Did I do the right thing?

rusty1109

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Going to take some flak for this I suspect but here we go anyway!

During a game recently I was making my way through some dense head height cover and had been for some time when I heard someone behind me say words to the effect of "Player take a hit".

I turn and see someone pointing a sniper rifle at me who has just entered the cover and come across me suddenly well within the minimum engagement distance.

I asked if he had hit me and he said that he couldn't fire because he was too close.

So I fired a single shot on semi into his chest, to his credit he immediately called hit but said that I should've taken my hit, to which I replied that he should have engaged with his alternate weapon, he then said he didn't have one a little sheepishly and walked off.

It was a large event so I didn't see him again unfortunately.

Basically im after thoughts on how I handled the situation, with hindsight I basically think that:

A) he did have me to rights so I should've taken a hit..... but,

B) he chose to play as a sniper and one of the things you give up in return for extra fps is the ability to engage in that situation, if you still want to then you carry a secondary end of.

I should say that if he had tried to get close enough for a knife kill, with rubber knife or pat on back then I would happily have taken a hit, but he chose not to risk doing that.

What do we reckon, what would you have done?

I'd ask your site about the bang rule.

Basically very few, but some, sites will let snipers just say bang within min engagement/a few metres. The woodland site I go to doesn't because who's to say they will actually hit you at that range anyway? So just shouting BANG is gay.

Imo you did nothing wrong mate.

If he can't engage because he doesn't have the correct equipment then that's his problem. Sounds like he was trying to use the power of his voice to get a hit.

You're in the right IMO. I play the sniper role ( Though a fair bit differently than some :D ) but in Ireland we all have guns firing under 1J so we don;t have MEDs,just a semi only rule for CQC.

He should have had an alternate weapon since he had an MED. Going by his logic at that moment everyone who goes past him lower than his MED and does not notice him should take the hit, which sounds silly.

If he didn't want an MED he should probably be using a scout bolt action rifle with a lower velocity or something.

Personally If I was the sniper I would have fired to a spot where it would hurt less (Boot or webbing) and apologized if it was painful,'Adrenaline got the best of me' if you will and then retreat to a safe MED.Then get me a TM Mk23 for closeup shots and not being a prick.

I'd take it as in real life if some one has a sniper it doesn't matter how close you are, if they're going to shoot you they'll shoot you, that said this is airsoft and i think minimum engagement distance is BS anyway.

• Supporters

Hmmmm - he should kept his mouth shut in the end I suppose

If you had not have shot him - one of your team mates would of

Fair play to bloke knowing engagement distance etc...

But should of kep down, alerted one of his team or just stayed in cover mouth shut

shouting out has just blown his cover so even if he shot you at close range his position was given maybe

so he has learnt today:

keep mouth shut

keep hidden

carry secondary if sniping

Understand also it was a too easy kill and in real life he would of just blown ya brains out

but every game has moments like this - was it a direct hit, rebound, did that $hit respawn off a dead team mate

Oi we shot each other - so you must be dead too....

you can't put head through gap but can be shot through it - just don't get that one sometimes ??

and probably dozens more examples we could all list

Think credit to both of ya - him for taking hit & you for feeling a little uneasy about the kill

$hit happens - but wish more people would play fair coz it is only a game ffs

Personally, I think you were in the right. If he was inside the MED, then he should have either switched to another less powerful weapon (which he didn't have) or signaled for another of his team to engage you.

However, you don't say how close he was. Some games have a surrender rule if players engage at very close range. If he was only a metre or two away and couldn't miss, then it could be debated. However, he didn't say surrender.

I would have taken the hit and headed off to spawn. I can understand why you did what you did but I would consider he had me fair and square and I would rather he learn the lesson to use bang than try and shoot "accidentally" under the minimum range with a 500 fps weapon. He should have a secondary for those circumstances but depending on the bang I would take the bang. I am not going to take a bang at 30m, that isn't going to happen but at 5m I definitely would.

If h was close and had me cold I would have taken the hit. Sites that I play at use the 'bang' rule. If you have someone cold at close range you can choose to 'Bang' them instead of shooting. But, the target always has the option to ignore it and shoot you anyway.

There is nothing wrong with the way you did things. I however would have taken the hit as a sniper rifle would have killed you IRL.

Guy needs to buy a £6 rubber knife or a £15 springer pistol lol

You did nothing wrong in my opinion.

Snipers appreciate the minimum engagement rule especially as it's based on safety reasons. If they shoot too close that's cause for getting kicked off site! It's just plain dangerous especially when you consider the vast majority (almost all) standard eye pro isn't rated to 500fps at close range!

Bearing that in mind, if he shot me with a pistol which malfunctioned I'd politely ask him to show me the mag. If it has BBs and gas if put the lack of shot down to malfunction outside his control and assume he wouldn't miss a target my size from 5m. I've done this before as i feel it's in the spirit of the game. but not carrying a knife or pistol as a sniper is your choice. Your fair game

As for bang rule it's so so sooooooo weak! It's actually counterproductive to the sport. It's anti-combat! I can understand it for under 18s games but for the rest of us it's like 'touch rugby' which makes my blood boil.

The way I see it is that if a guy is smart enough and stealthy enough to get behind me then he has every right to shoot me cold in the back assassination style. As long as he's not too spiteful and shoots me in the back of the head/neck it's all good. Between the shoulder blades is polite or the bum cheeks are good for extra humiliation lol.

