Did I do the right thing?

rusty1109

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I equally don't like the bang rule leads to arguments and is often used in stupid situations

You were under no obligation to take the hit and so under the rules you were well within your right to do what you did, but it wasn't the sporting option and this sport is entirely based on good sportsmanship

• Supporters

OK my final final say....

sniper = dumb a$$ - he saw you and what he SHOULD of done:

let you pass, and when you was kind of near the distance THEN shot the hell out of you

I mean if you was say 5m - no shot but track you and at say close to 25m then take a shot maybe

(can't tell me every sniper triple checks each target is at the correct distance when they pull trigger)

sniper made mistakes and like all mistakes he will learn from this possible easy kill he had on you

I think you're being a bit harsh on the guy, he did try and do the right thing and took the hit from the OP without question immediately.

Yes he should have had a secondary but equally he could have shot and claimed his sniper was only 350fps and to a plate carrier/rig your not going to notice enough to complain.

If anything his mistake was having faith in the fact good sportsman ship would be reciprocated, which is a stretch granted in a combat game

So was OP right?

'legally' yes

'morally' no

However, the former is the one that actually matters in reality

Don't like bang rule - we are using bb's and is a combat sport ffs

Spot on geezer

Spent hundreds on gear and guns, spent an hour getting it prepped indoors, 2 hours driving to venue, 30 mins getting ready, 45 second sneaking up on someone JUST TO SHOUT BANG!!! Oh hell no! You must be kidding me!

Not in comment on OP:

I never been unhappy that someone bang killed me. Bang "rule" really is just about decency. So if someone is in a situation where he clearly would be able to hit you (for example he is 3 meter being you, unnoticed by you, with an AEG aimed at you), he chooses to be decent and not afflict you unnecessary pain. Then surely you want to punish him for his kindness, rather show that you are also decent?

A friend once used it inappropriate on me (face-to-face cqb). This was the first time he played however. I can't remember if I took the hit or not. But I did explain to him afterwards why it was inappropriate, and he was cool with that.

Inflict unnecessary pain...... Really....

I was under impression that going to an airsoft skirmish meant getting licked every now and then. Next time I don't feel like getting hit I might just play with water pistols instead! Lolololol

• Supporters

OK this is my final say and just repeating the final quote:

sniper should of tracked the guy and took shot nearer range

he chose to snipe so should " try " and stick to the sniper guidelines

maybe they both could of said ok we both dead but sniper could have got kill and still been alive

sniper made the most mistakes - the OP did not but was fornuate that sniper played within rules

I'm sure many people have been hit at half the sniper distance

Like when you on full auto and enemy jumps out at you - do we always say:

Hang on a sec m8 - I'm still on auto lmk switch to semi

or times when your gun starts to shott 2 or 3 bb's burst on semi and you haven't got mosfet in there

sniper should have tracked op and got a "safe" or "safer" kill near the enagagment limit

if op dissappeared behind cover before he can take shot - $hit happens

no more OP did nothing wrong - sniper made mistakes in my book but played fair

so credit to sniper for that - just next time he won't break cover to say bang with no secondary etc...

Inflict unnecessary pain...... Really....

I was under impression that going to an airsoft skirmish meant getting licked every now and then. Next time I don't feel like getting hit I might just play with water pistols instead! Lolololol

no. afraid you're wrong there. If I wanted to cause you pain, shooting you with plastic bullets at one joule would not be my first choice. It is however a necessary part of the sport. I've participated in pain games, but only with other people who like me are dumb enough to to participate.

You're gonna be locked up in prison and fed bread for the rest of your life for what you did.

You're fine mate.

Had to read that twice, must be really tired. I thought it said breast fed!

Personally... If I had a reasonable shot, but didn't take it to preserve your safety... And you then turned around and shot me as a thank you... I'd 500fps you in the crotch. Twice. Bang rule or not... The dude got the drop on you.

... Take your hit...

Whilst I see your point and understand it, you are forgetting one vital point! The sniper DID NOT get the drop on the OP. If anything they both were not aware where eachother was until the sniper realised and it was too late as he was too close. If the sniper had snuck up on the OP he would have shot him as soon as he was in range. The fact he was too close proves that the OP being there was a suprise. Now when you look at it this way it's not as if the sniper really early a hardened stealth kill. He just realised last minute dot com and realised he didn't have a legal weapon to get the job done according to rules.

I think it should be clear the sniper didn't say bang, he said "Player take a hit" which is basically a short way of saying "your in my sights do you want to be sporting and accept a hit without me actually having to hurt you" a perfectly reasonable thing to do and something I've done to people when I've had the drop on them with things like "do you want to take that" and them normally looking around and thinking he's gotten the better of me here yes I will and being sporting and civil about it and take the hit.

