Obsession with MOLLE

Nickona

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As many of you will know I am a bit of a gear whore and in my time airsofting I have done many a loadout from UKSF to African mercenaries in the 80's

But one thing I've noticed is that every seems obsessed with MOLLE, I rarely see new players ask about non molle rigs and rarely see player suggest non molle rigs

Now I fully understand the advantages of a MOLLE rig, high adaptability etc, and I myself have owned many MOLLE rigs and used correctly they are very good.. but so are many other non MOLLE rigs.. I think so far my favourite rigs are non-MOLLE and while the odd pouch might not be perfect you make do and get on and to be honest I have noticed basically no different in my ability to play effectively between my MBSS and my M83 chest rig for example

This is mainly aimed at the newer players who are not going to going out and buying lots of configurations for their MOLLE rig but who decide to get them anyway, and often get very sub-par Chinese rigs which then fall apart

So basically why is everyone so obsessed with MOLLE? Is it a lack of knowledge about alternatives or fashion (the multicam bug :P)or both?

(again this isn't aimed at experienced players but more why is MOLLE always recommended and sought by newer players)

• Supporters

It's more practical and adaptable. New players will want something relatively future proof that they can change to their own needs as time passes

In short it's better to have some modularity than none and new players will like the idea that they can set it up how they like it.

I like it since it gives me more flexibility than a fixed vest set up - I can adjust and change my loadout without having to buy a new bit of kit.

Plus everything released these days is molle. Not many companies produce new variants of the plc/alice set ups that predate the modular systems.

It's all about video games and films/TV, regardless of how inaccurate some of these mediums seem to be, they are thrust into everyone's face and the newer players, especially the younger among us see it and that is then the be all and end all, we managed many tours and years using gear without any molle in sight but it does unfortunately seem to be the norm now

I make do with little-no MOLLE on my Mini MAV, and I think it's great as a lightweight setup; I'm also running a Bulle UK Lightweight chest rig as part of my CB/Tan loadout and i'm doing great only using the built in pouches.

I understand the utility and coolness factor of MOLLE, but IMO it's even cooler when you find a fixed pouch rig that completely fits what you need.

Pattern 1937 webbing ftw :)

It's modular

It's long lasting

It's cheap

It's comfortable

As an added bonus, with the use of patented Blanco technology, you can alter the colour!

You can choose between Mk1, 2 and 3 pouches, double or triple rifle pouches. You can add holsters, pistol ammo pouches, water bottles, small or large backpacks, entrenching tool...

• Supporters

For woodland I reckon every player should have the option of trying an LBT 1961 pattern rig at least once. Zero molle but so much carrying capacity it's unreal. I will never sell my 1961G, it's such a good 'one stop shop' chest rig that I honestly don't think I'll ever get a better rig for a long day in the woods.

I suppose the main reason I see is standardisation. there's great advantages in everyone, players and manufacturers, using the same system. especially if it's one that works.

My rig is just one with 3 fixed mag pouches, behind it a pocket (where I put 2 mags) and some molle on each side. dump pouch attached on left (not even sure if it is molle??) and a single 3mag pouch attached on the right.

before that I had a bit more complex assault vest. almost no molle, just 6 mag pouches and 3 utility pouches on the front. on the back it had something I could attach molle things to, but not sure if it actually was molle. in either case, the vest worked excellent.

It's more practical and adaptable. New players will want something relatively future proof that they can change to their own needs as time passes

In short it's better to have some modularity than none and new players will like the idea that they can set it up how they like it.

But the highly cheap Chinese vests aren't exactly future proof. A decent WAS or even Bulle rig would be good but it seems like people go for MOLLE at all cost without thinking it through

My Flecktarn SAAV is great and not a loop of MOLLE in sight . :P

The M83 battle jacket is a brilliant rig, having owned both a repro one and a real one the repros have nothing on the originals, which actually aren't that expensive

I can adjust and change my loadout without having to buy a new bit of kit.

This is always what I thought with MOLLE but realised in reality I changed it around only when I bought new bits and tended to buy pouches "just in case" I needed it.