I deliberately keep my knife on my left leg because of the bang rule! Why I hear you ask? Well if you shout bang at my back my right hand raises my rifle as if in a passive fashion. Now at this point I don't shout hit but because I appear slumped and my gun raises you assume I'm pussying out! As your eyes fixate in the rifle my left hand stabs behind me and you are now in fact DEAD! Sneaky yes but deffo a lesson learned! If you get a chance to kill me... Please do!

Cause a 500 FPS shot to the face at 10m tickles.

not what i said, what i mean is take it or get 500FPS to the face your choice

I personally would have taken the hit from him he clearly would have had you if not for the minimum engagement distance as you said he had you dead to rights but I understand why you did what you did its a courtesy thing you didn't have to take the hit unless at your field its mandatory.

As far as the rules go you were in your right but to be honest, depending on how close you were its a bit of a dick move.

If you were 20m or so away then yes there's no guarantee he would have hit you but under 5 or even under 10 with you completely unaware and no cover he had you lined up then you should have done the sportsman's thing and taken the hit as in real life you'd have been dead without the MED rule and he was kind enough to not break that rule.

I don't agree with the bang rule but I agree with sportsmanship and offering someone the chance to surrender is a sporting thing to do and should be taken as such. Again its situation dependent, from the sounds of it he was close and had you not in cover and completely unaware so you should have taken it

• Supporters

Let us get one thing clear

The reason why the sniper can have 450-500fps sniper is because:

Single shot AND min engage distance

otherwise lets just go nuts with 450+ fully auto at point blank range - screw the chrono and call an ambulance now

There are rules - some are common sense some don't make much sense

and times when people don't always play by them

BUT there are rules and guidelines which are stated at the start - don't like them don't play

Sniper must be thinking I should of had secondary or crap I was I brought my AEG instead of this

But think it was fair play and nothing really bad - just $hit happens & move on

I mean in real life If I got shot in my little toe with a £10 springer pistol - don't think I would be fatally wounded

but a hit is a hit so to speak so we play and abide by rules - silly or not

I don't think anyone can criticise the sniper really as he was good about taking the hit afterwards, many people would not have been

Yes it was in the rules of the game that you could turn around and shoot him but I wouldn't say it was a sporting move. Places I say that if someone has the drop on you and asks you to surrender its not mandatory (you can turn and shoot) but A. prepare to get laced (assuming its not a sniper) and B. don't be a dick, he's worked for the kill and you only know he's there because he was kind enough not to shoot you and all you have to do is go and respawn

Technically, he could easily have made his hand into a pistol and said bang. So since you're asking: I think you did wrong, and that it was a pretty indecent move. On top of that "when in doubt - take the hit".

Really you should consider yourself lucky he didn't shot you after that. I wouldn't but I wouldn't blame him if he did either. Personally if I was the sniper I would at least insist on your taking your hit.

However, we're only human and should not haste to judge.

Let us get one thing clear

The reason why the sniper can have 450-500fps sniper is because:

Single shot AND min engage distance

otherwise lets just go nuts with 450+ fully auto at point blank range - screw the chrono and call an ambulance now

There are rules - some are common sense some don't make much sense

and times when people don't always play by them

BUT there are rules and guidelines which are stated at the start - don't like them don't play

Sniper must be thinking I should of had secondary or crap I was I brought my AEG instead of this

But think it was fair play and nothing really bad - just $hit happens & move on

I mean in real life If I got shot in my little toe with a £10 springer pistol - don't think I would be fatally wounded

but a hit is a hit so to speak so we play and abide by rules - silly or not

I completely agree with you bro! You hit the nail on the head!

The other relative thing is that to make airsoft interesting, we use different guns in different ways to balance things out! Imagine a full auto pistol with a drum mag that held 500 rounds? You'd have the firepower of an aeg but in a small package! Or as you said imagine a full auto barett at 550fps! These are just trolling weapons lol. We have to retard some guns not only for safety but to keep the game fair and balanced! If you have a long range weapon then stick to shooting at long range. It's not rocket science! Otherwise someone would develop a 450fps accurate to 60m 1911 and sniper rifles could go in the bin.

• Supporters

He didn't shoot you. Not because sniper weapons can't hit you that close, but because he was minding your safety. It's only fair to respect not only this, but that he was better than you and he got you by surprise.

And yes, he should have had a secondary.

• Supporters

Assuming the site has no bang rule bollocks I'd have done the same thing.

If I get the jump on someone ill often give them the chance to take it without getting hit but ill be prepared to shoot if they try anything (somewhere where it won't hurt of course).

If he had a sniper rifle and no alternative for these situations he probably deserved to get shot anyway. You can just run into people expecting them to take hits left right and centre.

My local doesn't operate a bang rule but suggests you give them a surrender option, the key word being option. Best way to deal with the scenario in my opinion, if he had a suitable gun for the situation then he'd have gotten away with it.

• Supporters

Don't like bang rule - we are using bb's and is a combat sport ffs

next time I run out of ammo can I just go bang at somebody 30m away

no chance they would say

ah but this is long range finger I'm using

a hit is a hit - proper contact bb or knife light sabre dildo or whatever

within the rules or guidelines - stupid or not but those rules are there

Whilst that statement is true, airsoft and real world is quite different (mainly based on safety). Minding safety doesn't make you nice or a good player... It's the RULES! The OP played by the rules and came out on top. His opponent could have chosen an easy fix but for whatever reason couldn't be bothered to pack a £6 rubber knife! I would have taken the hit if he tapped me with a banana. At least it's a pointy object lol. 'Take your hit' is just plain lazy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.