what is a DMR

chrisbirley

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi guys

ive done a quick search, but it didnt come up with anything - so sorry if this has been asked previously.

i know what DMR stands for - Designated Marksman Rifle, and i know the part a DM plays in a squad as opposed to a sniper being a lone person (or perhaps with a spotter) but i was wondering more from the point of view of the gun.

what defines a gun as being a DMR?

do they have anything different compared to a 'normal' AEG?

im just curious as ive seen site limits set for DMRs, but wondered how you distinguished a DMR from a normal rifle.

many thanks

Chris

DMRs tend to be AEGs which have internal upgrades such as better pistons, gears, motors, lower resistance wiring, a tight bore barrel and a better hop unit/nub/rubber.

There are 2 variations of DMR;

• AEG conversions
  • Purpose built

The AEG conversions have all the upgrades mentioned above, however they have their automatic fire mechanism removed to conform them to site limits. The purpose built DMRs (so for example G&G SR25s, Real Sword SVDs etc) have been produced with no automatic feature and no upgrades, although I believe the RS SVD has DMR quality internals out of the box. Not too sure on this though.

Many people convert M16 size AEGs into DMRs, using shorter 'Vietnam' style straight magazines, low power scopes, full length RIS systems and all the internals up to DMR spec. I've heard of G3 DMRs and G36E DMRS as well though.

• Supporters

hi guys

ive done a quick search, but it didnt come up with anything - so sorry if this has been asked previously.

i know what DMR stands for - Designated Marksman Rifle, and i know the part a DM plays in a squad as opposed to a sniper being a lone person (or perhaps with a spotter) but i was wondering more from the point of view of the gun.

what defines a gun as being a DMR?

do they have anything different compared to a 'normal' AEG?

im just curious as ive seen site limits set for DMRs, but wondered how you distinguished a DMR from a normal rifle.

many thanks

Chris

In terms of "real steel" (god I have that term) it's a platform capable of increased accuracy at range than a standard infantry rifle. Usually based off a similar platform to allow the Designated Marksman to share ammo with the rest of the squad if need be (not always of course).

As far as airsoft is concerned it's pretty much all down to FPS. You can make a DMR out of an MP5 if you so desire. It's a way of having a semi auto AEG/GBBR that has higher FPS for better range/accuracy (yeah yeah I know) but without going to the extremes/play style of being a sniper.

• Supporters

In my opinion it also defined by how you use the gun.

I consider my playing style as DM even though I only use a red dot and a 350 fps aeg. I only use single shot, careful aiming, and my gun usually outperforms most AEGs as it has carefully selected internals.

DMR is a bit of a buzzword in airsoft.

Essentially an airsoft DMR is an accurised and (importantly) more consistent version of a standard AEG. So you get your gat; you do some gearbox goodness so that you're always generating the same power; you pimp your hop in your chosen way and stabilise/accurise your barrel assembly with barrel spacers and the like. At some point during this process, your weapon will begin to be a 'dmr' in the sense that most airsofters think.

The most important aspect of airsoft DMRing is locking out your full auto option. Going semi-only will allow you to go by a skirmish site's DMR FPS limit rather than their standard AEG one - generally around 400fps rather than 350fps, which if handled right can give you an extremely slight distance advantage, but really it's the consistency and accurisation that makes a DMR great - like a jedi with his own lightsaber, loving and getting to know your weapon and it's habits makes the two of you more effective automatically.

If you want more information on DMR-ization, google 'The Holy Grail of airsoft DMR', there's a wonderfully in-depth thread out there somewhere.

Disclaimer: I seem to remember some (often Milsim) sites don't care if your AEG is semi-locked, so upping it to 400fps could make it illegal at /some/ venues.

• Supporters

The site i play at says that if your gun shoots over 350FPS then it has to be toned down or used as a single shot only making it more of a DMR (Semi-automatic firing rifle)

And there is the elephant in the room, a DMR is like little man syndrome, someone who feels the need to out FPS the rest of the field and feel superior. Often they are the ones who will be very vocal about how much their "reel steel" chest rig cost and carry a CAT tourniquet.

Although I might just be being synical ....

And there is the elephant in the room, a DMR is like little man syndrome, someone who feels the need to out FPS the rest of the field and feel superior. Often they are the ones who will be very vocal about how much their "reel steel" chest rig cost and carry a CAT tourniquet.

It's not really just about having more FPS than the average AEG- it's more about being effective at longer ranges than AEG users generally are and bridging the gap between people playing a dedicated sniper role with a bolt action and automatic weapons. Which is what real life DMR rifles are used for......

And tbh, you can't really stereotype DMR users as showoff geardos- I've often seen DMR users in low end gear because they put every penny they can into internal upgrades, wiring and mosfets. I've seen more normal AEG users in HSGI, Flyye, 5.11 and other high end gear brands.

