G&G cm16 carbine (good first gun!)

team flex

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

FPS:330-370
Hop up: Yes
Mag Capacity: 450 hi cap supplied
Battery: not supplied but mini tamayi connection as standard.
Plastic/Metal/Both: both

Hey there guys, some of you may know I recently bought a G&G cm16 carbine. I bought from zerooneairsoft, and had it two toned. Out of the box, it smelled of cheap paint, and the green was not perfectly painted on.

When I got the gun, I noticed a few things. Firstly, the paint wasn't amazing, secondly, it looked really good quality, and thirdly, the flash hider is the opposite (eg left = tighten, which is a bugger if you want to put it on.)

As I had expeiences in the past with bad stocks, I was relieved to find out the stock tube was fully metal, thus ensuring a slick procedure back and forth. The overall attention to detail is pretty good, and it doesn't look too much like a £120 gun (apart from 2 tone obvs).

The magazine is a normal m4 mag, however I would look into mid caps, because since emptying 2000 rounds through my gun, It seems my fingers are quite sore from all of the cog doing up.

THE GUN:

It came with a flash hider, never to be used again for me, and a cleaning rod and some bbs. On a side note, when I took the gun out, I found the trigger to be quite stiff, and for about 30 mins, it was actually jammed in place. It hasn't happened since, and I believe it must be the trigger needed wearing in. The quality felt good, except for the upper reciever, which is plastic and not attached to the lower part. This is presumably so that you can get to the internals, however if you press on it, it does go in and out and makes a clicking sound, which makes the gun feel cheap. The cranestock is quite hard to get off at first, and after that you will find it becomes much easier, however some of the two tone comes off in the process. Overall, IDM it because in a way it makes the gun look used and therefore realistic, but 2 tone can only be so realistic lol.

A point I had with it was whenever I put the stock against my shoulder, the sling point would dig into my shoulder. Nothing an allan key couldn't fix, and I have taken it off.

That brings me to my next point: shooting.

For me out of the box, it wasn't hot or anything. The hop up was just right, however with the wind etc I decided to take the top sight off, because I felt it limited my pov. left to right. This is preferance.

As i said, the trigger feels nice now and the reaction speed is pretty good, not systema but all you need for your first gun. I was able to pull quite a few bbs down the garden on semi.

anyways, the battery I bought is a 7.4v cranestock lipo 2600mah, And I reckon, atm somehow could get 7000 shot out of it... That will go down I guess to 2600. It fits nicely in and powers the gun very well. Once you know how to charge, it is easy and takes not much time at all to get it fully charged again, you just have to be careful.

The gun and the left side is very neat, partly because of the CM16 logo. There is a big point on the right side, so I normally have it right up (in case it marks a sofa for example) The right side is quite cheap looking with CE and a picture of a bin, but it is livable. The hp up system is hard to get to and the thing behind the sights can be moved from side to side, making it feel cheap.

I will update this with the internals etc...

IF YOU ARE THINKING OF GETTING THE RAIDER, I WOULDN'T. THIS IS CHEAPER, YOU CAN UPGRADE STOCK, AND IS JUST AS GOOD, AND BETTER LOOKING. TBH doesn't matter which one (edited) they perform the same

Overall 8.5 out of ten for me. It is a very good first gun and I would recommend it for anybody!

EDIT: Was playing around with the sight and managed to pull the winder off, will be able to fix it though. entirely my fault. Played a few garden battles and owned, seriously worth it. Only thing annoying is the length, i would get the cqb version if i could buy again. just for travelling. TBH they are the same.

Right, I have skirmished quite a few times, and would just like to say it still outperforms other guns, and still runs perfectly. totally recommend it :)

Internals I have found to be robust, haven cleaned it at all and no reshims and the gearbox is still going well. definitely worth getting!

Plastic is also of god quality, dropped it a few times, and not even any scratches. Very happy.

• Supporters

Two questions - one, what do you mean about never using the flash hider again and two by "the thing behind the sights" do you mean the charging handle (the bit you pull back to get at the hop unit)?

I think the flash hider you're referring to is actually a safety cover. The big point on the right side is a feature of the real rifle and is for deflecting spent cartridges.

Anyhow, good choice for a first gun, the combat machine range are great bang for buck.

I think the flash hider you're referring to is actually a safety cover. The big point on the right side is a feature of the real rifle and is for deflecting spent cartridges.

Anyhow, good choice for a first gun, the combat machine range are great bang for buck.

idk, its the thing that you scre on the end. I use an l85-a2 in CCF, and it doesn't come with a flash hider. I think it is mainly for looks as the real gun has one, but I dont think it does anything. thanks for telling me. :D

Two questions - one, what do you mean about never using the flash hider again and two by "the thing behind the sights" do you mean the charging handle (the bit you pull back to get at the hop unit)?

yes, the charging handle. when I pull it back nothing happens...

