First sniper rifle, What do you think of this? And any hints :)

Prathios

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I currently have 2 airsoft weapons, And both of them are assault rifles.

I have:

M4SS

G36C

Both are sadly tone but alot of it is metal with the rest being abs.

I am now looking for a sniper rifle, Though we are using these for training our cover and targeting (New to airsoft) i need one that will be good to me for a long time. It must be tone because we have not completed our UKARA requirements yet. I am currently looking at this one which seems to be great value... But i would rather check with some more... informed folk first :P

http://www.geniestuff.co.uk/airsoft-sniper-rifle-l96-mk3-mb01-two-tone-bundle.htm#

Please throw me some tips or thumbs up if this one will hold up. I have many more bookmarked... But alot seem similar or worse.

Prathios (Mike)

Its a common type.

I have one. It shoots at a good fps but like most snipers, needs upgrades to improve accuracy and consistency.

No such thing as a cheap good sniper rifle.

Aha my current issue is mainly costs. I can push to about 170-180 but my sons just grown out of 90% of his little clothes in about a week. Would this at least hold out early on until i can afford the upgrades? Or is it one of those things where it just feels wrong until its fixed.

It's a good rifle, I'm looking at buying one myself. I think it will be alright until you can upgrade, but since I don't have one myself I wouldn't take my word for it.

You could probably find it a bit cheaper somewhere else. I'm looking at mine from Poland for £100 (I doubt they will do two-tone though)

If you're looking to upgrade it, i would recommend ASPUK.

AFAIK a lot of snipers like to go for expensive Prometheus / PDI / Laylax parts etc but some brands can be ridiculously expensive.

Yeah i noticed that some parts companies shoot up in value, But so do the good reviews. I think ill go for this one and make a few adjustments. Although i looked up the TM VSR series that Finius mentioned. It does have some charm too it.

• Supporters

Currently the best buy sniper gun is A&K M24. It already has steel trigger mechanism. A few tweaks, a good hopup rubber, a barrel and you are good to go.

However I usually recommend sniping to more experienced players. It is nothing like in the computer games. Play at least one year with AEG before taking up sniping or you will be really disappointed.

The L96 without upgrade is just as accurate as a bad AEG. There is no hopup rubber available for it as far as I know so it is a pain in the *ss to get real accuracy out of it. You can get a hopup chamber for a lot of money that uses AEG rubber but that will get only AEG accuracy tops. You should go for a VSR based system - like the A&K M24.

Yeah samurai i know its nothing like computer games, Thankfully grew up around piles of air rifles and shotguns until i moved. After that i did various target shooting at short and long ranges :) Only have one of my old rifles left now though and i think we may sell that too.

That m24 you mentioned is damm nice, But not having much luck finding any uk sales apart from pieces for it.

• Supporters

The rubber and barrel are VSR compatible so you have plenty upgrades to choose from. The other parts of it are good as they are.

Actually you don't even have to change these at the beginning either.

I think taiwangun.com or gunfire.pl has it. I don't know if they two-tone it or not.

Thanks, I will look into that, Even if they don't i might hang on until i'm clear for a replica.

Edit - Found similar rifles on the sited provided, And also thank you for the links they have some decent prices for various things. I feel like im going to wait for now... I looked at too many replica styles to be able to deal with a two tone sniper stock now. Ukara or site registration first :)

was also gonna say TM vsr.

I heard a thumb rule that generally you have to spend around £1000 before you have a sniper that is worth using over an aeg.

was also gonna say TM vsr.

I heard a thumb rule that generally you have to spend around £1000 before you have a sniper that is worth using over an aeg.

I managed it with just under £600 xD

I would recommend the A&K SVD but it can be a little problematic so for a beginner it might not be the best option. Love mine to bits and it performs flawlessly but it has taken about 7-8 months to get it working correctly. That is something that you will need a lot of...patience. Once you have it set up properly though, it can be INCREDIBLY satisfying.

The L96 in the picture is a good beginners rifle as my brother has one. The Marui VSR that a few have mentioned is also good as my best mate has one (fully upgraded took the overall cost to just over £500 IIRC). Out of the box, the L96 is usable but it won't be able to out-range other snipers. It is a nice and easy system to work with though...and in my opinion they look gorgeous :D

I managed it with just under £600 xD

I would recommend the A&K SVD but it can be a little problematic so for a beginner it might not be the best option. Love mine to bits and it performs flawlessly but it has taken about 7-8 months to get it working correctly. That is something that you will need a lot of...patience. Once you have it set up properly though, it can be INCREDIBLY satisfying.

