Did I do the right thing?

rusty1109

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

For example some players carry a knife for melee kills, whereas others just close the distance and place a hand on the victim claiming 'knife!'. Not taking the kill because 'you don't have a knife' would be extremely petty, right?

Interesting point here.. the question is really where do you draw the line..

Now a lot of the time a tap on the shoulder is allowed as you have a gun so its a nicer way of not hitting people but I've entered rooms and been able to shoot with one have on the rifle while I take the other and "knife kill" a guy. no in reality unless I was holding a knife on my handguard there is no way I could have achieved that kill but under airsoft its perfectly okay.

I think a lot depends on the site and what kind of people usually play at the site. If its one where theres usually a lot of new players then a tap on the shoulder is fine but at sites who play a bit more seriously and certainly milsims only knives should be allowed to take knife kills

On your last point I can sympathise with guns going half way through games and then not being able to do a lot. If I were you I would have tried to knife people but obviously thats more difficult. I normally take the realism route of it but still recognising the fact airsoft guns are far more unpredictable than real guns, if for the MED situation I would take it, but if someones mag is out of their gun then I wouldn't

I've had guys hating on me for the way I use my P90, and true enough the 5.7 round just wouldn't do the distance job that my airsoft gat is pretending it would, but I love my gun and play how I play!

What?

Hahaha when I read it back I guaranteed myself someone would jump on that. Scale up the distances, factor in real rounds. Get properly 'Real'

I mean in reality a warfighter in a marksman role would not select a P90 as a sniper weapon. The weapon - and the round it was designed to fire, which of course came first - is for personal defence, for vehicle crew and artillery operators (the round also has many characteristics which make it wonderful for wetworks/special forces, as I understand it). If we're talking realism to the nth degree, I get why a guy who's forcing himself to carry a four-foot sniper weapon is pissed that I'm getting the same range and role out of a weapon no longer than my forearm (though folk tend to just complain that she's ugly! :P. ) which would be, in reality, throwing nerf darts at that distance in comparison to the larger, heaver or more range-oriented rounds you would generally feed a sniper weapon. In that light, I have an 'unrealistic advantage' over someone just because he likes how it feels to carry a bigger more realistically-utilised weapon.

So re: what? It was a reinforcement to the point I was making in my original post. Some aspects of airsoft put us in the uncomfortable position of choosing between realism and better gameplay. I tend to err towards gameplay, at least in your average skirmish environment, for accessibility's sake. The obvious exception being the unsafe, like firing a high-fps gat under MEDs.

ok black death what would you do it i came up behind you without you noticing and tapped you on the shoulder with a pistol as said "bang you're dead"

It hardly varies much from site to site a full auto limit of 328-350fps is the norm and there no site which allows snipers to go over 500fps. There is some degree of change with DMRs usually going from 420-450 and MEDs are normally 20-30m so actually there is a lot of consensus on the issue in the UK.

You'll find site which tend to attract a younger or less experienced crowd err more on the side of caution than those who attract more established players

ok black death what would you do it i came up behind you without you noticing and tapped you on the shoulder with a pistol as said "bang you're dead"

I would turn around and tell you to shoot me in the chest point blank! Ask anyone who has played with me and they will tell you I'm there to be hit. Don't rob yourself of a hit to please me as I really don't mind being shot point blank on purpose (as long as it's not intentionally in the face/neck). If it's a sniper rifle doing crazy fps then I won't take the hit and I will stab/shoot you under MED rules. If you do shoot me within MED rules then I will go straight to a Marshall FOR YOUR OWN Safety not mine lol

i treat the bang rule as if im giving the person a chance to surrender, but that they are potentially going to react and try to refuse it, i always keep the target in my sights ready to shoot if they start to move. and vise versa i will only take it if i cant see a way around getting hit. iv had someone run through i room i was hiding in with me watching where they came from, them pointing the gun at the opposite corner to the one i was in and them try to shout bang. course i shot them and didn't take the bang. thankfully we dont have that awful sniper rule. but i have to wonder why the sniper was advancing through a hostile area without a capable weapon for short range, who does that? pretty sure thats not part of the role...

ok then if we adopt that philosophy to pointblank 500fps sniper rifle would you rather be shot point blank or take the hit after making physical contact against your shoulder with the muzzle?

• Supporters

Neither, I'd rather the person brought along a suitable gun. If someone turns up with a double eagle gun we don't allow them to bang kill people outside of their 10m range. Why should this be so different.

It was courteous of the guy for sure but if the bang kill rule wasn't in effect then he can hardly complain.

He new about the MED rule and yet still chose not to carry something suitable for inside it.

Simple. Respect the MED and only bang kill if the rule is in play, if not be courteous by all means and offer a painless kill but be prepared to shoot if needed. That's how pretty much every site I've been to does it and it saves arguments. You can't complain if no rule was broken.

• Supporters

sorry but the guy he comes up behind Black Death "taps him on shoulder"....... - never mind bang your dead

that to me is knife kill in effect - CONTACT WAS MADE !!!

to me in my book Black Death is brown bread - don't matter in my book knife hand dildo or BB - contact was made

The post itself iself is going on about just saying from distance BANG and NO CONTACT - that is what I say no kill

Black Death may prefer to shot but me myself would accept that kill by tap on shoulder

the only problem is if in heat of them moment would being pumped up etc... would I calmly accept it immediately

hopefully but like I have said in the heat of battle we all may not always 101% do the right thing straight away

we can only try to play fair

BTW - you either have to be really brave or really stupid to try & sneak up on Black Death for a Bang or Melee kill

Personally I would fire a shot or two & RUN - coz I ain't hanging around if I miss

ALSO this all depends how close the sniper was to the OP as it's safe to say within 2 meter I'd have called that a definite hit

He was perhaps 10 m away as I recall not that it matters.

If he had made physical contact then I would have taken a knife kill no question.

then you're fine as your outside what i call the "awww shit" zone

i dont know, im not sure black death might notice being shot... lol. i have ran past people before and shot em in the back from a few meters and ran on got killed later on and whilst walking back had to tell the guy id shot him as his didnt notice...(apparently) only really happens when im in enemy lines though...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.