• Supporters

idk, its the thing that you scre on the end. I use an l85-a2 in CCF, and it doesn't come with a flash hider. I think it is mainly for looks as the real gun has one, but I dont think it does anything. thanks for telling me. :D

yes, the charging handle. when I pull it back nothing happens...

I would suggest you actually use an L98 in cadets. May of which have a plain barrel extension rather than a "birdcage" style flash hider. Like these:

image002.jpg

The M4 that your CM16 replicates is supposed to have a flash hider. Leaving it off will just make it look like you've broken your gun.

When you pull the charging handle back it SHOULD pull the ejection port dust cover back allowing you to gain access to the hop up adjuster, like this:

M4+CQB+R+AR15+M16+airsoft+Dboys+Marui+04

If that's not the case either you're not pulling it back far enough or there's something wrong with it and you should get it looked at.

^^ 1) the gun does look about like that but the thing in front of the cocking handle is not there, also I checked and they do have birdcage flash hiders.

2) I am not sure about G&G, it seems odd, however on the dboys there is a small wire you can see that has been pulled over the tip, which is connected onto the dust cover. I believe this is what makes it move. On my gun, there is nothing like that. IDK if that is how it is meant to be so will get it checked.

• Supporters

^^ 1) the gun does look about like that but the thing in front of the cocking handle is not there, also I checked and they do have birdcage flash hiders.

2) I am not sure about G&G, it seems odd, however on the dboys there is a small wire you can see that has been pulled over the tip, which is connected onto the dust cover. I believe this is what makes it move. On my gun, there is nothing like that. IDK if that is how it is meant to be so will get it checked.

1) That'll be an L98A2 then (semi auto capable version - the thing in front of the cocking handle is the assist lever)

2) yeah....get it checked. The dust cover should be pulled back by a plastic piece that runs along the side of the cylinder. When you pull the charging handle back you should be able to see the hop up unit so you can adjust it (as in the picture) It could just be that the dust cover has hopped off the plastic retractor or t may be broken. Worth getting it looked at just in case.

• Supporters

No, the cm16 doesn't have the dust cover come down when you pull the charging handle. That's only their EBB's. you'll need to get your nail in there.

I don't mean the ejection port cover, I meant the sliding cover inside the receiver - it should pull back with the charging handle. To be honest though I've not seen any M4 where the ejection port cover doesn't flip down when you pull the charging handle back, but I am willing to stand corrected. I'll have a look at my buddys ones later.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

G&G Raiders don't drop down either - well the cheaper ones don't

(perhaps full metal or blowback ones drop down when charge handle pulled)

slightly more expensive G&G's seem to - Fire Hawk & CM18's do drop down like most M4's

SRC Dragon or BullDog M4's (rebadged Dragon's for JBBG tossers) don't drop down either

think it may save a few pennies or maybe less to go wrong if catch fails - dust cover will always be open

cost saving or less to go wrong if catch fails - dunno

(think the B500A1 drops down but still a crap gun all the same)

• Supporters

LOL - got 2 of them and they are crap, yup they fire at 240 with .20's

or maybe nudge near 300 if using 0.12's but they go everywhere....

yup I thought they was ok but then I got a real gun - G&G = 330 on .20's

at very best you can only use for cqb - on open woodland you would

get totally owned - I did go to a cqb site but TWA lost their urban site

now only got woodland and would be crap to use there.

At best the b500a1 is garden target shooting but not if ya garden or

target is under 75ft away, and you can't upgrade stuff coz they don't

use the usual proper gearbox or motor but cheapo plastic crap and

motor that is weaker than scalextric motor. yes an airsoft gun but only

just about at a push - well heavy shove to be precise

• Supporters

yup flash hider glued on and gun is in 2 halves right down middle

One of mine jammed very quickly using them cheap free pack of 50 bb's

so had to open her up coz jam rod was useless - yup learnt hard way....

DON'T use them cheap 50 or 100 bb's you get in with lame ar$e guns

they are even lamer than the gun - a bollock ache to put back n all, screws

all look like they will strip and fit back properly, like a crap disposible lighter

you use it for little while and just chuck it away in the end

Luckily brands like G&G & ICS give you a bag of 500 or 1k of proper bb's

but them tiny bags of cheap bumpy jammy bb's go in bin or have use some

possible decent looking ones in my CO2 pistol - 400 to 450fps yeah that bb

is coming out the other end for sure.....

plus you look like a nob with it.....

OnlyBBGuns do it it mainly in black with just a touch of blue but alas gun is

still crap like I said and though it seems good and could be ok perhaps.......