I would hardly call that an elephant in the room....

There are jokes about DMRs being "ego extenders" but thats the same for many other roles like snipers, grenadiers and also machine gunners and its banter.

You clearly have it in for milsimmers so why don't you leave it out of the thread as its not what this is about.. if you want to rant about people wearing real kit go make another thread for it

As for DMRs I would say they are a very useful asset to a team, as much if not more than a sniper.. I would always encourage people to try their best to keep to the 350fps so you can still use your rifle when the enemy comes close. The vastly increased firepower associated with DMRs means they tend to be better for FIBUA ops than a bolt action rifle

I should also add that many sites only allow real world DMRs (or close to) to be used as such so they will not allow a stupidly upgraded MP5K for example but a Mk.12 mock on a M16 would be fine although items like a magnified scope and bi-pod are expected

DMR:

SPRCrane.jpg

Not a DMR:

m16a4ar15.jpg

• Supporters

I understood DMR as a beefy AEG - locked only to single shot semi auto only

can have increased fps to assist with long range shots and perhaps long barrel for accuracy to

All depend on the site - yes if it is locked to single shot only but running with Lipo 11.1v and in the hands

of a good player with good trigger finger that can be devastating or deffo a big advantage

This is very true if most stuff is restricted to single shot only in close range stuff but the DMR should have MED

But another problem is that a beefed up M4 or M16 DMR firing at 420fps looks identical of course to a 345 one

so out on the field how the hell do you know if you got shot by a in effect a hot M4 that they used at close range

Yes good for long range shots maybe but doubt if everybody will be informed on who has DMR on enemy team

so unless the marshal is paying very close attention many will not know if DMR guns are being used at close distance

Once again if site allows DMR's up to or just over 400fps the rest of players rely on that owner using it fairly for medium

and long distance shots that perhaps normal AEG's just can't quite make

And maybe the DMR users not purposely engage enemy in close range

Suppose it is all about trust, honesty and playing fair in the end

Most sites I play at the make sure people who are using snipers or DMRs make themselves known to marhsalls and sometimes they do a distance judging test to make sure they're safe.

If one was to break the MED on purpose and obviously it would not be taken well by site marshalls and will likely result in that person being ejected form site

• Supporters

Slightly off topic - but my son went to another site and not 1 gun was chrono'd

ok It was kids game match but ffs - how the hell did they know nobody was running hot guns

he said a fair amount were jbbg crap but there were some decent taiwan guns there

My local one they chrono in morning mark guns and after lunch chrono any new people turning up to play

Slightly off topic - but my son went to another site and not 1 gun was chrono'd

ok It was kids game match but ffs - how the hell did they know nobody was running hot guns

he said a fair amount were jbbg crap but there were some decent taiwan guns there

My local one they chrono in morning mark guns and after lunch chrono any new people turning up to play

They don't chrono guns much at all at the U18 matches I frequently attend; sure there's people there who've never heard of internal upgrades, but there are a few who know their stuff as well as those from better off families who can afford better guns and such.

Alright, calm your tits we are arguing the same point.

I don't know where you get I'm anti Mil sim from, because its quite the contrary, I have a lot of respect for proper Mil Simmers, and I agree that a DMR can be valuable. But not every game is a Mil Sim, and for every well meaning hardcore DM; in my experience there are 3 morons who simply want to put a 150 spring in their Double Eagle M4 purely to exploit the higher fps rules.

As I said before maybe I am being cynical, or maybe the sites you play at have better controls than the ones I have experienced.

• Supporters

They don't chrono guns much at all at the U18 matches I frequently attend; sure there's people there who've never heard of internal upgrades, but there are a few who know their stuff as well as those from better off families who can afford better guns and such.

Well sorry but that is a bit out of order - one rule for one and forget about it for others

I mean if I was a parent - well yeah I am, but if I had a little 10yr old weakling kid I would like

to think that the site does operate its safety policies correctly ffs

poor little timmy may get shot at 400+ at close/mid range and get $hit shot out of him by somebody

that the site failed to check all guns were within the limits

Sorry but in my book that is b0ll0cks - I mean grown ups yeah lets not always go mental with red tape

coz we are men and expect to get hit a bit maybe

But ffs - That parent signed a consent form - so why the f*ck the site not carrying out its duties to ensure

safety of kids - and we are talking about children - with a vast range - my son said some of them deffo

looked older than 18 - but I said well they could be students and I got served in pubs when I was his age

coz at 14 I never had a problem looking older than I was - I looked like 70 now though

But some of them kids looked like little pups who fall over if the got shot with a nerf gun

Sorry but I expect and hope all skirmishes to carry out the same safety checks and regulations

as they should do for all games - whatever the age range of players

some of the kids were hiring G&G's and there was pro looking snipers and stuff there too

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.