However, there is no obligation to play that, if any of those people has made a move for a weapon they'd have gotten a couple of shot for their troubles, probably in not the most sympathetic places either. I also do it from a good couple of meters away so they cant do the thing black death says he does.

Sitting Duck you seem to be implying the sniper should have taken a shot from within the MED with "try" and "safer". The sniper did the most reasonable thing he could have done in that situation while trying to take the kill.. it is incredibly hard to follow someone or track them without them realising you're there especially in woodland.. he would only have gotten a couple steps before the OP realised he was there

And the analogy to the full auto and guy jumping out is more what the OP did, he stopped thought, hmm this isn't in the MED so I don't technically have to take this and then challenged the sniper. He was in his rights to do so but still not a sporting move

Actually Black Death from rereading the post the sniper did have the drop on him the OP said he heard him say "player take your hit" behind him to turn around and see a sniper pointed at him... definitely sounds like the sniper had the better of him

Whilst I see your point and understand it, you are forgetting one vital point! The sniper DID NOT get the drop on the OP. If anything they both were not aware where eachother was until the sniper realised and it was too late as he was too close. If the sniper had snuck up on the OP he would have shot him as soon as he was in range. The fact he was too close proves that the OP being there was a suprise. Now when you look at it this way it's not as if the sniper really early a hardened stealth kill. He just realised last minute dot com and realised he didn't have a legal weapon to get the job done according to rules.

Very good point. are you sure about this? I am a dyslexic and might have missed something, but this could potentially make the difference between if it was wrong or not.

Personally, if it were me, I'd have taken the hit. He saw and 'bang'ed the OP because the OP didn't check his surroundings. Fair play in my book.

The dude was behind him, weapon aimed, with enough time to make a decision and call out... Whether he got there on purpose or by accident makes no difference. He did the reasonable thing and then got shot for it... I don't think that's on at all... I think its a pretty off call...

The med is there as a safety feature, not an excuse to dodge hits... The op was in another guys sights. You're either hit via a bb or a statement... But you're definitely hit...

First things first lets just determine the phrase 'drop on someone'. If 2 people are in a thick woods unaware of each other's presense at say 10m and then one of them makes a small noise alerting the other to his position THIS IS NOT getting the drop on someone. It's called getting lucky!

If you track a man down based on recent change to bush/foliage and you even throw a twig in another direction to get him to face the wrong way then THIS IS getting the drop on someone. Skilled military guys will tell you about this stuff. Personally I'm rubbish at it as I make more noise than an athsmatic rapist but if done well (especially as a sniper) most people don't see you the entire day and have no idea where the shots are coming from.

Let's not confuse fluke/luck with skills/getting the drop on someone.

Played against a guy (ex military) couple of weeks ago. I never saw him during gameplay and only saw him in the safe zone. He managed to shoot me in the mouth and I swallowed the bb. My hat went off to him and I specifically found him to shake his hand as I had respect for his skill level. Forget your mega tuned systemas... This guy was a f*cking marvel

The dude was behind him, weapon aimed, with enough time to make a decision and call out... Whether he got there on purpose or by accident makes no difference. He did the reasonable thing and then got shot for it... I don't think that's on at all... I think its a pretty off call...

The med is there as a safety feature, not an excuse to dodge hits... The op was in another guys sights. You're either hit via a bb or a statement... But you're definitely hit...

Based in this theory.... I could walk up to a 12 man strong cluster waving my oshiboom in the air saying your all dead. Now safety dictates I don't throw my oshi as if it hits you in the head you'll be in a coma. I could spend £3 on a soft disposable but I chose not to (just like the sniper didn't bring a secondary).

Do you see where I'm going with this... We all know the rules of airsoft and how to play but people sometimes think 'outside' of this which only complicates situations. Don't apply your own logic, don't apply real steel logic. We all get the same briefing so if we stick to them rules there's no confusion

First things first lets just determine the phrase 'drop on someone'. If 2 people are in a thick woods unaware of each other's presense at say 10m and then one of them makes a small noise alerting the other to his position THIS IS NOT getting the drop on someone. It's called getting lucky!

If you track a man down based on recent change to bush/foliage and you even throw a twig in another direction to get him to have the wrong way then THIS IS getting the drop on someone. Skilled military guys will tell you about this stuff. Personally I'm rubbish at it as I make more noise than an athsmatic rapist but if done well (especially as a sniper) most people don't see you the entire day and have no idea where the shots are coming from.

Let's not confuse fluke/luck with skills/getting the drop on someone.

