goggles again

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys

just been to my second skirmish (1 more then im getting my UKARA still unsure as to what gun - i want so many!!)

im after some advice. i purchased a pair of ESS Profile NVG goggles from ebay for about £25. went to my first skirmish, and they started flaking on the inside - i read somewhere that this was most likely the antifog coating flaking off. i emailed the seller who said they hadnt had any problems previously, and they sent me another pair. i used this second pair today, and the same thing happened.

i figure there is either one of 2 things:

a) the goggles are fakes, and therefore the lenses are not proper or,

B) i sweat so much that it is too much for the lenses.

im would like to know whether anyone else has had similar issues - im happy to buy a proper lense if you think that could be my problem. or i need to start looking for something else.

im a little reluctant to purchase mesh goggles due to the potential risk - had some shards go through one of the guys airsofting today with his mesh goggles.

Should i go for some smaller goggles that cover each eye individually - if so what recommendations?

or should i look at going for a BBA rampage mask (or similar) and have some ballistic glasses underneath (to provide the protection)?

or have i overlooked anything else?

thanks in advance

Chris

post-9194-0-20862200-1401563952_thumb.jpg

What did you use on the inside of the goggs?if you used a detergent such as "fairy" it can have an adverse affect on the coating such as you've described

Either fake or a faulty batch maybe? No idea tbh.

If you do decide to get some more goggles I cant recommend Revision Bullet Ants enough, got mine for under £20 as surplus (UK army drivers use them) and they've been brilliant, can even supposedly withstand a shotgun blast from 5m.

Only two times they've fogged up badly was on a very warm, wet day when sitting in a small bunker, lack of air movement caused problems.

If you do get a pair, rip out the foam filters before use, unless you're planning on spending time in a desert they do nothing except block airflow.

Not sure what to do about the lenses you currently have, since I've never had that problem nor know a solution. But, if it comes to you needing new goggles, I reccommend these: http://www.airsoftworld.net/viper-bolle-style-goggles-tinted.html

I own a pair, and the only drawback I have is they are a tad chunky, so they don't mix well with sniper rifle cheek rests and some guns with high stocks and low iron sights. But apart from that they are spot on, good price aswell.

@snuff - nope not done anything to the lenses except give them a quick once over with the ESS antifog cloth

@Adam - thanks for the recommendation - would these work even sweating more than an incredibly sweaty thing (i was going for another saying but thought better of it in case of minors :) )

I've used them on some bloody humid days and not had a problem with sweat steaming them up, as long as you're out in the open even the slightest bit of air movement seems to keep them clear.

I don't tend to get too sweaty though so you might not have quite as good an experience with them!

They also come with 3 different lens types which is fair handy and have the option of a glasses prescription insert, although I imagine this would make steaming up more of a problem.

Ask the seller to investigate as they are obviously no good...and of course they've never had reports of it happening before.. :rolleyes: ..

just get a refund and shop elsewhere,I've only ever seen this(airsoft and paibntball) when a chemical has been applied to antifog.

Not taking the piss but there isn't a protective skin you have to remove is there?I've seen that on some Dye goggles..

I have no idea why that is happening, nothing you do to them should be flaking the anti fog coating like that in one game. I sweat more than anyone I know and I can't even remotely get my goggles to do that, they just rain out.

I would have to say they are just faulty, its not your fault and you should buy a different make/brand.

• Supporters

Yeah, looks like you've got a dodgy/fake lens there, I use ESS goggles/glasses exclusively and I've only ever had the anti fog coating bubble like that after I scraped it pretty badly with a bit of plastic by accident.

Tactical-kit do replacement lenses.

thanks for all the comments, i think i might give them another go, but with an authentic replacement lense from a reputable supplier. if it still does it then i can only assume that i must have super strong sweat that eats anti-fog coating :)

will have to wait and see.

thanks for all the comments, i think i might give them another go, but with an authentic replacement lense from a reputable supplier. if it still does it then i can only assume that i must have super strong sweat that eats anti-fog coating :)

will have to wait and see.

You don't happen to be a Xenomorph and sweat acid by any chance do you?! :-)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.