Yawns' Official Gear-Getting Thread!

Yawns

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hiii!

It's me again, Afew weeks back I made a post in the 'Beginner Arrivals' Forum subsection.

I've booked myself into my first game next thursday(?)

It is £10 for first-timers to rent so I'm dragging a friend along, Should be a jolly good bit of fun.

Now, Before we get all up-in-arms about this, Yes, I understand that I have no experience with guns seems as I have never played a game of airsoft before, But it doesn't hurt me to search and get a rough idea of the market.

So.

Here is the part where I blurt out my probably irrational and silly thoughts ;)

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/cm16_carbine_transparent.html

Boom, Thats a gun right there folks.

It is a reputable brand that isn't a silly colour that I can use without being over 18.

LORD_METILE READ THIS

you have a gun like this, What is it like? Help ;)

---

Side Note: I'm quite impartial to abit of AK, Preferably CYMA for the affordability. but can I get it in Clear plastic anywhere? or could a store tastefully dye the wood to a bright colour, IE: a bright cherry wood, It beats ugly green stripes any day, I just want to know if dyeing the wood is Ukara A-OK.

---

I want a lightweight loadout!

This is the part you'd need to help me on, I have 0 idea as to where to get it, As I have no idea about the sizings.

Also, Being a teenager, I'm rather fashion conscious about these things, Would skinny dark-green chinos work? Also, A light chest rig, I'm energetic, Youthful, I know I won't be sprinting by the end of the day but I can damn right try.

I don't care about a mask, I just don't want a living relic of the bygone era when it comes to masks, Nothing all paintball-like, I don't want to scare the opponents, I want something practical and smart-looking.

I hate the look of high ankle-covering boots that climb up your shin, Any alternatives?

---

Thanks again guys, I will probably be bumping this thread in future whenever I need ;)

well the gun is apparently good according to lord metile. There is however, a starter pack for £120 that offers charger as well and a battery I believe, maybe even some bbs. You should probably get that :)

Weapons: Okay the gun you've linked is fine as a starter, so don't worry about that till you have a feel for the hobby and know what to look for in weapons.

Transparent AKs are practically non existent - i.e. If you look long and thoroughly enough you may find one, but I've never seen or heard of one. Best colour for AK two tones (in my opinion) is the bright orange since if you squint at it then it almost looks realistic haha. Cymas are brilliant but you will need a spring downgrade as they clear 370fps out of the box.

Chest rig/Loadout: Best thing to do is to decide what you need the rig for then choose accordingly; chest rig/vest for CQB games or plate carriers if you decide to milsim/use low cap magazines. It's all dependent on your ideal budget as well since most decent chest rigs/plate carriers cost in the region of £40+ before you add on pouches. If you're on a budget then a prebuilt tactical vest may be a better choice as you can get a decent one for around £30. As a new starter it's unlikely you'll be running more than a couple of high caps so just having camo trousers on is enough as most pockets on these are big enough to hold magazines. This brings me on to the chinos. Don't bother with them and buy a pair of surplus camo trousers to wear instead (can get them for less than £10).

Face mask: Depends on personal preference and your sites restrictions. Most ask for under 16s having a full one piece mask, 16-18s can have a lower mesh mask/goggle combo and 18+ can just use goggles. Personally speaking the goggle/mesh mask combo is my favourite combined with suitable head wear. I use these two products as my face protection:

http://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/smith-optics-elite-boogie-regulator-goggle-10085-p.asp

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/370897157295

Boots: Anything sturdy with good grip is your best bet. Hiking boots are cheap and rugged but again it's down to what your comfortable in. Most commercial trainers won't take the abuse of regular skirmishing whereas a good pair of boots are usually cheaper and last a lot longer.

• Supporters

1: the gun is good, yes. Buy it.

2: no, dyeing the wood on an AK won't be good enough. Partly because all the cheap AKs aren't actually wood anyway but mostly because a tasteful shade of cherry doesn't look sufficiently unrealistic to qualify under the VCRA regs.

3: whatever you feel comfortable in running about and getting dirty is absolutely fine to wear. You'll probably forget about fashion and start being more bothered by practicality quite quickly though.

I want a lightweight loadout!

This is the part you'd need to help me on, I have 0 idea as to where to get it, As I have no idea about the sizings.

Also, Being a teenager, I'm rather fashion conscious about these things, Would skinny dark-green chinos work? Also, A light chest rig, I'm energetic, Youthful, I know I won't be sprinting by the end of the day but I can damn right try.

I don't care about a mask, I just don't want a living relic of the bygone era when it comes to masks, Nothing all paintball-like, I don't want to scare the opponents, I want something practical and smart-looking.

