Plate Carrier vs Chest Rig

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm torn, I cant quite decide which way to go. I'm not wanting to carry a million and ten things. the main things I need to carry are x3 m4 mags, x1 40mm BFG, x2 pistol mags, pistol, possibly some where for water and bbs and loader on a longer day.

My pistol and mags, I keep in either a fobus hip holsters, or a drop leg holster and I find that works quite well.

At the moment i'm mostly playing small indoor cqb, but looking to start playing some bigger woodland games.

In my noobish state a molle plate carrier seems excessive, but better value for money in terms of versatility, and better protection from elements in the outdoors. Although restrictive in movement and more weight.

I like the idea of a chest rig, and very almost bought a Tactical Tailor Mini Mav, but it will fill up quickly with only the basics and seems restrictive for options. Also kitted, it comes close to £80. Its limiting also to the gear I could carry on a bigger day, but better suited to indoors.

in an ideal situation, I would get a plate carrier for woodland and a chest rig for indoor, and swap the pouches over but that leads me the next dilemma of colours. I'm far from the fashion police. in the mill I like to wear dark jeans and a black hoodie with a black mask to be all stealth ninja. Obviously that ain't going to work in the wood so will be on a set of surplus mtp. Will black pouches on a mtp vest work? or will it look a bit shit?

Price wise a kitted chest rig closes on £80. Vest wise kitted are between £120 and £150 for a WAS Ricas kitted dependant on colour. They also pop up preloved cheaper.

so although a vest is a third more expensive, its also two thirds more versatile.

I really cant decide which way to go, so come on out geardos help me out share some advice and experience and recommendations.

Much love, Mr Monkey.

TL:DR

Plate carrier or chest rig?

• Supporters

I have a WAS 901 chest rig with the back panel. Best of both worlds that way, you have the smaller, lighter chest rig with the added protection and MOLLE real estate of the back panel. I got mine as a set on ebay for £70ish if I remember correctly. Choose your pouches wisely and you'll be fine. I run two double M4 pouches (I can carry up to 8 mags at a time), a double pistol mag pouch, triple 40mm grenade pouch and a torch/suppressor pouch and there's still space on the front!

If you only use the lower part of the chest rig you can fold the "bib" part down and tuck it away inside.

You could also look at things like the Condor Recon rig which has mag pouches permanently attached which while a little less versatile is certainly cheaper (under £40 from Military 1st).

I guess it's partly down to looks, partly down to practicality. I find a plate carrier is too sweaty to wear all day - a chest rig with just the straps is certainly lighter and airier!

Something like this has best of both worlds. http://www.taiwangun.com/en/commando-recon-chest-harness-type-vest-black-8fields?from=listing&campaign-id=19

Keep the panel if you want a bit more protection or get shut if you just want to run it as a chest rig. For the price you could get a couple- one in black for CQB ninja fun and one in OD (when they're back in stock) as it's versatile enough of a colour to go with a few camo types.

I use the condor one without the sewn in pouches... I can fit 6x M4, 2x pistol and an administration pouch without any hassle. Add a belt and I can add 6x smokes, 3x M4, 2x pistol, dump pouch, maxpexition sabre cat. And a 3ltr water pack.

I would also say I have plenty more room to add bits...

• Supporters

for 3 magazines and a BFG a mini MAV is absolutely perfect, spare BBs and speed loader can be kept in a trouser pocket. Pistol on your right hip (assuming you're right handed), pistol mags on the other hip, or even on the MAV, you'll have plenty of room. For water carriage you can either have a bottle in a trouser pocket or get a camel bak.

Personally I'd say plate carrier = CQB and chest rig = woodland. You'll appreciate the extra protection a PC provides in CQB as you'll be getting shot from up close a lot more, not only that, unless you really splash out and get a super lightweight carrier they're actually quite heavy and you'll feel the weight slogging it round the woods all day. If I know I'm gonna be out for a full day in the woods I'll wear an LBT1961G with a little backpack... more carrying space than I could ever use but it's light and offers plenty of ventilation so I don't overheat. For FIBUA or CQB I'll rock out a plate carrier as I know I'm probably not going to be hiking long distances or having to get down on my front very often.

I run a JPC, its light and it comes with a triple M4 kangaroo pouch so your halfway there already.

£40 free postage on TB airsoft

http://www.tbairsoft.com/g-tmc-skirmich-jumper-plate-carrier-aor2-tmc1803-p-1965.html

and i believe they sell it in multicam.

JPC isn't a bad shout actually, you'll need to make/buy some fake plates to put in it though or it'll flap around all over the place.

Most of the clone JPC's come with the fake plates mate. I just picked one up myself.

I used to use a cheap tactical vest. I now of course use pattern 37 webbing. Webbing is still an option worth considering, whether it's just a belt setup for CQB or a full load for a multiday milsim. Whether it's P37 ww2 stuff, P54 falklands era stuff or PLCE.

Most of the clone JPC's come with the fake plates mate. I just picked one up myself.

Mac,

Been looking at these myself - where did you get yours from?

Thanks for the replies guys, I have been mulling over all the options for too long and left myself short on time. I really like the MIni Mav, but just can't justify spending £80 on one when I can get a full plate carrier for the same.

In the end I panicked and got a Multicam SA vest, it should give me enough space and flexibility, if not as gucci as I was planning. And at £35 if its useless I haven't lost too much.

I have my first woodland game at Macclesfield this weekend ... and i'm buzzing!

I will review this dilemma at a later date when I get a G5 and I need something for QCB games.

• Supporters

Thanks for the replies guys, I have been mulling over all the options for too long and left myself short on time. I really like the MIni Mav, but just can't justify spending £80 on one when I can get a full plate carrier for the same.

In the end I panicked and got a Multicam SA vest, it should give me enough space and flexibility, if not as gucci as I was planning. And at £35 if its useless I haven't lost too much.

I have my first woodland game at Macclesfield this weekend ... and i'm buzzing!

I will review this dilemma at a later date when I get a G5 and I need something for QCB games.

Fear not, we all have the "Did I buy the right gear?" dilemma at first and it's a rare and lucky player that gets it right first time.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.