The L96 in the picture is a good beginners rifle as my brother has one. The Marui VSR that a few have mentioned is also good as my best mate has one (fully upgraded took the overall cost to just over £500 IIRC). Out of the box, the L96 is usable but it won't be able to out-range other snipers. It is a nice and easy system to work with though...and in my opinion they look gorgeous :D

out of interest, the spring version of the svd? how do you find it?

my brother have it, stock.. haven't really tried it. I am considering an aeg version

One thing you may notice is that the charging handle is very tough to pull. It's not the strength of actually pulling it; it's the wear on your pulling finger as it digs in. I got the extension for it and it really makes the difference.

I can't comment on the out of the box performance as mine came with a damaged cylinder head so by the time I first skirmished it properly, it had a new spring, barrel, cylinder head, piston, trigger sears and hop unit! It's also a BIG gun. Mines huge....so to speak. I've got a suppressor on mine and when stood with the stock on the floor, it comes up to my chin!

What I would recommend though, are optic rails from Kalinka Optics if you are not going for the POSP-1 scope.

I use this:

http://kalinkaoptics.com/mounts/svd-psl-tigr-romak-3/original-bp-02-svd-psl-tigr-low-profile-centered-side-mount-to-weaver-rail.html

The universal mount that a lot of people put on is too high, so some scopes won't zero in properly as they won't look low enough. It can also give a strange visual effect from parallax which makes it look like the bb is bending into it's target when it is in fact going perfectly straight.

Before suppressor mod:

post-6740-0-16387000-1402005909_thumb.jpg

After, next to my SCAR and UMP.

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/3820-gun-picture-thread/page-110#entry143368 (cant find the original picture).

One good thing; it takes AEG parts. It is very easy to install parts.

I would recommend the spring SVD. It certainly turns heads...and with the suppressor on it is so quiet.

List of upgrades:
AirsoftPro.cz Upgraded trigger sears

AirsoftPro.cz Upgraded hop unit

AirsoftPro.cz Upgraded outer/inner barrel holding unit

M140 spring

AirsoftPro.cz Reinforced piston

AirsoftPro.cz Reinforced cylinder head

Madbull 6.03 650mm tightbore barrel

Forgotten brand red hop rubber

AirsoftPro Suppressor adapter (nicely cushions the end of the tight bore barrel)

Kalinka optic mount

Black handguard/grip furniture (previously 2-tone)

AirsoftPro.cz Charging handle extension

Soon to be getting a prometheus hop rubber as my other hard rubber shredded during a strip down :/

out of interest, the spring version of the svd? how do you find it?

my brother have it, stock.. haven't really tried it. I am considering an aeg version

If you're willing to save, you could get yourself an RS SVD for about £500-£600, and it has internals widely regarded to be DMR standard.

If you're willing to save, you could get yourself an RS SVD for about £500-£600, and it has internals widely regarded to be DMR standard.

Funny you mention that, it's Real Sword or nothing for me when it comes to SVD:)

so you're saying it wont need upgrading?

• 2 weeks later...

Having the issue with the scope being too high, Altered it down as much as possible but still have to aim low at mid range by quite abit. At longer range its fine. I can adjust for this myself but its abit odd aiming below my targets rather than over at range xD

Oh... Genius. Thank you samurai! I can just whip em right out again when shooting at longer range. That is really handy. I actually have 2 spare screws off another mount that are a TINY TINY bit longer to account for it if needed too.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you tried placing a few pieces of camera film negative under the scope in the rear scope mount?

In air rifle FT shooting this is a common practice to eliminate scopes that can't zero down enough to shorter ranges, just don't over tighten the scope mount upper ring screws.

Finger tight and a quarter turn is all that is needed.

Just read the link on shimming, don't use card as it will compress, metal strip can corrode over time whereas camera negative does neither of the above plus it's thickness is very consistent.

Yesterday I was shooting my A&K SVD at a tin can at 40+ using .25gr bb's.

The FNG is correct about the cocking bolt, it needs the bolt extension!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.