Played against a guy (ex military) couple of weeks ago. I never saw him during gameplay and only saw him in the safe zone. He managed to shoot me in the mouth and I swallowed the bb. My hat went off to him and I specifically found him to shake his hand as I hide respect for his skill level. Forget your mega tuned systemas... This guy was a f*cking marvel

Well... I'm not sure I can agree that levelling your rifle, making a call, and deliberately calling out is "making a small noise"... But it really couldn't matter less, could it...

The situation was that 2 people, for whatever reason, we're in the same vicinity. 1of them had their rifle pointed at the others back, and the other is entirely unaware.... Until he gets deliberately shouted at by the guy carefully aiming at his spine...

Whatever terminology you want to use... One of those people was distinctly at the others mercy.

Get the drop on someone simply means you have them in your sights at close range 10m and under and they are unaware of your presence, if you didn't mean to come across them but they are still unaware of you while your sighted on them then you're just more aware then they are you've got the drop on them

• Supporters

The thing is though, you wouldn't turn up to airsoft with a watergun, if you don't have the right equipment then you can't expect to be as successful as someone who does.

I don't think it's unsporting, if he had an MED he could've just moved to a more suitable position to shoot from. It's just like the bang rule, it's a situation that will cause arguments, best way of avoiding it to have the right equipment and shoot the player in the back of the vest or somewhere that won't hurt.

If you ran into a room in cqb with a sniper rifle shouting take the hit to anyone inside, you'd get shot and look like a knob.

Based in this theory.... I could walk up to a 12 man strong cluster waving my oshiboom in the air saying your all dead. Now safety dictates I don't throw my oshi as if it hits you in the head you'll be in a coma. I could spend £3 on a soft disposable but I chose not to (just like the sniper didn't bring a secondary).

Do you see where I'm going with this... We all know the rules of airsoft and how to play but people sometimes think 'outside' of this which only complicates situations. Don't apply your own logic, don't apply real steel logic. We all get the same briefing so if we stick to them rules there's no confusion

So in this situation you choose either not to engage or engage in a safe way... You could equally "walk up" and just drop it. If you equally had a grenade and walked up to me... Even if you did it by mistake... I'd say I was dead... You had me at your mercy, see...

So your saying if I literally walk across your red dot when you had no idea I was there, that makes you more aware than me? Lolololol

I think luck may have a small part to play.

I was merely identifying that some experienced players quite literally HUNT opposition whereas the rest of us just find people! There's a big difference

The thing is though, you wouldn't turn up to airsoft with a watergun, if you don't have the right equipment then you can't expect to be as successful as someone who does.

I don't think it's unsporting, if he had an MED he could've just moved to a more suitable position to shoot from. It's just like the bang rule, it's a situation that will cause arguments, best way of avoiding it to have the right equipment and shoot the player in the back of the vest or somewhere that won't hurt.

If you ran into a room in cqb with a sniper rifle shouting take the hit to anyone inside, you'd get shot and look like a knob.

nailonthehead.jpg

• Supporters

Sitting Duck you seem to be implying the sniper should have taken a shot from within the MED with "try" and "safer". The sniper did the most reasonable thing he could have done in that situation while trying to take the kill.. it is incredibly hard to follow someone or track them without them realising you're there especially in woodland.. he would only have gotten a couple steps before the OP realised he was there

And the analogy to the full auto and guy jumping out is more what the OP did, he stopped thought, hmm this isn't in the MED so I don't technically have to take this and then challenged the sniper. He was in his rights to do so but still not a sporting move

I was being honest and playing in a real airsoft field - and like I said you can't tell me every sniper shot is the correct side of the range

and listing other examples - the shot will hurst less as range increases

But we will never know how hidden the sniper's original position was and for how far he could of tracked him for

nor will we know if sniper was 360fps of 480fps

But the sniper COULD have done numerous things and NOT broke cover

Have said numerous times fair play to sniper for taking hit and also maybe sniper played the wrong move

BUT - above all else I give credit to OP - he feels it maybe a too easy kill, maybe they should of both took hits

BUT the OP came on here and opened up up about and maybe it wasn't a great kill feeling or whatever

BUT - last but I think, I congratulate both sniper for taking hit & OP for having being honest to admit to this easy kill

many people would of just said - tough $hit and not given it a second thought

Sniper could of done nothing, carried pistol, took a shot at a further range - loads of options

he broke cover - c'mon most people only take hits when they are just that and if they don't you full auto them until they do

2 players and think they both did well like I said - this stuff happens all the time as long as it wasn't a massive turning point inthe game

BIG DEAL - it happened, world cup soon - you gonna tell me every goal is gonna be onside or no hand of god again or no diving

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.