green gas or Co2?

baptiste121

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi guys..

just wana know the pros and cons of a Co2 sidearm..

now i know that Co2 has more wear on the internals but regular maintenace would solve that right?

most of you will have both most probably so just wana know your experiance..

this could be complete bs but a friend told me green gas is more powerful, more common so more people stock it, easier parts to get, and overall better in that respect. Don't take my word for it though.

this could be complete bs but a friend told me green gas is more powerful, more common so more people stock it, easier parts to get, and overall better in that respect. Don't take my word for it though.

Not more powerful than CO2 though- CO2 operating weapons usually have an extremely high muzzle velocity, meaning they can't be used at sites in some cases; and even if you could somehow regulate the FPS with some sort of valve, sites still wouldn't let you use it, since it's CO2, and there is a large mistrust of CO2 weapons.

TL;DR: CO2 weapons are not trusted by sites because they have a massive muzzle velocity, however they are good for target shooting

my site allows up to 350fps so most Co2 sidearms will be ok..

the only con i can seem to find is its easier to reload your green gas rather then a Co2 bulb..

i know the cold effects green gas performance.. Co2 wont be effected.

You see I'm in a different boat, I much prefer co2, you can get five mags to a bulb, consistent power, not effected by the temp. They are by no means hard to change and give good firepower. My next pistol will definitely be co2.

You see I'm in a different boat, I much prefer co2, you can get five mags to a bulb, consistent power, not effected by the temp. They are by no means hard to change and give good firepower. My next pistol will definitely be co2.

think im sold on the idea of a Co2 pistol.. im not bothered about longer maintenace or the cost diff.. im just looking for perfomance and i think mr monkey nuts just helped big time! cheers dude

• Supporters

If you're going to go CO2, get something that can also take green gas as well.

Like a WE Glock, as an off-the-top-of-my-head example. Guns that are just CO2 tend not to get a lot of parts support, the G&G Extreme 45, those cheap Palco Firepower USP-a-likes; struggling to think of any more lol, but trust me, it's easier to get parts for green gas pistols.

Getting a green gas pistol that can use CO2 is generally the way forward.

Guest PT247

my Co2 pistol puts out over 500fps with the standard shells (Dan Wesson 8"). I have power down shells for it which make it legal but it has no hop currently so even on full power it is unskirmishable (I am going to try and fit a basic hop so it'll lift BBs but the gun is mainly for show until then.

If you're going to go CO2, get something that can also take green gas as well.

Like a WE Glock, as an off-the-top-of-my-head example. Guns that are just CO2 tend not to get a lot of parts support, the G&G Extreme 45, those cheap Palco Firepower USP-a-likes; struggling to think of any more lol, but trust me, it's easier to get parts for green gas pistols.

Getting a green gas pistol that can use CO2 is generally the way forward.

didnt realise that they were implementing both systems..

thats cool to know.

One problem with CO2 I have heard is that occasionally the 1st shot can randomly be significantly higher fps. This is the reason sites don't like it. You can pass chrono and then run around a bit and get 1 shot doing double what you chronoed at. As this is dangerous sites won't take the risk.

For all I know this could be rubbish, but if a site believes it, how can you disprove it?

didnt realise that they were implementing both systems..

thats cool to know.

With the WE guns there's gas and CO2 mags available- you have to change a small part on the gun itself for one which is stronger (comes with the CO2 mags I believe) but it's not a lot of hassle for systems flexibility

CO2 weapons are a lot more fun to shoot in my opinion, so they get my vote. If you want it to skirmish with though I'd get green gas since like Tac said some sites have a blanket ban on them due to their high velocity.

CO2 weapons are a lot more fun to shoot in my opinion, so they get my vote. If you want it to skirmish with though I'd get green gas since like Tac said some sites have a blanket ban on them due to their high velocity.

i better check my local site then before i make a choice..

One problem with CO2 I have heard is that occasionally the 1st shot can randomly be significantly higher fps. This is the reason sites don't like it. You can pass chrono and then run around a bit and get 1 shot doing double what you chronoed at. As this is dangerous sites won't take the risk.

