is this me being a perfectionist?

clumpyedge

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Question...

I've seen a few photos from all over of how people like to hold their guns (gun discipline i guess you could put this down to).

More and more im seeing people putting the stock of their gun on top of the shoulder as if to get some sort of view advantage of where their shots are going?

I guess my question is when using your guns do you use it how you would a proper gun or do you just do what feels right at the time/comfortable?

I guess me being a bit pf a perfectionist the butt of my stock 95% of the time locked into my shoulder (when firing)

I don't see why putting a crane stock over your shoulder is standard practice- if you're trying to make the weapon shorter, fair enough; but the whole point of a crane stock is that it's easily adjustable.

Imo, as long as they're safe whilst using them, then I have no problems with how they hold it. I myself control mine as if it were real steel, but i've seen people hipfiring on youtube, and one person even holding their pistol sideways, mafia-style.

It does look a hell of a lot better with people who use their guns properly, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

You have to remember that in the UK not everyone is exposed to firearms and the correct shooting techniques lessons and disciplines. They see see what they see on TV and COD.

Some of us rural inbreeds grew up around weaponry, but for some city folk, airsoft is the first time they have ever been able to hold anything other than a waterpistol.

Given that it annoys me when people hold a Sten gun by the magazine...

Shoot them all!! :angry:

Either they are small kids so that they need the gun closer to them or idiotic people who are pretending to fire an RPG like in COD or something.

And the amount of kids who believe in a "last stand" when they are shot...

...people actually attempt that?

Jesus...

It bloody pisses me off when i see someone hold airsoft guns incorrectly, i know a lot of people cant figure it out somehow. But come on really your gonna put the stock over your shoulder do you think that assault rifle is a law rocket or something lol

Same here. I think this is a myth.

Just read up on a topic about "CODsofters". It's not as rare as you think.

I just hope to hell my ArmA instincts don't take over, and make me act like a tit, shouting "Rifleman, 100 meters, East." every time I see a guy on the other team.

EDIT: Saying this, is there a generally accepted way to talk to and act around others whilst skirmishing without looking like a guy who spends too much of his time on video games?

• Supporters

It bloody pisses me off when i see someone hold airsoft guns incorrectly, i know a lot of people cant figure it out somehow. But come on really your gonna put the stock over your shoulder do you think that assault rifle is a law rocket or something lol

I remember that i is a valid way to hold a long gun in CQB situations if you have to go there with it. I can't remember if it was the AK or the M16 (with full stock), but I definitely saw it taught like that to real soldiers. Searching for photos... :)

I remember that i is a valid way to hold a long gun in CQB situations if you have to go there with it. I can't remember if it was the AK or the M16 (with full stock), but I definitely saw it taught like that to real soldiers. Searching for photos... :)

Its called skeletal support

1.jpg

Canon_EOS_40D-IMG_8876-pp.jpg

Just read up on a topic about "CODsofters". It's not as rare as you think.

I just hope to hell my ArmA instincts don't take over, and make me act like a tit, shouting "Rifleman, 100 meters, East." every time I see a guy on the other team.

EDIT: Saying this, is there a generally accepted way to talk to and act around others whilst skirmishing without looking like a guy who spends too much of his time on video games?

I've got no beef with shouting out like that, at least it's helpful (Unless he's not even East).

Didn't Redwolf post a video at one point about the 'best' way to stand with your weapon?

I've been playing for quite a while all over the country... it's a lot less common than most people seem to think.

People love to bang on the call of duty hate train but in game occurrences are ridiculously rare. I only had one rule bending encounter that was rectified quickly at the old place I used to play.

Battlefield has taken over as top tog over the schildrens it seems so you get less fishy stuff we like to rag on about.

I also have the ArmA senses of calling things out oddly, but I'm trying to get rid of that a bit. It's helpful over crap PMR radio connections however so It comes in handy.

How can you control a weapon when it isn't solid in to your shoulder?

These things are fashions. Someone copies something they have seen because they think it gives some kind of advantage and then next thing you know everyone thinks they should do it not knowing why it was done in the first place.

It happens in Archery all the time. Someone will use variation on their anchor or release and seem to shoot well. Others copy it not knowing why it was done in the first place or even what effect it is supposed to have.

At the moment it is fashionable to let your bow do an exaggerated drop after the release and people are dropping their wrist at the end of the follow through to achieveit. This goes against the basics of form. It is happening with some archers because of their set up and the damper on he end of their long rod pulling the center of gravity of their bow forward and down.

there is no need to drop the wrist to get the bow to drop, there is no advantage to it.

Skeletal support is a legit thing, the idea being that you support the weight of the rifle with your skeleton opposed to muscles which take the gun off target as you fatigue. I've used it with my m14 when taking standing long shots, but I don't see it having an real use in airsoft, guns are usually not too heavy and the ranges we typically work with don't involve a long time aiming.

I think it comes down to people not knowing how to hold guns properly though.When teaching my girlfriend and sister to shoot I've seen them shoot in some hilarious stances!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.