Has anyone built a rifle body from scratch?

NH Shooter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all... I'm trying to get my hands on a decent dmr base. But I can't abide an M4 variant, and nothing else really takes my fancy. So what I'd really like is a SL9... Thing is... Not only are they rare, but the design is a bit lacking. All that stock, but no place for a battery, based on a G36, terribly awkward disassembly... It just doesn't sit right.

So what would be better... Would be to make a body based in a M4 hop, V2 box, rear wired hollow stock for a much bigger battery... Etc. Realistically out of carbon fibre...

Has anyone had any experience of doing anything similar? Any pitfalls you found?

That's a fairly big & difficult task. What tools do you have access to. Mills? CNC mills? lathes? any sort of injection molding or powder metallurgy equipment? Hell,if you have the skill you can even make a mini-foundry and sand cast the thing.

Look up some forum threads on how cosplay enthusiasts build replica weapon bodies with various plastics,and how to work with carbon fiber. I'd say carbon fiber is not a very realistic option,that stuff is expensive and hard to work with on an amateur level,AFIAK one guy made a spartan laser replica and had a very good guide on how he made it. Started off as a body of glued ABS reinforced with many many sheets and layers of fiberglass.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/redshirt98s-halo-spartan-laser-airsoft-weapon-212510/

What sort of body do you have in mind? CAD drawings or any sort of manufacturing/design drawings are a must.

It is not impossible-it has been done before. Just saying it is a very big task to undertake.

You could buy all the external components separately from retailers, buy a decent GB shell and high end parts for it and have a gun tech install them for you? That way you get your solid stock, M4 receiver (or you could make an MP5 DMR? MP5, solid stock, G3 front end?) and whatever else you want in your ideal DMR.

Have access to cnc and manual lathe and mill. Autoclave. Minor rapid prototype... And working with carbon isn't an issue.

The rifle would be a better designed SL9 based on an M4 build... Same disassembly, etc. Thankfully the workings are all self contained, so once they are bedded in, the rest is pretty simple... I'm liking the cosplay idea... Would be helpful to get your mould... Good call!

• Supporters

V2 gearbox and M4 hopup is the worst possible choice for a DMR.

V2 is veak - you need an aluminum CNC version if you want it really strong, and the m4 hopup is the least accorate of them all.

I would use an M14 platform. That is the best choice for a DMR - and also the smallest GB so you can fit it in any custom body.

Not sure on the hop side. It only has to provide a simple function, a properly made one should be no more or less agitate than any other... But the M4 variant is just my only point of reference so far... I will need to dig... The cnc gearbox though isn't an issue...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.