Did I do the right thing?

rusty1109

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If you ran into a room in cqb with a sniper rifle shouting take the hit to anyone inside, you'd get shot and look like a knob.

You would also look like a tool running into a field full of people waving a pistol... But their both entirely different things. The guy had the kit, and the opportunity and the will... He was just sporting and reasonable.

To be in that situation, to say "ooooo, you can't shot me, but I can shoot you, look" after you turned around obviously... Is... Well... I refrain from further comment...

So in this situation you choose either not to engage or engage in a safe way... You could equally "walk up" and just drop it. If you equally had a grenade and walked up to me... Even if you did it by mistake... I'd say I was dead... You had me at your mercy, see...

There's no way you walk up to 12 guys without one of them telling the others! That's my point!

Also you have answered your own statement perfectly! In airsoft the first rule is either engage safely or don't engage at all! It's never worth risking someone else's safety just for the 3 second satisfaction of a score! Bring the right tools for the job to allow you to get the job done.

And yes I've dropped a grenade before and got 'free kills' from it (plus a suiicide) but this still conforms to the rules of the game! The rules keep the game safe and NOT necessarily logical. Take away the safety and we no longer will be allowed this beautiful game. Simples

• Supporters

To be in that situation, to say "ooooo, you can't shot me, but I can shoot you, look" after you turned around obviously... Is... Well... I refrain from further comment...

Yes but the difference is that one person can't shoot due to safety reasons. It's not as simple as I can but you can't.

He was sporting though you're right, for that I commend the guy, he just can't complain that he wasn't prepared for the situation.

We play a shooting game where you should expect to get hit.

It'd be a bit of a tragic game if we simply dropped our guns and just shouted at each other.

In this world of pc and stuff the sniper was ill-equiped,is the sniper obliged to carry a secondary or does it depend on the site?

The bang rule is poor imho,youtube the yanks playing with it..."I banged you",it is on par with blind firing the way they use it..

Anyway if the sniper had any savvy he could've thrown and handful of bb's at the op's back...all this "if you shot me I'd ~~~###@'#" that's worse than what the op did..because was perfectly within the rules to do what he did,but people would advoctae shooting below MED with a 500 fps sniper.. :wacko:

Plus how can the sniper actually be annoyed with the OP playing WITHIN the rules of the game? Doesn't make any sense!

If the sniper gets annoyed and then shoots the OP at close range causing injury then that's an INTENTIONAL injury. You can't then say oh I didn't mean it because what else did you think would possibly happen at 5m with a 550fps gun??? that's no good for EVERYBODY because the media would just love to jump on something like that

Plus anyone who loses they're temper whilst holding an airsoft gun is just a straight liability to the site and the sport itself. Also that person should be concerned that bbs won't hurt enough to stop someone actually dropping they're gun and fighting you. Will you be able to defend yourself? Food for thought lol

Good topic for debate...luckily I've never witnessed a physical assault but if as suggested people retaliated when they felt cheated we'd all be fighting..

...and the outcome is obvious..who would've got the site ban..the op or the sniper shooting below MED @ 500 FPS..

I think we all deal with situations as they arise and luckily we seem able to control our emotions well enough to NOT club the cr@p out of eachother..

Where can I get a £6 rubber knife? Was looking at Cold Steel ones for a tenner but considering the use you get out of the them I'd rather just get a clone / knock off one. If it was me I would have taken the hit, but I suppose it's fair enough if he didn't have a secondary.

cold steel is plastic (or something similar) and not meant for airsoft. not saying you cant use them, but they are a bit more limiting than the rubber ones that are made for airsoft. as to where you can get one for £6.. haven't got a clue.

I would of just waited until you got a bit further away and shot you in the back, or if that's not an option just let you pass when you play as a sniper and you find a good position you keep it, you dont shout player hit and give away where you are better just to wait for the next target.

• Supporters

And after this happened as it happened, I bet if the sniper is in a similar situation, he would wait for the exact MED and shoot where the sun don't shine. He would be within the rules.

I love seeing threads like this. People being genuinely honourable in this our game of honour. I personally don't put much stead in the bang kill rule, I think it's a cop-out and I'd rather everyone be prepared to take a few nasty dings every now and again; especially when AEG FPS limits and general safety rules mean you should be adequately protected from lasting harm anyway.

On the one hand you probably should have taken the hit to be truly sporting - as people have said, if he totally had you then it was his good courtesy that got him killed, which sucks for him.. BUT:

Snipers have MEDs. Even on a no-bang-kill site, airsoft snipers don't get the luxury of playing doctor ('Injecting' you). If the man plays sniper - and clearly knows his MEDS hence this situation - then he should also know he needs a pistol or such for CQC work. What happened here is a learning experience for him, he likely has gone from thinking 'I might need a secondary at some point', to KNOWING 'if I had a secondary, I wouldn't have died there.'

You are likely the catalyst for his becoming a better player. Maybe next time he'll pistol you and you'll never get the chance to wonder this.

I love seeing threads like this. People being genuinely honourable in this our game of honour. I personally don't put much stead in the bang kill rule, I think it's a cop-out and I'd rather everyone be prepared to take a few nasty dings every now and again; especially when AEG FPS limits and general safety rules mean you should be adequately protected from lasting harm anyway.

On the one hand you probably should have taken the hit to be truly sporting - as people have said, if he totally had you then it was his good courtesy that got him killed, which sucks for him.. BUT:

Snipers have MEDs. Even on a no-bang-kill site, airsoft snipers don't get the luxury of playing doctor ('Injecting' you). If the man plays sniper - and clearly knows his MEDS hence this situation - then he should also know he needs a pistol or such for CQC work. What happened here is a learning experience for him, he likely has gone from thinking 'I might need a secondary at some point', to KNOWING 'if I had a secondary, I wouldn't have died there.'

