Removing allen key bolt with rounded head? ( vsr10 clone )

rexfan10

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone,

So I have encountered a bit of a problem. Whilst taking the two screws out of my vsr 10 clone to remove the stock i found the screw/bolt nearest the trigger was in pretty tight ( my fault for over tightening it ). I gave it a bit of force and it rounded the groove where the allen key is meant to fit.

My first attempt to remove it was to superglue the allen key in/onto the bolt however the super glue wasnt strong enough and the allen key broke free. unfortunely the head is flush with the stock meaning i cant use a hack saw to make a groove for a flathead screw driver. The only other thing i can thing to do is buy a dremmel and use the smallest cutting disc I can find to make a groove so that i can use a flathead screw driver to remove it.

If this fails does anybody have any other tips/reccomendations?

Cheers,

Rex

Something like this should do:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/rolson-6-part-damaged-screw-and-bolt-remover-n18cx

You use them in an electric screw driver or a manual one and unscrew as normal. The tip of the extractor will bite into the worn screw and it should start coming out.

In the past I have also drilled them out. I use a small bit first to go down the centre of the screw to a marked depth on the bit and then widen it slowly with additional bits until the core of the screw is done for. You then find screwing in a replacement and removing it removes the bits that are stuck in the grooves pretty quickly.

But a bolt remover is probably a better safer way to go.

Thats what Dad's are for, sorting out any DIY job you can't do :)

• 1 month later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.