NO IT IS CRAP and you wish you saved your money to buy a £100 G&G

The Combat machines do not have a dust cover that comes down with the charging handle pull, nor is there a bolt. The charging handle isn't attached to anything but a spring, it has no function at all. On the higher end G&G guns the charging handle does flip the cover open but not the on combat machines.

My Combat machine fired quite high and too the right out of the box. I had to wrap the barrel with tape to reduce the wobble and replace the standard nub with a H nub to get it firing within an adjustable range. I also had to downgrade the spring to an M90 to get it below 328 fps as out of the box it was firing 340. The other problem I had with it was the stock hi cap that came in the box, it was rubbish. It didn't feed BBs very well, really unreliable. I also bought it a flash mag and that was a lot better, completely reliable.

My CM16 came out of the box firing 12 rps on a 7.4V 2400mah lipo (25C). That isn't very impressive but it was sufficient. Other than the changes I had to make for accuracy/hop and the magazine it worked reliably until it was retired for my now hated T4-18.

• Supporters

no I don't think so - the motor is right inside - can't remove it from pistol grip

like on "normal" TM design that is the norm....

The gearbox is all plastic and though looks similar layout to regular v2 box

I very much doubt if it would fit properly or without serious modding etc.....

besides it is bright orange - or the blue one not too bad.

They are not completely crap if garden plinker or at a very tight push used

at cqb if on a real low budget but you WILL GET OWNED at any woodland

even Dragon from SRC will just disintegrate quickly so them or BullDog M4A1

is not a good idea either for £80 - I bought most crap/so-so stuff whilst going

for UKARA and in general I speak from experience about buying $hite

You really don't wanna buy B500A1 - even for plinking, that £60 could be spent

so much better if you saved n bought a £100 G&G carbine - even in clear if no

UKARA - somebody needs to ask G&G about doing Raider in clear with RIS etc

I mean receivers on carbine are clear so it might nearly pass 51% 2-tone if say

clear RIS or crane or clear flash hider....

but no don't even think about B500A1 - you could buy mine as I said before:

skirmished once & very very low use - coz its crap !!!

• Supporters

Some CM's have drop down dust cover on hopup but not raider & carbine's for £100~£130

CM Fire Hawk & CM18's drop down but not the very low end CM's - maybe metal Raiders drop down

but not got one in metal so can't say but presume they do as £100 more

yeah the G&G's do vary a little in fps but most guns will need a tweak or up/downgrade depending on

your local site's rules n limits

All the same - even with the odd tweak n stuff the G&G carbine/raider is one of the best guns you can

start out with and should last or be easy to fix/upgrade etc...

deffo a wiser investment than many many other $hite models out there

The Combat machines do not have a dust cover that comes down with the charging handle pull, nor is there a bolt. The charging handle isn't attached to anything but a spring, it has no function at all. On the higher end G&G guns the charging handle does flip the cover open but not the on combat machines.

My Combat machine fired quite high and too the right out of the box. I had to wrap the barrel with tape to reduce the wobble and replace the standard nub with a H nub to get it firing within an adjustable range. I also had to downgrade the spring to an M90 to get it below 328 fps as out of the box it was firing 340. The other problem I had with it was the stock hi cap that came in the box, it was rubbish. It didn't feed BBs very well, really unreliable. I also bought it a flash mag and that was a lot better, completely reliable.

My CM16 came out of the box firing 12 rps on a 7.4V 2400mah lipo (25C). That isn't very impressive but it was sufficient. Other than the changes I had to make for accuracy/hop and the magazine it worked reliably until it was retired for my now hated T4-18.

you must of had one that had something done during transport or something like that which damaged it. Mine fires to the left a bit but fine really, but yours are problems that has never happened to me, and I think i get 16+ rps out of my cm16 on a 7.4. Also noticeable that the mag on mine is fine although I did have to take it apart after the metal inside broke, bound to happen on a hi cap at some point. if you can you should get a refund but i'm guessing you bought it too long ago, definitely had none of these problems nearly as bad as yours.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading this I'm glad I went with a used EBB raider vs a cm. It's the little things like the charging handle having a purpose that makes the difference.Although the first thing I did with the EBB was to change the cylinder to stop the blow back :P .

Thanks for the review flex.

After reading this I'm glad I went with a used EBB raider vs a cm. It's the little things like the charging handle having a purpose that makes the difference.Although the first thing I did with the EBB was to change the cylinder to stop the blow back :P .

Thanks for the review flex.

each for their own, would much rather spend money on magpul and that lot, but then again, I HATE the normal stock. A quick update.

Performed flawlessly, shot about 5k rounds plus, seriously good, last game I legit got 100+ kills, brilliant. Starting to upgrade it. Next week will be hop up, what does everyone recommend for hop upgrades?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.