You are likely the catalyst for his becoming a better player. Maybe next time he'll pistol you and you'll never get the chance to wonder this.

Or he thought "sod this med stuff... I tried being reasonable and look where that got me..." and the next guy gets a close shot.

The "not taking the hit" is debatable... But the "that doesn't count, this does. Click" is a bit of a dick move... I can be convinced that "not taking that without a sidearm" is possibly reasonable... Although if you want a mele weapon, the guy had a sniper rifle shaped club... But to call technicality, then fire back... What are we? 8 years old? Our site were not meant to fire below a few m with pistols, or rifles... If someone puts one to my chest and calls it... That was inside the med... Do I refuse to take it? No... Cus he had me.

I had one last time... Guy got around the corner to me on a building exterior, put his pistol, blind, Round the corner... And called it. Below med AND blind firing? But he had me... Take the hit! He could have, just as easily, stepped out 1 meter and shot me in the face.

So basically sportsmanship wise I should have taken the hit, I would agree with that in principle.

However I'm always uneasy about taking any hit unless the opponent has actually hit me, you only have to watch this video from 1:06 to see why:

The possibility of getting the dead mans click or missing is always there.

Also I would say that if you want an extra 150 fps or so then you should be aware that when entering dense cover you're probably not going to be able to deal with a situation like the one we found ourselves in unless you have a secondary..... fair trade in my books.

I wonder what peoples thoughts are on a situation where a sniper with his rifle up and no secondary or with his secondary stowed and a non sniper meet round a corner, usually you'd probably both fire and take a hit but what about in this situation only one player can fire legally?

I would never ask a sniper who I had the drop on but who was just beyond the edge of my non sniper weapon range to take a hit, I would have to advance on him further and risk being spotted / heard.

• Supporters

You are alright in my book

sniper could have done many things or nothing and still been alive

you feel a little uneasy about this situation but we all have to make instant decisions

even the most honest players may have failed to call a soft hit from enemy crap gun

as they sprint through shrubs etc... - feeling bushes and branches but not always a

light tap from a bb whilst doing so

I said about sniper could of shot from a "safer" range near the end of MED as we all know

in real life in the heat of moment all of us have fired at closer distance than we should of

$hit happens - and it wrong to say this should of happened or that - in a split second

we have to make a decision - if we call a hit we can't think ergh no wait that might be a rebound shot

I know in paintball I called myself out a few times and saw no proper mark on me - could that be a drop

from paintball hitting wall - too late I called it

I know hand on heart I have not always called a hit - I looked round and didn't see anyone at first

then they yell at me - ok soz good shot but I do try my best to play fair

Bet next week the boot is on the other foot and you end up in a similar situation - it happens

You both have some integrity - he took hit and you feel a little uneasy

more players like you two is what sport needs

Bet you next time he will just shoot you in the ar$e at 25m though

Personally I would have taken it. The whole reason I got into airsoft rather than paintball is the realisim. Realistic weapons, realistic scenarios, the gear and tactics we try to emulate. In real life guns don't run on batteries or vent gas when it's cold :)

I know other people play for different reasons so really both sides have a point.

Personally I would have taken it. The whole reason I got into airsoft rather than paintball is the realisim. Realistic weapons, realistic scenarios, the gear and tactics we try to emulate. In real life guns don't run on batteries or vent gas when it's cold :)

So much this, more on a general point

Haha very true NH Shooter! I suppose he could go both ways! Though the fact he took the hit from Rusty's reaction suggests he has at least a grain of honour in him. To walk away without challenging the play speaks of a calm mature player, too - I would certainly have voiced complaint to Rusty before going to respawn, myself!

Besides, ignoring MEDs is a pretty big infraction - hopefully if he does elect to go that way he'll be reprimanded or worse for the irresponsible play.

While I certainly agree that the realism aspect provides the lion's share of Airsoft's drawing power (particularly over it's p-word competitor), I think we can all be guilty from time to time of using 'but realism' as a catch-all reason/excuse/stance. For example some players carry a knife for melee kills, whereas others just close the distance and place a hand on the victim claiming 'knife!'. Not taking the kill because 'you don't have a knife' would be extremely petty, right? I've had guys hating on me for the way I use my P90, and true enough the 5.7 round just wouldn't do the distance job that my airsoft gat is pretending it would, but I love my gun and play how I play!

Ultimately I absolutely do not disagree with the general consensus that taking the hit would probably have been the more "right" move, but I'm coming more from a sportsmanship/gameplay angle than a realism one. We're all just playing soldiers and no doubt for wildly different reasons - 'codsofters' vs milsimmers vs your average skirmisher-for-fun, even grandpa reliving the glory days romping with the young guns - so whatever needs to be the rule in order to foster fair, balanced gameplay, so be it!

I'm acutely aware that this is something of a thread-jack attempt, so feel free to ignore it but on a similar note I'd be interested to hear some opinions: I once bangkilled a guy who refused to take the hit because my gun was jammed. It was, and the whole field knew it (I had no replacement so I spent the day being a dumbass trying to get into bang range) so he just ignored me and carried on. I took my hit and walked, no hassle, but on the gameplay-vs-realism scale where do you guys land on that one?

I guess in theory it opens the door for people to bangkill without magazines loaded or the like, but without an alternate weapon my only options were to operate how I did or simply sit out.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.