I hate the look of high ankle-covering boots that climb up your shin, Any alternatives?

---

Thanks again guys, I will probably be bumping this thread in future whenever I need ;)

Lightweight loadout? You've come to the right place! :D

#1: the Bulle Lightweight Chest rig

This rig has all you need for £40, and it lasts a hell of a long time as do other Bulle UK products. Comes with built in pouches including:

• 3x bungee secured mag pouches holding 2x M4 mags in each or 1x AK/G36 mag
  • 2x zip up utility pouches mounted either side, with MOLLE on the fronts and the insides to secure items etc.
  • 1x zip up map pouch occupying the space behind the mag pouches

It also has MOLLE on the back panel for hydration pouches, MOLLE on the shoulder straps and even MORE MOLLE on the front of the mag pouches :)

odtmb6nx500a.jpg

£30 off tactical kit.co.uk. Also comes in Tan if you want to put together a Multicam/MTP/Coyote Brown/Desert DPM/ whatever desert camo you want loadout. I believe that's in stock there at the moment.

#2: the Tactical Tailor Mini MAV

This thing is micro as hell. It comes with no pouches whatsoever but it does have space for 3x M4 mag pouches and 2 pistol mag pouches either side or a torch pouch/whatever. I personally own this rig (as well as the Bulle rig) and I can safely say they are both amazing quality. The TT Mini MAV is made in Tacoma Heights, Washington, USA, and feels brilliant to the touch. They come in Olive Drab, Black, Coyote Brown and Multicam.

cbaabf33b8adbc49f93351fd72c09115.jpg

These things retail for £32 with no pouches on them, however you can get pouches for fairly cheap. In fact, the best budget pouches are made by Bulle UK! :D

As for trousers, I'd suggest not using Chinos as they can rip easily- pick up a pair of Craghoppers trousers from a camping shop or Go Outdoors/Milletts online or a pair of MFH combats off military1st.co.uk or a pair of Propper canvas trousers off flecktarn.co.uk.

Dayum, the tactical tailor mini mav is sexy AF IMO, I'll probably role with that, a tight black plain tee and chinos, either skinny tan or dark green, up to whether or not I'll play in woodlands, I'll throw on a pair of Nike's for my first game or so.

As for the gun, awaiting metiles response, all I ever see him post about is changing his gun xD

Do not try to run around a woodland site in trainers mate, you will damage yourself! One of the most singularly important pieces of kit you should buy over anything else is a good pair of boots, even lightweight hiking style boots are a better bet than trainers, a lot of sites actually state 'suitable footwear/boots must be worn'

Dayum, the tactical tailor mini mav is sexy AF IMO, I'll probably role with that, a tight black plain tee and chinos, either skinny tan or dark green, up to whether or not I'll play in woodlands, I'll throw on a pair of Nike's for my first game or so.

As for the gun, awaiting metiles response, all I ever see him post about is changing his gun xD

Be warned; sites might not let you play in trainers due to them having no ankle support.

Tbh it's fine wearing Chinos for your first game, but you'd be much better off buying a pair of tougher trousers if you start airsofting regularly as the Chinos could potentially rip or take a long time to dry out.

As for the G&G M4, it's possibly the most cost effective rifle out there. Perfect for beginners. In the transparent form you're much less noticeable compared to other U18s with 2toned weapons. Plus, you can spray over the transparent parts when you're a regular skirmisher, and any paint that comes off will not have bright green/red/orange/blue underneath :)

A good pair of boots would be much better than trainers, and are especially important if you're playing woodlands. Look for a pair on sale at somewhere like Go Outdoors maybe?

There's also a surplus store selling army boots for around £20 or two for £35. Can't remember the site though

Go Outdoors is my likely go to, I've brought stuff from there before and I have one a 20 minute drive away. But big boots aren't for running, I want the pace! Any alternatives?

Lightweight hiking boots, newer generation combat boots (lowa/meindle) plenty of options, it's all about supporting your ankles, don't be foolish and think it won't happen to you, chances are if you turn up I trainers you won't get to actually play

You will be faster on rough terrain in a decent pair of boots. In trainers you'll be falling and sliding all over the place.

Go Outdoors is my likely go to, I've brought stuff from there before and I have one a 20 minute drive away. But big boots aren't for running, I want the pace! Any alternatives?

Big boots aren't for running? This is news to me. I've owned and used British Assault boots as part of a uniform requirement for the past 3 years- I've used mine on field exercises, ranges and assault courses, and I've needed to run a hell of a lot more during those than I've had to run in a skirmish.

Sorry to sound hard on you, but there is no suitable alternative to combat boots when it comes to mobility and ankle protection. You may be able to run faster in Nikes, but they don't have that deep tread boots do which help them to dig into mud.

