Camouflage Tape

Yuriski

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all,

So, I browsed this topic (http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/20986-two-tone-guns-and-tape/) in order to try and find out if it was perfectly legal for an under-18 (Myself) to cover up the blue areas on my two-tone AEG with camo tape. However, I could not find a simple yes/no answer, and upon looking at the multiple arguments that people made in that thread, I could not come to a conclusion myself.

Simply put, if I cover the non-black areas in tape when I reach the site, and remove the tape before I leave, will there be any legal issues? (A simple 'yes' or 'no' will suffice, however feel free to explain to me why if you do so wish.)

Cheers,

- Yuriski.

I think the general consensus is "no legal issues as long as you remove the tape".

I have also been informed you can use rail covers if that's something else you want to look into :)

Hello all,

So, I browsed this topic (http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/20986-two-tone-guns-and-tape/) in order to try and find out if it was perfectly legal for an under-18 (Myself) to cover up the blue areas on my two-tone AEG with camo tape. However, I could not find a simple yes/no answer, and upon looking at the multiple arguments that people made in that thread, I could not come to a conclusion myself.

Simply put, if I cover the non-black areas in tape when I reach the site, and remove the tape before I leave, will there be any legal issues? (A simple 'yes' or 'no' will suffice, however feel free to explain to me why if you do so wish.)

Cheers,

- Yuriski.

legal issues - probably no

breaking a law - probably yes

much like cycling in the dark with a blinking lights (law says it has to be constant, but you're very unlikely to ever get in trouble over this.)

Legally speaking you can paint the whole thing black now if you like (or stick tape all over it permanently), since the defence against prosecution for the manufacture of a RIF is not age specific. To have such a defence you need only show that you manufactured the RIF so that you could use it to play airsoft at a site with third party liability insurance, which is what you seem to be intending to do (and I assume could prove before the game by showing a booking or after the game by showing that you had turned up and played).

Then again, and as always, what the law says and how officers of the law understand it and/or carry it out are not always the same thing.

Thanks for all your responses - I think I'll probably just apply and remove the tape at the site. Since I'm new to skirmishing and airsoft in general, I'll be posting some more questions over the following months.

Longshot, he is only able to paint his gun after he is a proven airsofter which normally entails site membership of some short and 3 or more games which is the convention.

As for tape while you're playing at a site is fine, at some sites its mandatory, but take ti off before you get in your car to go home

Legally speaking you can paint the whole thing black now if you like (or stick tape all over it permanently), since the defence against prosecution for the manufacture of a RIF is not age specific. To have such a defence you need only show that you manufactured the RIF so that you could use it to play airsoft at a site with third party liability insurance, which is what you seem to be intending to do (and I assume could prove before the game by showing a booking or after the game by showing that you had turned up and played).

Then again, and as always, what the law says and how officers of the law understand it and/or carry it out are not always the same thing.

very good point! thou as I understand it, playing once is not a legal defence?

playing once would not constitute a legal defence. The convention is you need to be a member of a site. if you phoned up a store and said i've played a few times I highly doubt they'd sell you a RIF

Technically you don't have to have played a single game at all, since the defence against prosecution for the crime of manufacturing a RIF is merely that you did so:

"...for the purpose of making the imitation firearm in question available for" ... "the acting out of military or law enforcement scenarios for the purposes of recreation" in a setting "for which public liability insurance is held in relation to liabilities to third parties arising from or in connection with the organisation and holding of those activities."

In other words, if someone said: "why did you make that RIF?" A perfectly acceptable legal answer would be: "to make it available to myself to play airsoft at such and such a site."

Of course, you'd have to show that this was actually the case, e.g. through showing a booking, deposit paid, etc. There is also a precedent for this from one of the founding members of UKARA; at a past Ground Zero Weekender (as run by Zeroone) they were selling RIFs to anyone who had paid to attend with no further checks. Presumably they felt legally able to sell to these people, some of whom had never played before, on the basis that they were doing so in the way I have highlighted above.

Technically you can do anything and not get prosecuted.

Its a defence that will stand up in court, saying i played one game or are planning on playing a game would not

If it was like you say the UKARA or site memberships wouldn't be required to buy form stores

Who says it wouldn't stand up in court? It matches the exact wording of the law. UKARA isn't the law, and the court can't just make up a law, they must work within the legal framework, the exact wording of which I quoted above.

Look, I'm not saying do it, I'm saying that what the law says (and therefore what a court must work with) and what a lot of people say the law says (which is often essentially just quoting UKARA guidelines) are not the same thing.

The more important point is, as I always point out, what a police officer who may question you about your RIF decides to do. Which is why it's always easier to make everyone's life as simple as possible and 'overprotect' yourself.

If it was like you say the UKARA or site memberships wouldn't be required to buy form stores

Sorry to run on, but I just saw this point. Those things are not required to buy from stores. Also, I've already given an example of when one of the UKARA founding stores sold to people without UKARA membership or site memberships.

Whether or not it would stand up in court would only be seen if it was taken to court, which to be fair is highly unlikely

But its better safe than sorry and I do not want anyone bring disrepute to this sport that too many people want to get rid of so tape at games is fine but do not spray your gun until you can convincingly prove a valid defence, site membership or UKARA are the best options, some might look beyond but thats their choice

Yeah, I have no plans in spraying my gun - or as a matter of fact buying a RIF - before gaining UKARA membership when I'm 18. I'm pretty sure my parents wouldn't want a RIF in the house either, considering that I have a 9 month old sister, who may have a chance of getting access to it (of course, getting hold of an IF at that age is equally as bad). Camo tape seems the best option at this time, however thanks for your replies, Longshot and Nickona.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.