Vietnam Conflict LRRP Impression

Hav0c

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Wanting to put together a LRRP type impression from the Vietnam War era and I have the webbing & boots.

However, I'm uncertain which pattern uniform to go for. Should I go with plain OG Trpicals, ERDL or Tiger Stripe - or possible even mix 2 together like some LRRP's did?

Also, would it be wise to get a helmet or go with just a plain old boonie in either ERDL or TS?

Finally, which weapon should I pledge allegiance to? M16, XM177e2 or CAR-15 (I know CAR's were rare but they were still used)

Thanks a bunch for any input at all.

In my experience the LRRP would normally use something similar to tiger stripe, so I'd stick with that. As for head wear, I'd avoid a helmet as you'd want to be saving weight. Go for the boonie instead.

The rifle is your own preference. A bulk standard M16 would work well but also a Car-15 wouldn't look out of place

hope that helps

Stick to the M16 and boonie like ronin suggested, though a Remington 870 style shotgun (e.g. Maruzen/ACM CA870) wouldn't look out of place if you wanted a shorter weapon for CQB/point man loadouts.

Sidearm could be the venerable 1911 but a privately brought revolver would be period accurate as well.

For camo it's personal preference so long as you stick to at most two of those colours. I'd go for OD boonie hat and shirt with tiger stripe trousers since it looks great (in my opinion) when combined with the webbing. Soldiers in 'Nam often switched kit and clothing around so there's no reason why you couldn't either.

It depends on how authentic you want your loadout, but as long as you stick to the issued webbing, colours and weapons you won't be far off.

If you can afford it, maybe go down a VN war post 1970 marksman route? With an upgraded wooden stocked M14, telescopic sights, full tigerstripe uniform and some ALICE webbing along with a green beret style headdress?

A boonie would no doubt be easier to find and obviously less expensive than a helmet. As for camo I'd imagine Tiger Stripe's your best bet. You wouldn't have to be too specific since as said above, they switched kit around and stuff.

I know not everyone models there loadouts this way, but play some Vietnam War era games and watch films and documentaries.

I am obsessed with the Cold War so I plan to do a Vietnam war era loadout for both sides in the future.

Personally, and OD shirt with Tigerstripe trousers, Tigerstripe boonie with an M16 with a painted green and black tigerstripe pattern B)

There are alternatives, many LRRP members took AK's (well they were more likely Chinese Type 59s) and used a chicom chest rig due to ammo being more readily available and the fact that many early production M16 still had reliability problems, especially in the humid, muddy jungles.

Okken20.JPG

just got my tiger stripe uniform and id vote go for that.

where did u get it from Remus? and is it good quality for a decent price?

expensive(to me ) but it was the pattern i liked and only place i could find my size in stock. quality seems grand, bit smaller than id have thought. i went for the ripstop ones though so should last better...

http://www.military1st.co.uk/clothing-trousers-bdu/?catid=371635&cfSearch1=website_colour&cfvalue1=tiger%20stripe

the problemit seems really is theres not a lot of supply/ not many selling it so not much low priced, probably just as well going for the slightly more expensive stuff, unless your search fun is stronger than mine...

Soldier of Fortune do really good kit at reasonable prices. If you REALLY want to go for the look, this is a great resource:

http://david.brubakers.us/Vietnam/

or

http://www.vietnamgear.com

Pics required, whatever you do!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.