It's all about video games and films/TV, regardless of how inaccurate some of these mediums seem to be, they are thrust into everyone's face and the newer players, especially the younger among us see it and that is then the be all and end all, we managed many tours and years using gear without any molle in sight but it does unfortunately seem to be the norm now

This is a good point, there is definitely some "its what the pros are using must be the best" going on

Pattern 1937 webbing ftw :)

Hi-five for the old skool!! :D

For woodland I reckon every player should have the option of trying an LBT 1961 pattern rig at least once. Zero molle but so much carrying capacity it's unreal. I will never sell my 1961G, it's such a good 'one stop shop' chest rig that I honestly don't think I'll ever get a better rig for a long day in the woods.

They do look like absolutely brilliant rigs! I've always wanted one but they're so expensive and I have African stuff to import :D

I would say the same things about the M83 battle jacket, carries exactly what you need and in the right places. Can also take any mag from a R1 (SLR) to a AK47 to STANAGS and R4 (Galil) mags! Now thats versatility

It does depend. I would say Bulle is the minimum I'd ever recommend. Ive had viper vest literally tear themselves apart and a MFH rig that kept on pulling MOLLE straps off itself and frayed like a b****

This is something I have been debating with myself and the forum, ultimately it boiled down to how much do I need to carry? And in all seriousness how anyone can fill a 1961 webbing for a days normal skirmish is beyond me.

I found that 2 hi caps and a midcap is more than enough fire power and that can easily fit in combat / pcs shirt pockets. Obviously they are brilliant if you are loading out with the full 8 low caps for mil sim or for 24+ hour games where you carry your full water and scram supplies, but for the majority of weekend "have a bit of fun" skirishers all they need to carry are a few mags, some water, and a mars bar. Lugging a full webbing is ridiculous for that sort of situation, where a cheep Chinese molle vest does the job very well.

I have a SA vest and have had to remove the large side pouches because they will never get used, if I could find something to fill them they get so much in the way I cant shoot, comfortably or get at my pistol, but if I had a three day trek with minimal combat it would be ideal.

Tis evolution of design, idealism vs practicality, its the same reason the big boys are not still using flintlocks.

I witnessed something the other day that really dented my faith in airsoft and the type of people it attracts, all his gear on a belt kit, (which by itself is fine) but then wearing a condor chest rig with no molle pouches attached and the belt not attached, just wearing it for the sake of wearing it .....

Haha we get into lots of issues in airsoft when it comes down to "needs" :D

I see what you mean, under very light use Chinese molle vests would probably hold up.. but so would a Chicom chest rig or an old ops vest which are usually cheaper

I hope you SA vest was a repro if you were cutting it up :P

I have never found an issue with the side pouches on mine, granted I put the pistol in the bit its mean to go in on the vest and don't use a drop leg or belt holster with it

• Supporters

This is something I have been debating with myself and the forum, ultimately it boiled down to how much do I need to carry? And in all seriousness how anyone can fill a 1961 webbing for a days normal skirmish is beyond me.

I found that 2 hi caps and a midcap is more than enough fire power and that can easily fit in combat / pcs shirt pockets. Obviously they are brilliant if you are loading out with the full 8 low caps for mil sim or for 24+ hour games where you carry your full water and scram supplies, but for the majority of weekend "have a bit of fun" skirishers all they need to carry are a few mags, some water, and a mars bar. Lugging a full webbing is ridiculous for that sort of situation, where a cheep Chinese molle vest does the job very well.

I have a SA vest and have had to remove the large side pouches because they will never get used, if I could find something to fill them they get so much in the way I cant shoot, comfortably or get at my pistol, but if I had a three day trek with minimal combat it would be ideal.

Tis evolution of design, idealism vs practicality, its the same reason the big boys are not still using flintlocks.

I witnessed something the other day that really dented my faith in airsoft and the type of people it attracts, all his gear on a belt kit, (which by itself is fine) but then wearing a condor chest rig with no molle pouches attached and the belt not attached, just wearing it for the sake of wearing it .....

I can fill a 1961 pretty easily. I don't use high caps so 4-6 midcaps in 2-3 of the front pouches, 2 smokes in the other. Pistol in the right side radio pocket, radio in the left. 2 pea grenades in the grenade pockets, extra pea grenades in the left side utility/battery pouch, snacks and spare ammo in the right side utility. 2 pistol mags up front and a lens cleaning cloth inside one of the small pockets on the front of the magazine pouches.

