Is Tokyo Marui Recoil Shock worth the extra money?

Super64

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I'm going to be buying my first brand new gun soon and I've been doing loads of research into what to buy. I've pretty much narrowed it down to HK416/417.

I've been looking at the VFC HK417 and think it looks awesome, I'm very keen to buy it. From what I've read and watched on youtube the general consensus is great unbeatable externals, very good internals (although I've heard some say the internals are questionable), a bit on the heavy side and the mags are two big for most pouches and expensive to buy. But that hasn't put me off.

On the other hand I've heard great things about the Tokyo Marui HK416 Recoil Shock. Realistic bolt system, good externals and internals and once you've used the recoil system you'll not want to go back to a none recoil AEG.

So the question is for anyone who's used either, or who has experience of using both, is the TM 416 worth an extra £200 for the recoil system?

Also, how hard wearing is it. Is it likely to break after a few months of use?

I have the money for the Tokyo Marui, but it would limit my other purchases for a while, accessories, load outs etc. so if it's not worth the extra I would rather get the VFC and buy the other bits I've been looking at.

Thanks, any advice would be welcome.

• Supporters

VFC 417s are very hit and miss internally. The TM recoils are great, if you can afford one without suffering do so. You will end up dissapointed if you try one having not bought one.

Shouldn't break, I've got a socom m4 that's been fine for over a year, and a scar that's the same (bar a battery connector I accidentally snapped off and can't be bothered to fix), and the 416s have updates over those to be even more reliable.

The only question is whether you really want a 417 over 416 or not. If you don't mind hugely go for the TM.

the tm recoils are defiantly worth the money you just have to remember that they dont take normal mags they only take specific tm recoil mags as these stop the gun firing after the last shot has been fired like gbb or the real thing but the performance is amazing defiantly worth it!

TM recoils are very fun to use. The recoil is nice and snappy but light,but enough to put you off using standard AEGs. Internally they are sound,a massive improvement over TM's old line,they are pulling m90 springs along with another spring and a 200g recoil weight. gearset is twice as thick as a standard one and the new shell design is nice and beefy which cannot be said for the VFC 417s shell. The new design hop up units are very effective, .28s sail very happily.

External quality is on par with VFC. Most airsoft guns all use the standard Zamak-4 metal and it's an M4 so they all feel the same really,feels solid with the heft in all the right places(Unlike some chinese clones,I swear they are mixing in lead to those things!)

If you are itching for a 417 Marui are releasing one in about a century.

• Supporters

I think the TM 417 is more likely to be late next year at the earliest. It took them like three years to do the hk45 and m&p when they had models. They don't even have a picture of their 417 yet, just a Photoshopped image of a real one.

• Supporters

the marui 417 is a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG way off at the moment, they don't even have a display prototype yet. The picture on the teaser poster they put out is a real HK417,

As for whether recoil shock is worth it... depends, can you comfortably afford to drop £500 on a BB gun and then probably another £150 on magazines? if so, HELL YEAH they're worth it, best AEG you can buy! So many more features than the VFC; Recoil, working bolt stop, real dimension magazines, reliable, no crappy umarex trademarks.

Aw man, I knew this would be the case.

I really like the look of the 417. It's just that little bit different to the M4's that are all over the place. But I like the idea of the recoil and the fully functioning bolt. I've been looking at 417s on Land Warrior for £345 and the 416 on Fire Support for £545 for the DEVGRU version. They also have a custom version for £670 with optics and all the extras I'd be buying otherwise.

I'll not be on the UKARA database for another month, so not buying just yet, but that just gives me more time to not be able to make up my mind.

If I was to decide the 416 was to expensive and so take it out of the equation, is the VFC 417 a good buy at £345 to £400? Anyone with experience of it and feedback?

To this day.... I've never met a man who brought a TM recoil and then reverted back to a non recoil equivelant. The recoil function is a completely new dimension to your gameplay and once you've tried it you will ALWAYS miss it. Seriously if someone tried to swap me a £1200 systema for my £600 recoil I'd honestly laugh in they're face. I'm not knocking system (they are incredible guns) but I will always feel naked with no recoil. Yes gas gives a harder kick but for me I can't be asked with extremely lo cap expensive mags and the maintenance.

It's quite simple... If you can afford a recoil... BUY A RECOIL

If your cute... Pimp your own ass to afford one. If your ugly... Pump your mother! Just do what it takes!

Don't want to hi-jack the thread but seen as a lot of you are TM Recoil guys, what's your opinion on the KWA RM4? I'm thinking of getting one, maybe the non-MAGPUL ERG, depending on price / when it's the released.

I imagine it will be around £250 range without the MAGPUL stuff as well.

I'm not too keen on the ERGs to be honest. But to be fair I do think they are quite good. Perhaps where TM have made the first recoil guns they have become the 'standard' so anything slightly different to it will feel awkward or odd.

I remember years ago when I was into mixing on turntables (vinyl records music format for those of you born after 1990 lol) and back then a company called technics (a Gucci subsidery branch of Panasonic) produced a model called '1210s' ( pronounced twelve tens). They were the first direct drive motor driven as apossd to belt drive so they were miles ahead of the competition. Problem was they stayed the industry standard for 15 years despite much better stuff coming out. They only really died out once these modern young DJs came through using CD and MP3 formats instead.

Oh those were the days

Ooh, now there's an idea.

I've just been looking at the KWA RM4 and it looks nice. I may end up getting the VFC 417, just because it looks freaking awesome, and then a few months down the line get the KWA. Get the 2 guns for just a little more than the cost of the TM 416.

Ooh, the possibilities.

• Supporters

I'm not too keen on the ERGs to be honest. But to be fair I do think they are quite good. Perhaps where TM have made the first recoil guns they have become the 'standard' so anything slightly different to it will feel awkward or odd.

I remember years ago when I was into mixing on turntables (vinyl records music format for those of you born after 1990 lol) and back then a company called technics (a Gucci subsidery branch of Panasonic) produced a model called '1210s' ( pronounced twelve tens). They were the first direct drive motor driven as apossd to belt drive so they were miles ahead of the competition. Problem was they stayed the industry standard for 15 years despite much better stuff coming out. They only really died out once these modern young DJs came through using CD and MP3 formats instead.

Oh those were the days

1210s? Showing your age there mate! :)

GHK G5s kick quite hard... I shot one 2 weeks ago and one of my crew use one all the time. I'm sure it should be kicking harder than the PTS! Did you fill it with farts or green gas? Or did you just blow into it?

GHK G5s kick quite hard... I shot one 2 weeks ago and one of my crew use one all the time. I'm sure it should be kicking harder than the PTS! Did you fill it with farts or green gas? Or did you just blow into it?

Nope mine is working just fine - I honestly was not expecting such a kick from a recoil AEG, after all they just fake it through a number of mechanisms

GHK G5 kicks like an absolute mule,not a sloppy hard kick either,it was very rapid,hard and crisp. KWA ERG apparently kicks hard too but I doubt it's anywhere near the level of the G5. I can't comment too much since I've only used a G5 and nobody I know owns a KWA ERG,I'm just voicing my doubts that a recoil AEG has near the amount of kick as a GBB with a particularly strong kick.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.