G&G GR16 8.4v or 9.6v

ronin677

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys,

I am fairly new to the whole airsoft scene and have recently bought a second hand G&G GR16. I am really happy with this rifle. However I am about to buy a battery for it.

My question is do I use a 8.4v battery as I suspect is intended or do I use a 9.6v as someone recently recommended. I am concerned that the 9.6v will wear my rifle out quicker.

I am asking here as I am sure some of you will have come across this issue before

many thanks

Jon

All decent airsoft guns can handle 9.6v NiMH batteries stock,even a TM FAMAS from 1990. 9.6 NiMH batteries give much better ROF and trigger response than 8.4v batteries.

Make sure to get a good smart charger as well.

You can also go for a LiFE or Lipo battery,7.4v 25c lipo is ideal,Dualsky is a good brand,you can find them in most RC shops. Make sure to get a smart Lipo balance charger too,and do some research on safe Lipo use as they are not as tolerant to abuse as NiMH batteries but the performance gain is so much worth it.

Similar with LiFE. Most come in 9.9V,bridging the gap between a 7.4v and 11.1v lipo. They are bit more tolerant to abuse but still require a LiFE balance charger . again,make sure discharge rate is 25c or below since above you will need a MOSFET to protect the gun;s electrics for long term use.

Agree with UTJ and Monty. A 7.4V LiPo would be a good option as opposed to a NiMh battery. But if I were to choose between an 8.4 and 9.6V NiMh I would say the 9.6.

It's an 11.1 LiPo you would have to worry about doing damage to your gun. You would require a MOSFET and upgraded gears / motor.

• Supporters

End of the day it all depends on what will fit in there as well

8.4v 9.6v 7.4v LiPo is your 3 best options - but also what size compartment

get a nice size capacity but check very carefully it will fit

don't push it though and get one that is at max size - they can be out in size spec

no point having a brilliant battery if your can't shut the lid up properly

check size - some make of 1600mah are bigger than other makes

and of course in "theory" the 9.6v is gonna be bigger than 8.4v as it has another cell

but then there are medium and LARGE cell sizes too

Oh what fun - so get a tape measure or a digital caliper vernier gauge to measure it

all out what battery you got and what might fit - but don't go too mad like I said

most likely your battery is up the front handguard, or if crane nunchuck stock then choice is a little limited

fit a full size fixed stock and shove a car battery in there - well not quite but you have loads more room

Thanks guys

I am going for a 9.6v to begin with. My battery compartment is in the front hand guard and so i will buy the nunchuck style batteries

thanks again

Jon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.