• Supporters

But big boots aren't for running, I want the pace! Any alternatives?

How's your budget?

Lowa zephyrs

5.11 Taclite 8"

Pentagon Scorpion boots

Under Armour Valsetz

All nice and light but with the ankle support you'll need and won't get from mid height walking boots.

Paha, its not that their fashionable, but they are much better than saggy tan cargos :/

Also, my budget would be £40 tops for a pair of boots

I use a pair of Karimoor walking shoes. They have a trainer feel to them but the grip of walking boots so perfect for most indoor CQB. I've got some actual walking boots for winter as slipping on ice isn't ha hilarious as it looks.

I always play in jeans, got some from primark for a tenner that are stretchy so they're easier to run in. If you're rubbing an AK go for either a terrorist or PMC look as most of it you can wear with both looks- jeans, walking boots, green chest rig, shemagh,good gloves, good eye pro. You can then just change your top and headwear to suit- longsleeve black t shirt or fleece and a baseball cap for PMC and a tshirt, kameeze and pakol for insurgent. 2 loadout a for next to nothing :).

You have 1 gun and 1 magazine, you don't need any sort of chest rig till you have something to put in it.

Spend your money on a pair of suprus camo trousers, a good pair of surplus boots, a good pair of goggles/eye pro (facemask if under 18) a green hoody/fleece and possibly some gloves.

Play a few games and wait till you get your UKARA, if you buy a two tone/transparent gun you WILL regret it in two months time.

find a local surplus store or try ebay

Trousers: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-British-Army-Surplus-Combat-Trousers-Soldier-95-DPM-in-Various-Sizes-VGC-/370691990761?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&var=&hash=item564ef6e4e9

Boots: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=surplus+army+boots&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC2.A0.H0&_nkw=surplus+army+boots&_sacat=0

Deacthlon are selling a nice green fleece for £7 at the min,

In response to the individual 'dress schemes'

I'm a counter strike player, If I get an AK, I'll buy a glock to go with it.

If I get an M4, I'll get a USP to go with it.

I like the 'terrorist' loadout better from this individual POV, As AK's and Glocks are neat.

But then it poses the question 'Well you can't get any clear plastic aks'

So I will still go for the m4a1, Hell, I'll throw a suppressor on there for the right M4A1-S look from CS.

It's only £99, I'd have to play like 5 games with it to make back the money I spent on it through not having to pay to rent, Problem? I believe not ;)

So I will get that M4, Reputable brand, Reputable store and a nice price.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm rolling in money but £99 isn't much for a starter gun.

Tl;Dr: Yay for CS, Yay for starter guns, I'll build a terrorist loadout in future :D

And it will cost you just under £30 to actually buy both, as you'll have to buy an NiMh battery first, which tend to be more expensive?

Aight, Thanks for the help ;)

Could you possibly link me to a suitible battery/Charger

As I have no idea what will fit and what won't

I don't mind spending £30, I should be able to fit a whole starting airsoft loadout under £300 (right?)

Could you possibly link me to a suitible battery/Charger

As I have no idea what will fit and what won't

Battery: 8.4V 2200mAh 4/5SC NiMH Battery Pack. (3x2 + 1). Higher mAh means more shots, the rule of thumb is 1mAh used per shot.

Charger: Universal charger for Airsoft battery packs.

Component Shop is a brilliant Wales-based retailer and will be happy to help with any questions. Any batteries with a Mini Tamiya connector will fit an AEG gun (unless a different connector is in it, and that should be specified by the retailer)

I should be able to fit a whole starting airsoft loadout under £300 (right?)

Depends where/what you buy. A set of basic CS'95 Woodland DPM combat trousers and shirt should cost under £20, a good pair of boots should cost around £50 or under (German Para boots are supposed to be good, you can get them for around £30 second hand (<- second hand is better as they'll be worn in already)) you can get old British Army Northern Ireland chest rigs for 99p off Ebay or the newer Bulle and TT stuff for costs and in places I've mentioned above.

As well as those you'll want face protection (a full mask should be no more than £25) maybe a pair of combat gloves (you can get simple Viper pairs for under £10 from Ebay and various places like Military1st) extra magazines (I'd suggest buying an extra hicap first if your gun comes with 1, or saving and buying a set of midcaps which can cost £30-£50) a spare battery (17-odd, perhaps buy 2 of the ones I've linked above?) and a few bottles of BBs. Proairsoftsupplies have a sale on for 0.20g Blaster BB bottles on atm, £6.20 or something for one bottle.

^these are only rough estimates for basic stuff. If you wanted higher end stuff you'd be looking at £300 without the gun.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.