice on which one they think is better and any other manufacturer suggestions.

Also, easy to upgrade.

Thanks

Unfortunately Marui have started crimping cylinder heads on VSRs,so you cannot get at the internals without trashing the cylinder. This adds a fair amount of expenditure on upgrades as you now need a new cylinder,spring guide,spring,piston and cylinder head,which is silly since the stock parts barring the piston are usable.

Action Army make cheap and high quality cylinders & heads. Their pistons are also very high quality too.

First off,you need reliability mods done since most sniper rifles come with poor quality stock parts,and what's a sniper rifle without reliability? It's one of the main reasons of getting one in the first place.

For Springs Under M120 rating(Depends on manufacturer,this is the '120 m/s' rating spring which is a rough rating of your velocity in m/s.) You can stay with the stock 45 degree mechanism and still have reliability. You will need to replace the trigger sear,piston sear and piston to get the best out of it. SHS make a cheap and good quality sear set. Piston sears are wear Items,I recommend having two,one in the gun,one as a spare.The other stock parts will do fine.

I highly recommend ball bearing spring guides. They reduce stress,make the bolt action smoother and increase power output by a bit.

Also,I recommend placing some sorbothane dampers on the cylinder head to quieten down the rifle.

For higher spring powers (120 and over) I'd go for a 90 degree mechanism. PDi and Action Army make my favorite. Laylax is good but expensive,the action army one is just as good and cheaper. PDi Is adjustable and has spare parts,uses higher quality metals and machining so it's a bit more pricey but the price reflects the quality

ASPUK also sell the AirsoftPro czech made EZ triggers which are very cheap and pretty good quality,often come in bundles with the piston.

You will need a 90 degree piston for a 90 degree trigger. PDi,Laylax and AA all make good ones. PDi's catch is carbon steel which is stronger than the stainless steel the other guys use.

Once you have your reliability components sorted,you can focus on performance. The stock Marui hop up is good but is lacking in the adjustment mech. I reccomend doing the TDC mod for best results. Dangerwerx hop up arms are also a good investment. Otherwise,leave the hop up on TMs stock as much as possible since aftermarket ones are not that much better,worse in some cases. Stay away from the PDI Dual bar hop unit.

For the barrel,the TM Gspec already has a 6.05 ''precision'' brass barrel which I find is pretty decent. PDi barrels are a good investment to get the most out of your gun but the TM one is fine,since it's brass it likes to scratch over time from BBs riding the top,but polishing it every 50,000 or so rounds should prolong it's life. It's only a worry for the long term,stick with it and get as much use out of the stock parts as possible if they are not impacting performance negatively.

What else can I say? Search the internet for DIY mods such as masking tape barrel spacers,sealing the hop rubber with dental floss,use PTFE tape to seal the cylinder head, use good quality silicone grease for cylinder lubrication,and the stock TM O ring on the piston seals the best in my experiences.

Wow, thank you for the descriptive overview. I would be lying if I said I understand all of the above.

Thank you anyway

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.