For all I know this could be rubbish, but if a site believes it, how can you disprove it?

i dont understand how the first shot can be higher fps then say the 2nd or 3rd..

the Co2 bulbs have fixed pressure.. if anything it would surley decrease..

and if your argument is true why is this exclusive to Co2? how come it doesnt happen with green gas?

i dont understand how the first shot can be higher fps then say the 2nd or 3rd..

the Co2 bulbs have fixed pressure.. if anything it would surley decrease..

and if your argument is true why is this exclusive to Co2? how come it doesnt happen with green gas?

Pressure cannot be fixed unless you keep a compressor hooked up to the CO2 bulb. The CO2 was compressed into the bulb/canister and sealed upon filling during production. The first release will always be more powerful as the gas disperses for the first time, then the pressure within the bulb decreases as it empties over the next 20 shots or so. This means the FPS reduces as you repeatedly fire.

In fact it does happen with normal gas guns. I've noticed the FPS reducing on my M700 after the 3rd mag on 1 fill of gas

Pressure cannot be fixed unless you keep a compressor hooked up to the CO2 bulb. The CO2 was compressed into the bulb/canister and sealed upon filling during production. The first release will always be more powerful as the gas disperses for the first time, then the pressure within the bulb decreases as it empties over the next 20 shots or so. This means the FPS reduces as you repeatedly fire.

In fact it does happen with normal gas guns. I've noticed the FPS reducing on my M700 after the 3rd mag on 1 fill of gas

ok..

but i still dont understand how the bulb can produce twice as much thrust on the first few shots..

if this is truly the case.. why the hell is Co2 an optional propellant?

When you pressurise a gas, it will reach a maximum pressure for a given temperature and then will form a liquid. The big difference with Co2 is that it doesn't have a liquid state it goes from gas to solid instead, I guess in theory if you shake up a green gas magazine the liquid can slosh about, with a CO2 magazine you have bits of solid CO2 colliding and becoming gas again increasing the pressure?

Pressure will be maintained under normal circumstances as every time you let some gas out, liquid converts to gas to maintain pressure at a constant level as long as you don't shoot so fast that the cooling effect of this process reduces the maximum pressure. Once you have no liquid (solid for CO2) left the pressure will drop.

When you pressurise a gas, it will reach a maximum pressure for a given temperature and then will form a liquid. The big difference with Co2 is that it doesn't have a liquid state it goes from gas to solid instead, I guess in theory if you shake up a green gas magazine the liquid can slosh about, with a CO2 magazine you have bits of solid CO2 colliding and becoming gas again increasing the pressure?

Pressure will be maintained under normal circumstances as every time you let some gas out, liquid converts to gas to maintain pressure at a constant level as long as you don't shoot so fast that the cooling effect of this process reduces the maximum pressure. Once you have no liquid (solid for CO2) left the pressure will drop.

ok.. but surley Co2 can exist as a solid, liquid and a gas.. it all depeneds on temp obviously..

what i wana know is how can it double in velocity?

and if what you say is true... shaking a Co2 fire extinguisher is VERY dangerous.

Nope, CO2 has no liquid state.

• Supporters

Wow - welcome to Airsoft PhD physics & chemistry for trigger happy students

Think many things have a bit ore ooomphhh at first - getting really techy here with the terms...

When Batteries come straight off of charge they often have a bit more voltage in them

for a very short time....

Putting a test meter on a 9.9v life straight after taking it off charge was showing nearer 11v than 10v

But it was steadily decreasing on the meter by 0.01v and seemed to settle at about 10.08v

so then I said forget the observations and poxy study test crap - lets start shooting ffs

Wow - welcome to Airsoft PhD physics & chemistry for trigger happy students

Think many things have a bit ore ooomphhh at first - getting really techy here with the terms...

When Batteries come straight off of charge they often have a bit more voltage in them

for a very short time....

Putting a test meter on a 9.9v life straight after taking it off charge was showing nearer 11v than 10v

But it was steadily decreasing on the meter by 0.01v and seemed to settle at about 10.08v

so then I said forget the observations and poxy study test crap - lets start shooting ffs

electricity is somthing i do understand..

batteries are always over by at least a volt due to DC current volt dropping over longer distances.. granted you may not get this in an aeg where theres probably less then a metre of wiring..

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.