No belt-kit required, bottle of water in a trouser pocket or a 1.5l bladder inside the lining of the rig if it's going to be a hot day. If I'll be out for longer than 3-4 hours I'll attach a pack to the back of it with a 3l bladder and various other bits and bobs to make life more comfortable :-)

That'll generally do me for a 3-4 hour game, top stuff up if needed at lunchtime and out for the same again in the afternoon.

As for the chimp wearing a chest rig with nothing on it... Some people are just special!

I understand entirely that a couple of high caps and a bottle of water will 'do', but that's just not how I roll. I don't fill the pouches for the sake of filling them, everything I carry in a pouch has a use and if I find I'm not using it it gets ditched!

On the subject of loading kit up.. I do tend to go on the heavier side partly because I view it as more of a work out :D

My local site does very fast games, so I tend to stick 3 120rnd midcaps in my Mini MAV +1 fitted to the weapon as I'm leaving the safe area, speed loader filled with .25s and spare Ni-Mh in my admin pouch and an extra hi-cap completely filled to eliminate rattle in my other trouser pocket or in a 5.56 pouch on my belt. I keep one of those Deployment Bags on my belt if I'm going out for longer and stick snacks and a muffled bottle of BBs in it, as well as a holster.

My Bulle rig is filled with 3 midcaps and spare hicap, along with a small bottle of Abbey Brut (if I'm sniping) and a small bottle of water. If I'm going out for longer, I'll swap the water for a smaller BB bottle and stick a hydro unit on my back under the rig.

My Condor rig, by far my largest (and usually with extra pouches attached for exercises) has all 3 spare midcaps +1 hicap, bladder in the dedicated pouch in the rig's 'spine', holster mounted to the MOLLE on the left side for a crossdraw, Leatherman in a pistol mag pouch on my left shoulder and both .30 and .25/.20g speedloaders in a grenade pouch on the right side of the rig.

I prefer running both chest rigs as it means I can move quickly and with less noise than the Condor, but I'd definitely take the Condor over both other rigs for a longer day, overnight game, weekend or fieldcraft as I can get my camping gas, stove, mess tins, cam cream, red and white light torches, gas lighter, mess tins and hydration pouch in it easily without having any issues with a belt rig slipping.

It's easy to fill up 2 pouches on P37. 6 Sten mags in 1 pouch, bottle of BB's, speedloader, chocolate and 2-3 nades in the other. Gas mask bag=Dump pouch.

• Supporters

I'm all for the MOLLE as it's practical and suits my constant need to fiddle with my loadout, but I have become acutely aware that actually - I don't NEED all that space!

The proliferation though is probably for the same reasons as why everyone and their dog seems to have an M4 and a Glock or an L85 and a Sig. People identify with a particular armed force and want to emulate it - nothing wrong in that at all of course but it leads to an overwhelming "samey" feel to everything.

I must admit, MOLLE is so much better than fixed pouches, my 1st tac vest a a viper one with fixed pouches.

I regret it now.

Getting a MOLLE plate carrier soon.

Anyone mind explaining to the newbie what MOLLE is and why it's better than fixed pouches?

• Supporters

Anyone mind explaining to the newbie what MOLLE is and why it's better than fixed pouches?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOLLE

It's actually a system of load bearing equipment but the word has become synonymous with what is actually called PALS webbing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PALS_webbing

The system allows you to attach ammo and utility pouches on a ladder pattern of webbing. This means that you can have whatever pouches you want in a layout that suits the individual without having to make a "one size fits all" solution.

and why it's better than fixed pouches?

No we can't that's the point of the tread, both options are available and both have advantages and disadvantages, you look at your requirements and chose your gear to reflect it, for some a Mini Mav for 3 mags is plenty, for others a 1961 rig is required. Just because one is different doesn't make it any less valid.

Molle has the advantage of being modular and can easily and quickly be changed to your personal requirements, the SA vest for example has the advantage of being able to carry a large amount of gear conveniently, comfortably and in the right place when you need it. It really does boil down to your personal choice.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.